Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a used 2007 with over 200k. Owner said there is a small exhaust leak, but its so small, they cannot find it.

I am not a car person.

Big issue, small issue? Cost (best case scenario?)

Obviously not giving you much info to go on here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, sometimes folks say "Oh, that noise? It's just an exhaust leak...." when it really could be an exhaust leak,,.. or something else - like lifter / valvetrain issues or piston slap.

I'd recommend having it checked out professionally before purchase to ensure that it isn't a symptom of a bigger issue.

·
Banned
890 Posts
The owner could be at your level of vehicle knowledge too, after all. For me, an exhaust leak would make me look at the doughnut to see if it's just eroded or damaged.
I would be inclined to ask how they know it's an exhaust leak. Is there extra exhaust noise? smell? rattling? odd noises? I'd also bring the girlie with me because she grew up in a garage and can hear things that normal people don't hear. So if you have one of those, take her with you. Or find a trust-able mechanic to give it a once over.

·
トヨタ Master
6,815 Posts
Have a shop do an inspection on it. If the owner doesn't allow, pass it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You folks have an opinion on value? 2007 Stick About 240K. One owner. No lights on. I drove it. Seems ok. Whats your guess as to the ask price?

·
トヨタ Master
6,815 Posts
Read this:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Manual ‘07 with @75k drove just fine before I bought it. She’s spent half the time since then at the dealership and with other mechanical technician wizards for some serious, major repairs. Even a good inspection can’t be thorough enough to discover some problems. Just budget for “upgrades” and factor into the initial cost. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
My Manual ‘07 with @75k drove just fine before I bought it. She’s spent half the time since then at the dealership and with other mechanical technician wizards for some serious, major repairs. Even a good inspection can’t be thorough enough to discover some problems. Just budget for “upgrades” and factor into the initial cost. Good luck.
TT -
Can you share some of the details of the "serious, major repairs" your low-mileage '07 has required?

Did it come with a complete service history, and was there any indication of serious abuse by the previous owner?

As a typical well-maintained, responsibly-driven FJ will easily go 250-300K miles without major repairs, it would be useful to understand what has happened to yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts