1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
It's a good price for a new level lift. Often preowned sets are for sale on the forum when someone decides to put a full lift on. I would consider waiting for a gently used set or save a little more money and buy a 3" lift.

I started with a level lift and it was not on for long. I either gave it away or sold it cheap to another forum member.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The two inch levels the truck up very well. It is economical and as far tires go it allows you to run a 285 if you want.

I went with extremetrucktoys - Specializing in lift kits and the billet aluminum spacer. There are pros and cons to aluminum and the welded steel spacers. It is all in what you want to spend your money on.

Enjoy the new stanse....You are going to love it when you park next to a stocker... I know I do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The two inch levels the truck up very well. It is economical and as far tires go it allows you to run a 285 if you want.

I went with extremetrucktoys - Specializing in lift kits and the billet aluminum spacer. There are pros and cons to aluminum and the welded steel spacers. It is all in what you want to spend your money on.

Enjoy the new stanse....You are going to love it when you park next to a stocker... I know I do.
I'm still trying to figure out how these spacers work. Do the go on top of the strut and if so how do they lift the truck? Toytec goes on top of the spring and that I can understand. Any help out there? :wave:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I read this a LOT, about running 285s after a lift. I run 285s stock. Are we talking about 16s or 17s, and wouldn't the 17s be bigger anyway? (I run 17s so I'm a bit confused why any type of lift would be necessary as I have no probs). Just curious.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The 17 and 16s are the same size due to aspect ratios (I think).... I hear that people run 285's totally stock.... Thats cool. Personally I just like the look of the truck levelled out and without the stock rake. Strictly a personal taste thing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The 17 and 16s are the same size due to aspect ratios (I think).... I hear that people run 285's totally stock.... Thats cool. Personally I just like the look of the truck levelled out and without the stock rake. Strictly a personal taste thing.
Well, I do have a 2" OME kit on its way to me, so I hope I agree with you. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can someone explain where these spacers go?

Also I'm trying to understand that on some of these kits they just include rear springs, is that all it takes to raise the back??

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
with a level lift you do not touch the rear end of the truck. It strictly raises the front of the truck only. It gets rid of the rake of the front end.

There are two types of spacer lifts in the 2in "level lift" category. One requires the spring to be compressed and the spacer placed inside the coilover. The other does not require compression and is easily placed on top of the coilover.

I went the easiest/economical route of a 1in aluminum spacer placed on top of the coilover assembly. The 1in spacer produces 2inches of lift, thus bringing the front end up level with the rear. When measuring from the ground across the hub to the fender flare I came within a 1/4inch difference at each corner.

This is how the truck looked about a month after. I think the pic shows the difference from stock if you look closely at the space between the fron tire and the fender flare. I really like the look of it. That was over 2 years and over 80,000kms ago. No alignment issues at all.

Here is the truck today....It hasn't changed at all how it sits.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
LOL....I am going to blame it on the girlfriends driveway sloping out to the road since I can't afford your lift kit. The truck only carries an 18lb wheelchair back there so I think I am still safe....lol. I need a folding chair so I can get one of those drawer sets....THEN I will have some sag and be forced into lifting the whole truck...

Until then I am a happy levelled guy...lol.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
This leveling negatively affect your highway gas mileage noticeably?
Not in the least. A lift kit will not affect your mileage. Your mileage gets affected by the bigger tires and heavier wheels. "Unsprung weight" is a big mpg killer. Any weight will affect mpg, but weight added below the suspension is extra hard on it. I don't totally understand the physics (Belly Doc where are you when I need you...lol) but the motor is forced to work harder to turn heavier weight of the bigger tires. More torque requested of the motor to "turn" the bigger weight is created by burning more gas to give more torque.

Clear as mud???? lol.

The level lift is a simple spacer in my case. I didn't increase the size of my tire from the stock 265 so my mileage was unaffected. It is affected in the winter when I put on my steelies. Pick up a steelie and then an alloy and you will notice the difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not in the least. A lift kit will not affect your mileage. Your mileage gets affected by the bigger tires and heavier wheels. "Unsprung weight" is a big mpg killer. Any weight will affect mpg, but weight added below the suspension is extra hard on it. I don't totally understand the physics (Belly Doc where are you when I need you...lol) but the motor is forced to work harder to turn heavier weight of the bigger tires. More torque requested of the motor to "turn" the bigger weight is created by burning more gas to give more torque.
It is quite easy to understand, as you pretty much just stated the physical reason behind it.

Unsprung weight, is just that. Weight that is not sitting on the springs(wheels, tires, axles, and brakes). A better term to use for unsprung weight is unsprung mass or rotational mass. If you increase the weight of the items that "rotate" it will take more work (force x distance). Therefore, in the case of adding rotational mass, the force used to "turn" the components will yield a high degree of work over a certain distance. Thus, more energy will be necessary to achieve this task. Hence, you MPG will eventually decline.

Hmmmm, I probably could have explained that a bit better. Sorry.

Do you have any troubles off-roading with just your leveled spacer? I am looking into getting into some trail riding (no major rock crawling), but i didnt want a 3 or 6 inch lift yet. I just wasnt sure how capable a leveled FJ was on trails.

Cheers,
Nathan

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I am not an extreme off roader but I find the truck very capable on the trail. I am from the Northeast and have wheeled with the FJ Northeasters at Rausch Creek Off Road Park a couple times over the last year. I have done the green trails without any trouble at all. The truck is far more capable than I am...lol... But I must say that the things I have done with them on the trail have amazed me. To answer your question ... It has only made it better in my books.

Here are a couple pics of my truck loving the rocks of Rausch....hehehe

Entering trail J1... My first time three wheelin'

Trail 14... a little bit of everything. Rocks and even some mud for fun

A little off camber

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please confirm on how you check if your FJ is level? Do you measure the height from the front and rear fenders or is there another method?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts