Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have spent about 20 minutes looking for the month and year of the early build dates that allowed the A trac and the rear diff to work together (on at the same time) I cant seem to find it. Anyone know? I think I heard that it was Nov of 2006 and later they corrected this?

The FJ im looking at getting is a June 2007 build.

Thank you-

Patrick

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I know it was after VIN number 43941, which had a Sep 2006 production date. That VIN was my FJ, which I traded for a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I loved my FJ for numerous reasons (never really needed both ATRAC and rear locker, because I had no interest in mudding), but I can slide my kayak (10 footer) into the bed of the Tacoma, whereas I couldn't lift it onto the top of the FJ. I'm 73 years young.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
See pic below I just got from the folks selling the FJ. he is in 4lo, diff lock engaged , and pushed the A Trac button and the light comes on in the dash. Is this correct?
Also, What is the red light next to the green 4wd pic , lower right. Is that just telling you you have the diff lock engaged, be careful? It has the X for the rear diff.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Toyota first made Diff Lock and ATRAC work together with the release of the 2007 Black TRD edition. A friend of mine bought one of these in Nov 2006. I have a 2007 Black Cherry that I took delivery of in March of 2007 and it has this built in. When I bought it and was going over the paperwork with the dealer it I learned that Toyota had made some running changes since the start of production in 2006. There had been 3 production versions by the time mine was made. Later research seems to indicate that the change that allowed Diff Lock/ATRAC use was extended to all FJs with Diff Lock and ATRAC in Jan 2007.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Toyota first made Diff Lock and ATRAC work together with the release of the 2007 Black TRD edition. A friend of mine bought one of these in Nov 2006. I have a 2007 Black Cherry that I took delivery of in March of 2007 and it has this built in. When I bought it and was going over the paperwork with the dealer it I learned that Toyota had made some running changes since the start of production in 2006. There had been 3 production versions by the time mine was made. Later research seems to indicate that the change that allowed Diff Lock/ATRAC use was extended to all FJs with Diff Lock and ATRAC in Jan 2007.
Thank you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
See pic below I just got from the folks selling the FJ. he is in 4lo, diff lock engaged , and pushed the A Trac button and the light comes on in the dash. Is this correct?
Also, What is the red light next to the green 4wd pic , lower right. Is that just telling you you have the diff lock engaged, be careful? It has the X for the rear diff. View attachment 1126733
Yep, that is correct. When you press the diff lock button that light should flash for a second or two letting you know the locker is actuating. Once it is Locked you should hear a clunk followed by a small jolt that is the locker locking the axels together. Once it locks that light should stay on instead of flash. When It locks you are limited to about 8 mph ( there is a photo floating that shows what the different modes such as locking the diff and using A-Trac and what they do in terms of limiting you on power. I have a 2008 model that at first did not come with the a-trac button but had the harness and I added the button. I have gotten both to work at the same time in the past to get really unstuck. but I don't know why you would want both to be working at the same time. A-trac relies on holding a constant rpm as well as mph to work. If you are only limited to about 8 mph does that not really defeat the purpose of having it on?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep, that is correct. When you press the diff lock button that light should flash for a second or two letting you know the locker is actuating. Once it is Locked you should hear a clunk followed by a small jolt that is the locker locking the axels together. Once it locks that light should stay on instead of flash. When It locks you are limited to about 8 mph ( there is a photo floating that shows what the different modes such as locking the diff and using A-Trac and what they do in terms of limiting you on power. I have a 2008 model that at first did not come with the a-trac button but had the harness and I added the button. I have gotten both to work at the same time in the past to get really unstuck. but I don't know why you would want both to be working at the same time. A-trac relies on holding a constant rpm as well as mph to work. If you are only limited to about 8 mph does that not really defeat the purpose of having it on?
From all I’ve read and seen, let’s say you have the rear locked, great, it’s locked. Both always turn. But Atrac engaged will take that open front differential and if one tire is spinning it will apply braking to that tire to force the open differential to put power (rotation) to the tire that Is not spinning I.e. the one with traction. It allows steering , since it still is an open diff , but gets your rig to be a 3 wheel drive.
if you watch the videos of Atrac in action It needs to sense that one wheel spinning, and it the intermittently brakes it to drive the opposite wheel.

Its all about low speed crawling, at least we get a no kidding 3 wheel drive out of it to keep moving forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts