Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently drained the automatic transmission and changed the filter on my 2007 FJ when cold and on level ground and about 1 gallon came out.
However, when I reinstall everything and refill the transmission from the tube on the bottom of the pan only about 2 quarts will go in before it starts coming out of the fill tube on the pan. Would this be correct and is it possible that my transmission was overfilled in the first place?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
3-4 quarts coming out during servicing is normal. Just put that much back in and start it up and do a proper level check while it's running and at the proper temp. The fluid temp is the most important part of getting the proper fluid level.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: '63Reverb

·
Registered
531 Posts
Remove your fill plug and turn on the FJ. Get the tranny to temp and follow attached procedure. I use a piece of solid core electrical wire to branch the pins. When the A/T OIL TEMP light goes solid get under the FJ and pop the overflow plug. If fluid flows out let it go until it dribbles. If nothing comes out pump some in until it dribbles. Shut overflow plug and you're done..

Attachments

Reactions: bridam11

·
Registered
531 Posts
You should also replace the little crush washer on the overflow plug. Get them at the dealer - p/n 3517830010. Torque overflow plug to 15 lb/ft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts