Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Has anyone used 20 inch wheels, bought bigger tires and not had to change the vehicle outside of that/no lift/etc? Or are we looking at extensive work to accommodate the bigger wheels?

·
トヨタ Master
6,799 Posts
My mother told me if I don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

SAS with 42" Swampers might be kinda cool on 20" beadlocks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Some other threads on this exact topic, that might be helpful:

·
トヨタ Master
6,799 Posts
All three are good tires. I'm partial to Coopers because they are a better value and have stronger sidewalls. I sell 9 to 1 Coopers. The Michelins will be quieter and are not a true A/T.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What are your thoughts on these:
my teeth are rattling just thinking about going offroad with a 20 tire with a 50 sidewall profile. 20 inch wheels are a bad idea if you plan on any offroading....unless you do as cabincruiser suggested using 42 tires on 20" wheels...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ummmm, maybe its 2WD?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the 2017 “final edition” in Japan came with 20” rims and street tires. To my knowledge they used the same rim and tire combination from the 4Runner limited. It’s all personal taste, but for me nothing bigger than an 18” with a off road tire please.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So the 2017 “final edition” in Japan came with 20” rims and street tires. To my knowledge they used the same rim and tire combination from the 4Runner limited. It’s all personal taste, but for me nothing bigger than an 18” with a off road tire please.
Yup. Here are specs:

·
Registered
607 Posts
You do you.

You want 20's.....go for it.

Sometimes people forget not every FJ owner "does the offroad" and may have strong opinions on such matters.
That’s crazy talk. 🤯🤯🤯

This can only lead to a disaster of biblical proportions; fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, 40-years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass histeria...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello,
Has anyone used 20 inch wheels, bought bigger tires and not had to change the vehicle outside of that/no lift/etc? Or are we looking at extensive work to accommodate the bigger wheels?
I don’t know if this makes any difference, but there is a back story to the 20” wheels that I did not disclose earlier. While on extreme customs website, it was an intended order of 17” the whole way through to the end. 20” wheels arrived at our doorstep. I looked into returning them and they have a 20% restocking fee, and for that little twist of the arm a big chunk of change is lost just to return them. So I’m trying to make this work out for the best, going back to my initial question-are these wheels going to waste more money on any necessary adjustments (worried about space/rubbing/etc). In other words, is it better to bite the restocking fee bullet and return these in the end? It’s such a pain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Really depends on what you do with your truck, if you offroad a lot or plan to, maybe sell the wheels and pick up 17 or 18s. If it's mostly street you'll be fine with the right tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You’re question isn’t so much if 20” rims are possible, but rather if the 20” rims you revived by mistake will work then. In that case you need to provide the exact rim you received, with the specs or a link to them. That way some of the more knowledgeable members about rims & tires can review them and make sure they won’t rub with the stock suspension. Also they can recommend the tire size you’ll have to run. There’s even a rep from discount tire on here as well. So once you provide that information, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of help. On a side note, if you ordered 17” and received 20” inch rims, then the mistake is on the part of the merchant. And you shouldn’t be charged a restocking fee, if needed you could file a complaint with the BBB to help resolve the issue if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In that case you need to provide the exact rim you received, with the specs or a link to them. That way some of the more knowledgeable members about rims & tires can review them and make sure they won’t rub with the stock suspension. Also they can recommend the tire size you’ll have to run.
Specs:

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
1,124 posts and still asking what is the recommended tire size for a stock FJ ? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts