Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting this thread to track a noise issue. Once the vehicle is warmed up there is a significant droning/hum noise when travelling at 45+ mph. I think it's been present for a while but it's not that noticable driving to work, This weekend drove up I-280 for half an hour @65 and it was loud by the end of the trip. Loud enough to think about doing something about it. When letting off the accelerator and coasting the noise immediately goes away. It's not present or perhaps not noticable below this speed.

Today strapped a gopro over the rear diff. The tone suddenly changes around 21s and it's this low frequency droning I hear inside.

View over rear diff

Later I'll try the trip againa and put the camera further forward and see what it sounds like from the front.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
It sure sounds like driveline (it starts/stops with power on/off).
Are the U joints solid when you try to wiggle them back/forth? Since that would be the easiest/cheapest to fix, if any of them feel loose, you might get lucky and find a loose one causing the noise.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Have you checked the rear diff fluid level or changed it ever. Might need new fluid :)
This, and grease all the zerks on the drive line.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After checking it out again I've found the pinion is loose. Grabing the diff flange I can move it up and down and hear knocking inside of the diff. It maybe only 1-2mm but there is definitely movement of the oil deflector compared to the diff housing. Attempting the same with the front diff and there is no vertical movement - solid.

Time for a replacement which is dissapointing. Any wheeling I've done is mostly forestry roads, nothing remotely difficult. If anything it's probalby the trailer towing I've done.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put it in this weekend using this thread:

The oil was dark and there was significant metal shavings on the drain plug. I'm glad to say it's a lot quieter now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts