Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very loud squeal when braking

I'll try restating this, as I got no replies to the first post.
What would cause a smell similar to propane in the cabin?
I noticed the odd odor, but couldn't find an obvious source.
While driving, I thought I noticed a slight "burned" smell, but only briefly.
At the end of my commute, there was a very loud squeal when I braked, three times in a row, but none after that.
Now, the smell is gone and the noise has not returned.
Could a frozen caliper have made such a loud squeal? This was not the usual squeaking pad we all know.
Do the FJ's (2008 auto) have brake problems in freezing temps?

Any guidance would be appreciatted

Thanks

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took a quick look on TIS for u and found no TSB's addressing brake noise or odors..however it may be something that got into the outside vent and caused an odor from the cabin filter?? As for the brake squeel, a stone caught in the caliper, or dirt clod??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curt,

Thanks for the help.The smell was very strong. I thought maybe I had left a small propane bottle for my portable heater in there and it had leaked, but none there. Smell hasn't returned. Nor has the squeal.
The squeal was VERY loud. As I said, not your typical squeal or grind.
I try to avoid mudholes, but the road into the camp has a few, so a foriegn object isn't out of the question.
What is TIS?
I never even thought of searching for a service bulletin! Geez!
Thanks for trying, I quess my question was either too dumb or too hard for the seasoned members to try. I'm not a mechanic, and I'm not too proud to ask.
You'll enjoy the forum, some of these guys really know their stuff and usually are quite willing to help.
Drive safe!
:wave:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your issues! I can't shed much light on the squealing but i might be of some help regarding the odor. I have a 1974 CJ5 that started smelling like sulfur about 20 minutes into my drive. I learned that it was the battery boiling over because the alternator was overcharging it. I went to the auto parts store and had my alternator checked for free and ended up replacing it and the battery. I'm not sure if this is what problem your having but i'd have it looked at before something bad happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jacob.
I'm scheduled to take it in next week to let my mechanic check it out.
I'm conflicted though, he hasn't seen my FJ yet. Don't know if he knows 'em or not. He's good, but maybe this one is a call for the Toyota folks.
I'm only about 2 hours North and have folks down there.
Any take on the local dealer's shops?
Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Very loud squeal when braking

River Runt,
I just saw this thread today, started researching this smell problem as I have been having the same issue for some time with my 07 FJ. I have not had the problem looked at and have not been able to determine what or where the smell is coming from. Have you had any luck with deducing the issue?

·
Registered
18 Posts
TIS=Toyota Information Service, further research has yielded a possible culprit for the smell...the cabin vent behind the the bumper cover can stick open just a little and let exhaust fumes in under certain conditions. In winter on first start the exhaust will smell a bit like propane...The rear brakes will cause some squeal on backing up but not really have any problems..Curt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts