Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know for sure if the Fj will be an 06 or 07 model---my dealer just wrote down 06 on the sign up sheet.---Insurance might be a little more on a 07, no?-------I think it was set up for an 07 release, but hype brought it around sooner, so it could be an 06??---Anyone?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
It is being modeled as a 2007 though I can understand why the dealer would be confused. The model year should not affect your insurance rates as there is no 2006 FJ.

·
Registered
378 Posts
granger said:
It is being modeled as a 2007 though I can understand why the dealer would be confused. The model year should not affect your insurance rates as there is no 2006 FJ.

Just like the Ridgline coming out in 05 and being intoduced as a 06. By the way, the price on those has not dropped a dime as far as I can see...I hope Toyota doesn't follow those same marketing lines as Honda. If so, my plan to wait is screwed :eek:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Trainwreck said:
wonder how the 07 tag on the FJ will effect it's price, are we paying more cause it an 07?
Thats what I'm beginning to wonder. My plan to buy as an end of year clearance item (if there are any left) may be down the toilet !!! I haven't seen any projections to how many will be produced the second year. just the 40,000 in '06.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If it works like the Jeep you will not see end of model year closeouts until fall 2007. That's not to say the price won't get more flexible until then, only that they will not be dropping the price in an effort to get rid of last year's models until fall 07.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
ok bubba, Plan B, better buy right away with the rest of us!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
EJR said:
ok bubba, Plan B, better buy right away with the rest of us!!
DAMMMIT !!!! Plan A was to wait and get a great deal on one for about 3-4k under MSRP. Since over half will be sold on the west coast, that leaves 20,000 to sell accross the rest of the country...

Looks like I might be living through you "first on the blockers" for a while... :(

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
bubbahotep said:
DAMMMIT !!!! Plan A was to wait and get a great deal on one for about 3-4k under MSRP. Since over half will be sold on the west coast, that leaves 20,000 to sell accross the rest of the country...

Looks like I might be living through you "first on the blockers" for a while... :(
I'll share the paddling responsibilities in your canoe, buddy. I won't be able to run out and buy one in February. Probably early summer. I might wait for the special edition to come out and see where that falls price-wise. Once the special edition comes out I would expect more and more people flocking to it, thus there is a possibility that it will lower the price on the rest of them.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
bubbahotep said:

You also have to consider how much margin Toyota will have in this truck. Obviously "invoice price" isn't really what it cost the dealers but it will work to explain what I am talking about.

Toyota is trying to hit a price point here to steal some of the first time buyers away from Jeep, Nissan, etc... So some 3rd party reporters have claimed that Toyota is accomplishing this by lowering the markup they have in the FJ compared to other Toyotas.

Examples:

2006 Jeep Wranger SE
MSRP: $18,800
Invoice: $17,905
Diff: $895
4.8%

2005 Nissan Xterra 4x2 S
MSRP: $21,430
Invoice: $20,298
Diff: $1,132
5.3%

2005 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 LE
MSRP: $35,580
Invoice: $32,949
Diff: $2,631
7.3%

2006 Toyota 4 Runner 4x2 SR5 V6
MSRP: $28,240
Invoice: $25,794
Diff: $2,446
8.6%

2006 Toyota 4 Runner 4x4 Limited V8
MSRP: $38,990
Invoice: $35,589
Diff: $3,401
8.7%

I bring this up for a couple of reasons, first and foremost: if you are planning on waiting until you can save $3K to $4K under MSRP it may be a long wait. The FJ's just aren't going to have that much fluff in them. Applying the 4-Runner markup a "fully equiped" FJ with a MSRP of $28K (made up number as we STILL don't know pricing :( ) will "invoice" for around $25,500 ($2,500) and that is assuming that a) you can get one for invoice, which is very unlikley in the first year or so and b) that they have the same markup as the 4-Runners which again seems unlikley.

Now, assume that the FJ will have a markup similar to what you see in the entry level 4x4's the wrangler and xterra (5%). The most you would save (again assuming that you can get one for invoice) would be $1,400.

Now, before I get slammed because one can get a 4-Runner for below invoice due to dealer incentives, rebates etc... remember that those deals are usually reserved for model year end close outs (which I really think won't happen until fall 2007) and they are usually found on established trucks that require a push to sell (which I don't think is the FJ).

I didn't go through all this to bust anyone's bubble or to say that someone is wrong and I'm right, I am only making an educated guess as to the pricing enviroment the FJ will be in once it is released. My point: I see "saving a ton on the FJ" and "I want to own an FJ before the end of 2006" as mutually exclusive objectives.

Just my opinion,
Granger

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would have to agree whole hearted with you Granger. I closely watched the sale of the 350Z when it first came to the market. It is funny b/c it is very similar to the FJ. Nostalgic vehicle brought back after some years of not being on the market. You could not get a 350Z for anything less then MSRP for years because of the demand. And even used they were selling for only slightly less then a new 350Z but with 10K miles on them. To me if you want one you are best served by getting one now...instead of waiting perpetually until the "price drops". I think we will have a better idea by the end of the month to know what the market will be like.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Granger--

This is part of the reason why Toyota has not leaked the price yet. They have to think about keeping their competitors guessing about the price as well.
It bug the crap out of us, but they have to do what they have to do !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts