Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FJ and I was wondering if anyone else has this wheel corrosion issues? From talking to other Toyota owners, this corrosion issue seems to pop up all over the place. This kind of damage is unacceptable and with mine they did not cover it under warranty! This left me holding the bitter bag. Very bad ethics on Toyota's part if you ask me. They should do a recall or at the very least fix my wheels.:(

Back to the question I had in mind. I don't want new Toyota wheels as they will just have the same issue again because of manufacturer defect. Does anyone have suggestions of what to do or could you recommend other customs mag that would look and work well with and FJ? I don't care about bling and just want something serviceable that will not give me the same issues as before. Here are some of the picture of my problem:

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
so where exactly is planet zoidberg? Looks like some pretty bad salt pitting or something. I always thought aluminum was the "safe" bet...I guess not.

I wonder if you had powder coated aluminum rims if that would help. I know some brands make the black teflon-coated rims as well.

Maybe others will chime in with brand recommendations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so where exactly is planet zoidberg? Looks like some pretty bad salt pitting or something. I always thought aluminum was the "safe" bet...I guess not.

I wonder if you had powder coated aluminum rims if that would help. I know some brands make the black teflon-coated rims as well.

Maybe others will chime in with brand recommendations.
Planet Zoidberg is a joke from the show Futurama. I was looking though the site and found this picture of some sweet rims. Does anyone know who makes them and where to buy them?

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
Yeah i agree. The wheels look like they ran a few winters where they dump deicer on the streets. In my neck of the woods it doesn't matter what you run, the deicer is going to eat them alive. I run a dedicated set of wheels for winter for just that reason. You could walk around a parking lot any time of the year and pick out all the cars that run there wheels in winter by the pitting, bubbling, and discoloration. It's not a Toyota wheel thing, its a wheel eating deicer thing.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Planet Zoidberg is a joke from the show Futurama. I was looking though the site and found this picture of some sweet rims. Does anyone know who makes them and where to buy them?

Looks to be MB Wheels 72, the lip looks kind of different but I cant think of another manufacturer for that type (besides the American Racing Mojave's)

check out your local Discount tire shop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i agree. The wheels look like they ran a few winters where they dump deicer on the streets. In my neck of the woods it doesn't matter what you run, the deicer is going to eat them alive. I run a dedicated set of wheels for winter for just that reason. You could walk around a parking lot any time of the year and pick out all the cars that run there wheels in winter by the pitting, bubbling, and discoloration. It's not a Toyota wheel thing, its a wheel eating deicer thing.
I am surprised that the Toyota repair people did not tell me this. When I asked them how it happened and how to avoid it they had no idea. They just wanted me to have them fixed or buy new ones!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Toyota needs to have few words with the company who made the wheels for them. Generally they would specify the level and length of salt test they required to meet. I worked in the automotive industry for years and seen many this kind of corrosion problems before, even from various reputable brands. Best to just hose off the wheels after driving through deicer.. who knows what they put in that stuff now days...

Here is my FJ with Hase-Spec 16" imported from Japan.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Those wheels look just like the ones on my 07. Same pitting under the paint. I'll probably be replacing the wheels before next winter with something else. :mecry::)

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
Planet Zoidberg is a joke from the show Futurama.
Yes...of course it is, but I was actually getting at where do you actually live? - based on the pitting issue I was guessing up north.:bigthumb:

Looks like you may need to run some dedicated crap wheels for the winter as someone suggested. That sure sucks.

Well at least living in the south the heat won't pit your wheels! (but all the sun sure can fade our paint quickly!!!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes...of course it is, but I was actually getting at where do you actually live? - based on the pitting issue I was guessing up north.:bigthumb:

Looks like you may need to run some dedicated crap wheels for the winter as someone suggested. That sure sucks.

Well at least living in the south the heat won't pit your wheels! (but all the sun sure can fade our paint quickly!!!)
I am in Connecticut. Also is there a wheel you can buy that will not have issues with deicer? We know aluminum do not stand up well. What about steel or those black wheels I see. Are the black ones coated with something or are they steel? I am going to order some new wheels but I want to keep them on all year round if possible because I don't have room to store wheels. So which material will last longer as far as deicer goes?

The other issue I have is I am not sure it is all a deicer issue. The FJ starting showing the pitting at 21k miles. now it is 32k miles. For a wheel to start decaying after 21k miles is bad craftsmanship and poor design on Toyota's part.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am in Connecticut. Also is there a wheel you can buy that will not have issues with deicer? We know aluminum do not stand up well. What about steel or those black wheels I see. Are the black ones coated with something or are they steel? I am going to order some new wheels but I want to keep them on all year round if possible because I don't have room to store wheels. So which material will last longer as far as deicer goes?

I think it's a matter of the paint/powdercoat/finish on the aluminum wheels than anything. IIRC aluminum is more corrosion resistant than the steel used for wheels.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This kind of damage is unacceptable and with mine they did not cover it under warranty!

here in eastern canada this corrosion damage is covered under your 3 yr/ 60000 comprehensive warranty , the dealership will send your wheels out to be refinished, the shop that does the refinishing charges about $100.00 per wheel if you are off warranty:rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
The wheels are cast so lots of cheap aluminums so your always going to have the possibilities of weaker areas then throw in a cheap clear coat and harsh environment. Disposable is the word I'm thinking about. You could sand them down and powder coat them any color you want pretty cheap.

I bent my aluminum grill guard to fit the bushwackers and cracked the powder coat in one small area and within a week it was rusting. Aluminum?? Only $50.00 to get re powder coated at a local shop.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
I live in San Antonio,Texas and had 1 of my 5 wheels bubble up like the ones in the photo. My dealer{North Park Toyota} replaced it with a brand new one under my bumper to bumper 3-36 warranty. They never even hesitated.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Both of our 2007 FJ's have the exact same issue...

I'll be sanding them down and repainting ours eventually....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in San Antonio,Texas and had 1 of my 5 wheels bubble up like the ones in the photo. My dealer{North Park Toyota} replaced it with a brand new one under my bumper to bumper 3-36 warranty. They never even hesitated.

Bibb in San Antonio
They go by the date the car rolled off the lot, so I am out of warranty!:rawr:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both of our 2007 FJ's have the exact same issue...

I'll be sanding them down and repainting ours eventually....
So who do I asked to fix them as Torrington Toyota did not have a person because "his home burned down.". Do I go to a machine shop? What method do I tell them to do? I know there are 2 methods so far. How much is reasonable for them to charge per wheel? What method is best? Sorry all questions.

Torrington Toyota here in Connecticut said they would fix them for 200- a wheel but give me half off that because the head Toyota guy for this entire zone said he would pay half. But I found out they were just jerking me around because others I called would do it for 100- a wheel with no imaginary discount. So where is the half off? lol I have had a real problem with Toyota dealerships in this area of Connecticut. The head Toyota guy for region then took back his bogus offer lol.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
There's a guy from the FJNortheasters that re-paints / podercoats the stock rim all the time...

DAPURAK said:
here's the process of powder coating. tires has to be removed,
Before:

Sand Blasted:

Primed then Baked, Powder Color then baked again:

Finished product:

FJNortheasters Rim Page

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Wow. he looks to do incredible work.

The 07 I just got has corrosion issues on each wheel. They still look decent, but it does suck. Only one that I saw that did not have the corrosion during my search was an 08 with 14K miles.... Could be the 08 part though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts