Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sounds like the OP thought he was ordering 17" but maybe actually ordered 20" rims...hence the restocking fee. With 5" backspacing that is 0.16" closer to upper control arm than stock. If I recall correctly, there was about 3/8" between the UCA and stock/OEM 26570R17 tire/wheel combination. This would push it closer. Also with a 9" wide rim, I think anything less than 285 width is going to look bad.

Honestly, if I was OP and if I had made the ordering mistake, I would either try to sell locally at discount, or I might just bite the bullet on restocking/shipping charges. Having 2K in tires and wheels that you get p*ssed off looking at every time you walk out to your FJ....I would fix the issue now.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Agreed @SilvFx I think selling them on craigslist, taking a loss, or taking a loss on restocking, makes more sense, than having a set that you don't like .

·
Registered
607 Posts
... While on extreme customs website, it was an intended order of 17” the whole way through to the end. 20” wheels arrived at our doorstep. I looked into returning them and they have a 20% restocking fee ...
... if you ordered 17” and received 20” inch rims, then the mistake is on the part of the merchant. And you shouldn’t be charged a restocking fee, if needed you could file a complaint with the BBB to help resolve the issue if needed.
I have to agree with @Green Alien here. If you ordered 17” and got 20” because of a mistake made by the seller, the restocking fee should not apply. On the other hand, if you made a mistake in the ordering process, you’re stuck with the fee.

It may be worth your while to review your order confirmation to see where the error lies.

Any reasonable business will fix their mistakes and minimize the inconvenience to the customer. If they don’t, fight them through the BBB, or at the very least put them on blast so they don’t screw any of the rest of us 😡

·
A-Team Moderator
9,546 Posts
Honest mistakes are just that. Triple check your orders before hitting PAY NOW!

"it was an intended order of 17” the whole way through to the end. 20” wheels arrived at our doorstep."

If you "intended" to put 17's on it, then put 17's on it. 265's or 285's on 17's will not require that you change anything else, except an alignment ie: possible negative caster adjustment with the 285's.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That’s crazy talk. 🤯🤯🤯

This can only lead to a disaster of biblical proportions; fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, 40-years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass histeria...
Look at you channeling Peter Venkman :)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
After searching for nearly a year to find my perfect FJ, my find was a '13 with 35k in pristine condition just like I wanted. It had been lifted a couple and fitted with 20" fuel wheels with 31 inch Nittos. She looked really nice even though I was not super excited about the 20's. After I got the mirrors, wings and door handles blacked, she hit the road and we love it. It is amazing how many compliments the truck gets everywhere we go. I do agree that I would not use this set up for extreme offroad. I will put 33's on when these are used up to get the wheel tire profile looking better. 20's for daily driver- no problem.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
After searching for nearly a year to find my perfect FJ, my find was a '13 with 35k in pristine condition just like I wanted. It had been lifted a couple and fitted with 20" fuel wheels with 31 inch Nittos. She looked really nice even though I was not super excited about the 20's. After I got the mirrors, wings and door handles blacked, she hit the road and we love it. It is amazing how many compliments the truck gets everywhere we go. I do agree that I would not use this set up for extreme offroad. I will put 33's on when these are used up to get the wheel tire profile looking better. 20's for daily driver- no problem.
pics of the beauty?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts