Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving the Luke air show today with my 2007 FJ when a fellow aviation nerd informed me that my driver and passenger brake lights were not working while the 3rd brake light was.

I pulled over to investigate.

The third brake light over the window comes on when I press the brake pedal.
The taillights come on when I turn on the headlight switch.
The fuses that I could find seemed to be ok.

So since I'm assuming the taillights and brake lights are the same item, and the brake switch appears to be working, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Z.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mhslacrosse,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any shop work done, the only work I've done was fluid changes. I just went through all the fuses that seemed to be related to lighting and swapped them out with new fuses just to make sure. Still no passenger or driver brake lights.

:mecry:

·
Registered
276 Posts
happened to me a few months ago. I went in and had the codes read 2 times.

First they said it was my LED tail lights, so i swapped them out. Stock Bulb Tail lights went out a week later again.

Second time they claimed the ABS sensor "might" be faulty and need replacing, not covered, so comeback if it happens again. They cleared the codes.

2 Days later, Engine throttle motor went out and my Brake Sensor Switch broke. The Sensor switch is not covered and was about 145.00. Luckily this is what it might be for you. Not a ABS sensor because those aren't covered and probably cost as much as 1000.00

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Replace the bulbs before taking to dealer. Taillights can still work when brake lights burn out. It's a double filament bulb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the bulbs before taking to dealer. Taillights can still work when brake lights burn out. It's a double filament bulb.
After three hours with a multimeter in the autozone parking lot, I determined that you are absolutely correct :)

Two things to keep in mind for anyone else that stumbles across this thread.

1 - Bring a small-handed wife/girlfriend along to reach into the pocket where the bulbs are. It's a tight fit for a big fisted dude like me.

2 - Removing the subwoofer sucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts