Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having a Kenwood headunit installed on Sat. morning, There are 2 different unit's I'm looking at buying, one has 2 set's of RCA outputs & the other has 3 sets of RCA outputs. I plan on amping: 1 pair 6x9's in the doors, 1 pair 6 1/2" round rear seat area, 1 pair of 5" round in rear pillars, & a new Sub in cargo area. Do I really need the 3rd set of RCA's? Or does the 3rd set just make it better/easier for running the amp for the Sub?
EDIT: Sorry, posted in wrong section. Mod, could you please repost in correct section? Tanx, MAXX

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
G'day Maxx,
Moved the thread for you.
I am not an expert, but I'd opt for 3 RCA outs, for future expansion.... lol,
seriously ... get 2 x RCA and in 6 months you will wish you had 3 ...
Murphy's Law..
Good luck with the instal
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You need a radio with 3 RCA output
1st per out is for the front speaker
2nd for the back speakers
3rd is for the the sub.
This allows you to adjust each individually. If you get one with two sets of pre outs you will lose your fade and balance. Also with two pre outs when you try to adjust the bass frequency it not just adjust the sub but it turns the door speaker bass aswell witch will blow them pretty quick. I work at a car stereo shop, so I am kind of into this stuff, which explains the long message hahaha. I hoped I helped! Also kenwood is a great choice! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But if I get 1- 4 channel amp for the door 6x9's & the rear seat 6 1/2" & 1 Mono amp for the sub & let the head unit power the front dash speakers I would only need the 2 output's, right? I'm going to go ahead with the 3 output anyway, it's only $20 more & it has a few more feature's. I wasn't overly concerned with the extra feature's like the Bluetooth & other stuff like that...I'll never use them anyway. But I guess it's better to have & not need than to need & not have. Thanks, MAXX

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you use a 4 channel amp with one pair of RCA outputs, you won't be able to control the fader.

I have 2 amps, a 4 channel for front & rear, and a mono for the sub. My HU has 2 RCA outputs, and I wish it had 3.....

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You still need three pre outs because you will have two sets of RCAs for the four channel and one set of RCAs for the mono block.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use the pass thru option on my 4 channel amp to pass thru the signal to the mono amp. In other words, I have 2 pair of RCA cables going to my 4 channel amp, and one pair from the 4 channel to the mono thru the passthru rca connections.

Works ok. The sub-pre out setting on the HU must be disabled, but the 4 channel amp does a good job of only sending the low signal to the mono amp. The sub sounded cleaner when I ran it from the 4 channel amp and set the rear rca preout to SUB in the HU, but hey, the sub amp was given to me for free by a buddy and I'm not about to swap the HU.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
MAXX- the reason is simple- the Kenwood with three output RCA's will have subwoofer controls on it. The one without the 3rd RCA wont which means in certain types of music- you might want to turn up or down the bass. By having a dedicated crossover channel only capable of playing the lowest frequencies- youll have that control.

This will also allow you to have a dedicated amp for the sub.

BTW- if your planning a 6 speaker set up as you described, having each pair of speakers on its own channel from the amp allows you to fine tune the sound stage to make it more like a live concert and not the inside of a truck. Most amps allow you to control the sensitivity of each channel inbound from the HU from the RCAs. This will allow you to make the 6x9s sing and the 5" in the dash fill perfectly. This will also allow the rears to envelop you with surround sound. All adjusted by the crossover points and sensitivity (think separate volume control) for each channel. Once its set the way you like it- your done and basic adjustments after that would be done with the stereo with front to rear fading and balance.

Look at a six channel amp for your speakers and a mono for the sub

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
^^ yeah what he said that is what I was trying to say. I'm not the best at explaining myself. But that is what I said I just explained it poorly! Haha

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
^^ yeah what he said it what I was trying to say. I'm not the best at explaining myself. But that is what I said I just explained it poorly! Haha
:cheers::rocker:

Great minds think alike- it has to do with owning Iceburg FJ's...:jester:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MAXX- the reason is simple- the Kenwood with three output RCA's will have subwoofer controls on it. The one without the 3rd RCA wont which means in certain types of music- you might want to turn up or down the bass. By having a dedicated crossover channel only capable of playing the lowest frequencies- youll have that control.

This will also allow you to have a dedicated amp for the sub.

BTW- if your planning a 6 speaker set up as you described, having each pair of speakers on its own channel from the amp allows you to fine tune the sound stage to make it more like a live concert and not the inside of a truck. Most amps allow you to control the sensitivity of each channel inbound from the HU from the RCAs. This will allow you to make the 6x9s sing and the 5" in the dash fill perfectly. This will also allow the rears to envelop you with surround sound. All adjusted by the crossover points and sensitivity (think separate volume control) for each channel. Once its set the way you like it- your done and basic adjustments after that would be done with the stereo with front to rear fading and balance.

Look at a six channel amp for your speakers and a mono for the sub
Ya, this sounds good. I'll start looking into the 6 ch amp & sub amp later today. I'm going to start another thread, (with hope's more will read a new thread instead of an old one with a new question). I was at the Best Buy last night to pick up the single Din cover plate & schedule the install time for today. As were going through the BS, he asks "Is this a JBL system?", I said don't think so. He's telling me if so I need a JBL harness @ $100. I said [email protected]*% that! Do I have a JBL? It doesn't show any JBL badges on it. ???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts