Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what do you think about this? My truck had just over 87K miles and I took it into the dealership in Texas to get the fuel injection service. I figured since I bought it used with 40K miles I would just go ahead and get the trans service done early. They recommended just the "top end" change, I said please just do the full flush. They said you don't need the "full flush" but if that's what you want then... So I had them do it. After getting it back, it was acting funny. It was slipping like crazy. So, I took it back the next morning. They informed me that they did not put enough WST fluid in it, but now it's fine and nothing should be wrong. It drove fine so I just went on about my business. At around 90K I started feeling it surge lightly upon heavy acceleration. I figured it was my plugs. So, I just changed my plugs a few thousand miles ago. Nothing changed. I took it into a dealer in Arkansas (where I now live), and they said that my tranny is shot. They also said that the dealer should never have done a full flush, and that may have been the cause. I called Toyota who said that the Texas dealer should handle this, but luckily the local dealer is helping me out. So, my point is, my tranny may not be replaced under warranty from the Texas dealer, and I may be stuck with a busted transmission. Still waiting for the GSM's to discuss amongst each other and with Toyota. Anybody have a similar experience, or comment about what is ruining my spring break. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Absolutely hound the dealer to take care of this under warranty! The dealer in Arkansas is correct: the dealer in Texas shouldn't have done a full flush, as per a Toyota change in service guidelines. It has something to do with the machine Toyota uses to keep the temperatures in range during the flush, no dealers around here have those machines anymore because Toyota took them back or something.

Do a couple searches, there are lots of threads about full flushes for the transmission.

Take it to the top, the Texas dealer f'd up!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So far, no word on a decision. I have the loaner Corolla but am itching to get my truck back. I will have to drive down to the dealer to make my presence known tomorrow. If they don't cover the trans, I would definitely not buy another NEW Toyota. Seems like everything else is not built in Japan... which makes me question the quality.

On another not, if they do cover, I hope the Japanese crisis will not delay repairs to my truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts