Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My FJ is a dual purpose machine, a daily driver and an off roader. I also take long trips in it as well. It should come as little surprise that I have an overall weight saving program in mind as I add MODS. When the time came to start thinking about a winch I thought why carry that extra weight around all the time when I only will be using it off road. That is when I decided to use a multi mount on a 2” receiver. It will also serve as part of a future bumper build.

Now before some of you go off about how a 2” receiver wont handle the stress, yada yada yada, save it. The Multi mount has been proven over several years and I am comfortable with it’s use. After all it is my rig and in the end if it fails it is my problem.

I was inspired by another forum member who I’d like to thank but I cant find the thread

The photos and captions speak for themselves.

1-Stock without bumper cover (what a POS that thing is)
2-AC line standoff, this will be modified to hold AC line once moved back toward radiator
3-Bumper standoff, not holes, these will be used as a mounting point for 2" receiver
4-2" receiver raw, front
5-2" receiver raw, rear view

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1-Test Fit Raw
2-Test fit-side view
3-Painted and installed-front view
4-Painted and installed-side view
5-Back together ready to go to work

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lookin very cool! I love the modular-mod's that can be used or removed to outfit the truck as necessary for the planned expedition of the day.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Nice work, looks good.

When you do go off-road, where will you carry the winch?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lookin very cool! I love the modular-mod's that can be used or removed to outfit the truck as necessary for the planned expedition of the day.
Thanks much:)

It looks great. If you get a receiver cargo rack, someone could ride up there and take pics when you take it off road.
Interesting idea Scott, I'd be scared to run them over
Great job, very clean ;)
Thankyou
Nice work, looks good.

When you do go off-road, where will you carry the winch?
Thankyou,
It will be secured in the back with nylon ratchet straps
I can't wait to see it in action, I just hope it's not me your saving.
Best case scenario is that I only use the compressor to air up at the end of the day. I bought a Warn Powerplant 12,000 lb winch.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I freaking love it. This is what I've wanted to do for a long time. Man, how I wish a vendor would step up with a kit for this....

NCFJ: name your price if you want to make me one....

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I figured somebody would post this Idea/ setup. It's not a new thing but a great way to solve several problems. I bet you sell a bunch, so when will they be available?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I freaking love it. This is what I've wanted to do for a long time. Man, how I wish a vendor would step up with a kit for this....

NCFJ: name your price if you want to make me one....
Like everything else a person fabs up for themself, the price would just be too high to try and sell them. I am not a fab shop, just a guy that likes playing with steel and a welder :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Like everything else a person fabs up for themself, the price would just be too high to try and sell them. I am not a fab shop, just a guy that likes playing with steel and a welder :)
Ok, but did you save the dimensions for us?

Your not the first with this clever idea. The first made his, but didn't take any measurements...just kinda "winged" it as he went along. The next (a vendor)said he could certainly fabricate it, but someone got his panties in a wad when he was called out for procrastinating, and he took his tools and kleenex home to whine (he's the sensitive kind). You sir are the third...

So may we please have the dimensions of your receiver?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've not written down the measurements for it but I suppose I could. I thought that anyone iinterested in doing it for themselves could look at the photos and fab one up for themselves.

The Curt unit that is made for the FJ puts the receiver under the bumper where it will certainly lower the entry angle. This unit is available for $149.00 and is mass produced. It also says it is a 3 piece unit which I dont quite understand.

I may be willing to produce a couple if someone is interested I just dont know what it woould be worth to someone. I certainly cant do it for $150.00 it would simply not be worth the effort. Liability issues also come into play.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts