Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've always referred to this forum whenever I needed help taking apart/fixing my dads FJ. Anyways, I am getting his FJ Cruiser for my high school graduation, and he told me since I wasnt getting a new car, I could put a lift and mod it up. Now, of course I would wanna go sky high, the rough county 6" lift, but I've read that it can cause problems on the cv joints. As far as committing to a 6" lift, what other precautionary measures should be taken? The FJ would be my DD/Weekend Warrior. Any tips? Thanks :bigthumb:

·
Banned
308 Posts
I only have cv issues if i am at full turn and articlulating, the shocks suck but for 1200 you cant get a better deal

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
You will head down a very slippery slope going super high lift. Then tires then the next mod.

Then after a crap load of $$ you will realized you are in the gpm (gallons per mile) versus mpg and the truck will go up for sale since you can't afford to keep gas in the tank.

If this were a dedicated trail rig, goas big as you want. For the DD/WW combo 3" is plenty.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
For dedicated trail rig, 3" is better.

The only benefit 6" offers is the ability to run taller tires. It's not worth the trade off, in my opinion, for 3/4" gain at the diff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yep....what they said :)

One could probably mount the argument that most people only need a set of decent tires and Ricochet skids.

Doc

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Congrats on the (soon to be) new FJ! :rocker:

I completely agree with Hindsight...tires and skids and you'll be good to go for 95% of trails out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you guys think I should go with a 3" lift? I would like to atleast run 35 inch tires, but I heard there is alot of rubbing on the fenders. Should I remove the fenders to get rid of the rubbing or would a wheel spacer solve my problems?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Why the 35 inch tires? Beside rubbing you are still stressing the drive line components.

If you have deep pockets go for it. But I think you should read through some build threads to see what has worked and what has not.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You will head down a very slippery slope going super high lift. Then tires then the next mod.

Then after a crap load of $$ you will realized you are in the gpm (gallons per mile) versus mpg and the truck will go up for sale since you can't afford to keep gas in the tank.

If this were a dedicated trail rig, goas big as you want. For the DD/WW combo 3" is plenty.
Lol what he said! I've got the 6inch rough country with 35inch Nitto Terra's and I can't keep gas in the fj it's awful. And it just so happens to be for sale lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats on the graduation and the gift!!
You are off to a good start by asking questions BEFORE the mods begin.
Seriously, get out your paper and pencil and do a rough cost estimate for your mods
wish list and get ready for some sticker shock!
Make sure you add everything you will need in the end (like new front shocks, another whole world of expensive hurt)
One thing leads to another and soon you have a 40K truck!

Not trying to dissuade you (look at my addiction list) just fair warning from a hard addict.
And on top of all that you really don't have the things you really should have like Underbody armor to keep from breaking REALLY expensive things or the ability to winch yourself out of a place your 6" lift will allow you to get stuck in.
When I was beginning I went and spoke with DIGGER (nothisFJ's hubby) and he told me that unless I was doing SERIOUS rock climbing or Dessert racing that just a 3" lift would take me anywhere I had guts enough to take the truck in fact he said spacers were just fine for 90% of FJ offroad use.
Well not being a smart guy I did not follow that advice (sorry digger) I did go 3" but I went with used FOX racing coilovers for the ability to adjust ride height and ride comfort.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
3" lift 1" body and 35s here, well 315/75s anyway.
echo what all above have said above.
GL and post up some pics.
oh and you MPG is gonna suck with that much tire, so much that I bought a new DD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats as well!!
Oh alright, ill be 'that guy'...I do some light/medium offroading and generally bring my Lady along, cuz she loves it, and...well...what guy doesnt like a sexy lady to stare at, in the passenger seat?! Having said that I have a 6inch lift on 35's and I love the ride, the places it takes me and sure the fuel mileage aint good, but I knew that...aside from all that....sometimes (with the 6inch lift)..its just nice to stare at! Good luck with your decisions! Cheers!
P.S. (no disrespect to all the great info givin)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts