Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a Midland 75822, GOBI mount and a 2 ft Firestik II
My question is, Is there much performance difference between the 2ft and 3ft antenna? I understand the longer antenna, theoretically you get more range.

My issue is that I park in a 7ft parking garage at work and I barely squeeze in as it is. The 2ft antenna just makes it, same height as my Yakima roof rack that's mounted on my factory rack.
If I went with the 3ft antenna I definitely wont fit,

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You could go with a 3-4 foot antenna and put on a quick disconnect so that you can take it off when you don't need it, but still have the better reception of the taller antenna.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OR I CAN JUST LEAVE IT OFF. I park in a parking garage every day,
I could also get a 17ft whip and tie it to my front bumper when I go in the garage.

What I am asking is, Is there much reception difference on the FJ with a 2ft compared to a 3ft antenna?

·
Registered
410 Posts
That was a little aggressive of a response. Reception wise not much different. If you are using it on the trail then the other drivers should be in a close proximity that a large antenna isn't necessary. I personally like my 4ft just because it looks like an RC car.:lol:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
OR I CAN JUST LEAVE IT OFF. I park in a parking garage every day,
I could also get a 17ft whip and tie it to my front bumper when I go in the garage.

What I am asking is, Is there much reception difference on the FJ with a 2ft compared to a 3ft antenna?
Fair enough. I'd recommend PMing VegasNick with radio questions, he's very knowledgeable on the topic. I'm not sure about the difference, but my limited knowledge of physics tells me that the longer antenna will get you better reception and range, unsure of how much. Does 2ft clear the max height of anything on the FJ?
We have lots of trucks with two 10ft whips attached to no radios here in Hickville, USA, so it wouldn't be the most unusual thing to see on an FJ. You'd probably be able to use it as a limb riser on tight trails, too! :wink

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JonDer for the reply.
I asked a specific question and you answered it.
I just figured there are enough people on here that have used the same setup that I just put on and both may have the 3 ft antenna or the 2ft antenna
Anyone that parks in a garage at a house or a parking garage has the dilemma of the 7-7.5 ft thing going on.

I've just read many posts on here lately that some people just like to reply even though they admit they have no clue.
Like a post when a person asked about The brake and traction control lights on a 6speed transmission FJ that all on at the same time and someone replays, "go to the Dealership I'm not sure I have automatic", Really?

SO when I ask a question,"Is there much performance difference between the 2ft and 3ft antenna" and the reply is go with a 4ft and get a quick disconnect because physics tells me that the longer antenna will get you better reception and range, that's pointless, because its not answering the question.

It would also be like asking a 7 year old "Did you break the TV with the soccer ball?" and the Child would respond, You can buy a new TV at Best Buy!

·
Desert Moderator
5,583 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,583 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Another alternative would be to store the antenna when not in use. I store mine inside when not on the trail so it doesn't get stolen or chewed up going into parking garages. I do not use a quick disconnect, just apply some dielectric grease every time I'm gettin the FJ ready for the trail and its just as easy to unscrew. After I store the CB antenna I replace it with a stainless steel bolt to keep dirt and water from building up in the spring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
SO when I ask a question,"Is there much performance difference between the 2ft and 3ft antenna" and the reply is go with a 4ft and get a quick disconnect because physics tells me that the longer antenna will get you better reception and range, that's pointless, because its not answering the question.
Because the answer to your first question is so obvious, I'm not sure why you'd even waste the time to ask it. Of course a 3 foot antenna has much better range than a 2 foot antenna. Your real question was whether or not the benefit was worth not being able to park in the garage anymore.

4 foot antenna + quick disconnect solves both your range and your height limitations, unless you use your radio while driving to work and then get to work and have to remove the antenna. If the CB is just for offroading, this is a better solution than either option your question presented.

Another bit of advice, go with a more flexible antenna and even if you forget to take it off when pulling into the garage at home or work, it won't break anything.

Good luck! And the nice part is, following this advice ^^^ is pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
Just curious, are you finding the need for more range than your two foot antenna provides? Or is this thread speculation? I think most of us users on here only attach the antenna when wheeling. We don't enter or plan to use them in parking garages/urban environments. Having your two foot antenna and a 3/4 footer all on quick connects is probably the best solution.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I actually just switched from a 3' to a pair of 2' and 4' antennas. The shorty is on everyday for regular use and it still fits in my garage, but I have the longer one for road trips and trail use. Last year at summit I was bringing up the rear on one of the trails and we got spread out far enough that reception was a bit spotty even with the 3' antenna which is why I decided up upgrade.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thanks JonDer for the reply.
I asked a specific question and you answered it.
I just figured there are enough people on here that have used the same setup that I just put on and both may have the 3 ft antenna or the 2ft antenna
Anyone that parks in a garage at a house or a parking garage has the dilemma of the 7-7.5 ft thing going on.

I've just read many posts on here lately that some people just like to reply even though they admit they have no clue.
Like a post when a person asked about The brake and traction control lights on a 6speed transmission FJ that all on at the same time and someone replays, "go to the Dealership I'm not sure I have automatic", Really?

It would also be like asking a 7 year old "Did you break the TV with the soccer ball?" and the Child would respond, You can buy a new TV at Best Buy!
I think someone already said it, but optimally the 4ft Firefly is the best. Leave off the spring and use a QD. I have had customers by a 2ft that they leave on around town and put he 4ft on for the trail. Tune them both and you have the best of both worlds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts