Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to look at a 20 foot, '01 haulmark trailer this week. The previous owner has already insulated and vaporlocked the walls, installed an AC, and some cabinets up front. I plan on finishing the front as a living quarters and the rear as a haul / storage section for my Polaris RZR. Looks like i will need a small air compressor, and toolbox. I am thinking some fold down beds, small tv/dvd , sink etc and then i am going to work on putting a roof rack on top and a nice canopy on the side. I will update this if i get the trailer and my progress on it.

Does anyone have ideas or pictures of the interior setup of a similar trailer? I would love some ideas.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I have a 20' enclosed Wells Cargo trailer and I'm going to do the same thing! I've seen a few fixed this way and they are awesome!

Good Luck with your project! Keep us posted with pics.

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i picked up the trailer yesterday. $4000 for a 2007 tandem axle, quad brake, insulated walled, a/c, with cabinets haulmark. I hope to get started on the conversion today or tomorrow. I am going to tackle the bed first, and then building a wet bath.

Oh and did i mention it has surround sound, :rocker:

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
congrats on your trailer. we used to use these , and convert them into haulers and custom dressing room and or bunks up front. tv etc ac.. keep us posted on it and your Mods to it. Good idea..:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Are you towing this with the FJ? How does it handle it? You have to be pushing the towing limit of the FJ with everything you want to add,if not excedding it. I imagine the trailer alonemust weight over 2500pds. Then there'sthe cabniets, air compressor, beds, your toys and such. If you've wieghted it already or have a different tow vehicle, my opoligies.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Believe it or not, this trailer pulls as easy as my open 5 x 12. Pulled it 220 miles back home on a tank and a half of gas (took one tank on the way up)!!! The FJ had no problem cruising in 6th at 75 mph most of the time, with the occasional downshift to 5th on hills. Scangage was reading ~9 mpg. Today dad and i started building the wet bath stall, we designed it so that it can be slid in and out. Should be done except for epoxy and plumbing tomorrow. Built a mount for the cooler and tool box, and am working on installing new 120v lights overhead.

FYI this thing is freaking wide. 8 foot inside width!! Plenty of room for my ranger rzr, and fridge, and a walkway all side be side.

I had planned on building a murphy style bed but opted for this

That way i can just put it in a cabinet when not in use. Still have to build some cabinets and tidy up some wiring. I will get pictures for you guys tomorrow.:rocker:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll go snap some photos now, brb.

This weekend i plan on finishing the shower, and installing the battery tender. The air compressor is finished.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discojon,

Both of your trailers look great and it looks like a real labor of love. Anxious to see them done and hope you post more pics.

Off topic question for you, if you don't mind. I have a Kubota RTV1100 which is similar to your Polaris. I was told you can't take these to any National or state parks to run the trails as they aren't street legal or licensed. Where do you run yours or have you found that not to be the case? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Discojon,

Both of your trailers look great and it looks like a real labor of love. Anxious to see them done and hope you post more pics.

Off topic question for you, if you don't mind. I have a Kubota RTV1100 which is similar to your Polaris. I was told you can't take these to any National or state parks to run the trails as they aren't street legal or licensed. Where do you run yours or have you found that not to be the case? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Mike
I can't speak about national or state parks since i have never ridden any of them, but we ride partly on the Hatfield & McCoy Trail system here in WV which is privately owned and you have to purchase trail permits to use. In parts of WV you can ride on secondary roads as lons as your have a helmet on. Sorry i couldn't be of more help but i don't have any experience riding in government owned property.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I don't mean to distract from your thread, but that looks like a great place to explore. Thanks for the lead and good luck with your projects. My other home is just outside of the RV capital of the world, Elkhart, IN. If I can ever help track something down for you, just let me know. I am back and forth between Nashville, TN almost every other week.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
today we are installing the water tank, water heater, and building a cabinet to hold it all. The cabinet is going to have a small sink and 3 burner range. pics later. i just spent 300 at lowes, mostly on PEX fittings!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All of the freshwater plumbing is done, the awning is mounted, and the cabinet is 80% done. Tomorrow the cabinet should be completed,.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts