Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering about those of you that have the Maggiolina AirTop/AirLand RTTs, if I can install a 57" wide model (Medium) on the RTT/Flat Rack Bajarack? The rack is 51" and the tents are 57", so there would be 3" overhang on each side. That doesn't bother med, but if the mounting locations are on the edge, then I wouldn't be able to bolt it directly to the rack.

I am also on the fence on whether or not to get a Maggnolia that will take up damned near all the top rack, or if I should get an ARB foldout tent that wil leave room on the back of the rack for 4 gas/water cans/footlocker/ etc. Those of you that have the ARB tent/Foldout tent, how do you like it and is it easy for one person (the wife will not be helping heh)?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did read through all that (jealous) and he states a medium, but that was on the old cross-member roof rack. I was wondering if he had to change anything up when he moved to the flat/RTT rack, with regard to the factory tent mounting hole locations.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I found this:

StowAway Swingaway Individual Frame #22.9

2" swingout receiver with a 250lbs limit. 5 gas cans should 150, and the bikes should be well under 100. I could build my own cage system and fab it to fit on the mount points. So this might be the ticket, allowing me to get a full size Maggiolina RTT.

We're getting there, and I really like the idea of keeping gas cans in the back, and not on my roof :)

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Vixx, the medium I have fits perfect on the BajaRack I got spring of 2010.

If you went with the large model, there may still be room for the slots to align up.
Check it out from the rear, I think it might work for you.
Those long bolts hanging down are where the mounts are for the tent slots.
The other bolts off to the far side are for the awning brackets.

This might be helpful to you also.

I am not using Autohome's tent mounts either, I am using beefier ones from BajaRack.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAH that's perfect, but I never saw anything on their web page with this...or I wasn't looking hard enough. Interesting the tie down rails are the same width across the entire size range.

I think a large would be a tad too wide, with 8" off each side, the Medium like you have should be fine I would think.

Grr, RTT descisions!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Yes, the width does stay the same between the mounting tracks.

Mike from AutoHome sent me that JPG a few years ago when I had others asking me about mounting the tents.
The JPG is not on his site as far as I know.

The medium tent will sleep two pretty comfortably as long as you keep the luggage below.
When I am by myself, I keep the duffel bag up top with me.

Two full size pillows work good too.
The small AutoHome pillow as to small, so get some bigger ones.

I am using full flannel fitted sheets, and a twin size winter weight down comforter.
Fits very well, you just have to fold up the sides a bit of the comforter when packing it down.

Here is what it looks like when the ladder and pillows are stowed away before the top is cranked down.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see on their page that a medium has two adults and a small kid. I am guessing that is VERY optimistic? I read elsewhere that the 55" width for three is not doable at all unless everyone is comfortable spooning.

I am looking at the Camping Labs Large which is 71 inches wide, which should be more than enough for three I would think...and still leaves room for the two gas cans and foot locker on the back.

Maybe I don't have enough time for a custom receiver hitch and should just go with the fold out large, cans on the top, bikes on the hitch and get dones sooner to go camping before the year's end? heh

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, that three people, two adults and one child is very optimistic and the pic shows people about five foot tall and a small child. I have a medium Maggiolina and would not want to do any more than two adults inside for realistic comfort. And as Cory has illustrated, your sleeping gear can stay in the tent if you fold it in away from the sides. I also did a model for the large up on the FJ and the overhang was tolerable, just a few inches on both sides and I even saw one on a trail run that had his overhang on one side and his awning on the other. It all really depends what you want. I did not want to sleep in flappy tent stuff ever again after doing it for decades in high winds. So the fold out tent was not an option for me. And I don't need the roof for stashing gear or gas or water either. I have never been anywhere in the west where I had to carry extra gas.. and have gotten the camping gear pared down and still am finding I can do without a lot, but I did remove the rear seats for the fridge and gear stash spots. So you just have to decide what your priorities are and get what works for you. The ease of opening and closing the Maggiolina vs the pain in the butt of the folding RTT tent was a big factor for me as I am alone a lot.
And you can not just buy a Maggiolina and get it asap, they are ordered and shipped from overseas so you have to plan ahead and call Mike and see when the next shipment is coming.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Corey,

That Autohome looks awesome! I've always been a tent man. If you don't mind, about how much $ is that system, mounts and all. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Thanks Will.
Prices are here.
AutoHome Maggiolina—the World's most refined vehicle roof top tents
For my medium it now goes for $2,899.
I got locked it at around $2,400 back in March of 2008 one week before the price jump.

Since these are made in Italy, prices can change a bit on them, but the current price has been in place one week after I bought mine.

The mounts came with my BajaRack which I paid around $600 for March of 2010, and I think the awning brackets from BajaRack were around $40 if I remember.

There are more and more roof top tents coming onto the market, and older folding brands releasing new models.
But I will take the Maggiolina type any day since they are a hard top and crank up very fast.

They are not as big inside, but they are also warmer being with less headroom.
Less space heat up inside.

If I had to buy another tent again it would be the AirlLander or the AirTop.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Thanks Will.
Prices are here.
AutoHome Maggiolina—the World's most refined vehicle roof top tents
For my medium it now goes for $2,899.
I got locked it at around $2,400 back in March of 2008 one week before the price jump.

Since these are made in Italy, prices can change a bit on them, but the current price has been in place one week after I bought mine.

The mounts came with my BajaRack which I paid around $600 for March of 2010, and I think the awning brackets from BajaRack were around $40 if I remember.

There are more and more roof top tents coming onto the market, and older folding brands releasing new models.
But I will take the Maggiolina type any day since they are a hard top and crank up very fast.

They are not as big inside, but they are also warmer being with less headroom.
Less space heat up inside.

If I had to buy another tent again it would be the AirlLander or the AirTop.
Thanks Corey. I still have improvements I want to do to the FJ. I'll have to file this away in the "someday" category and stick to my tent. I do like them though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts