Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

New to the forum but I figured I'd be able to pick y'all's brain.

Theres this FJC for sale on my local craigslist that I went and checked out recently and I really liked it but I have no idea if it is even worth buying.

It has 180,000 miles! For real.

But.... The guy selling is the original owner, bought brand new from a local Toyota dealership and has all the service record.

Its a 2WD model, which is what I am looking for believe it or not.

I just have no idea what to look out for on these cars and I figured y'all'ld be the ones able to answer it. I attached some pictures for y'all to check out if it helps at all. Crazy fun to drive but no idea if its worth it due to the possibility of upcoming maintenance .

Its $9000 cash straight up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,467 Posts
2wd, never offroaded...id say the service records are the only thing to look at here. It should have had all the major checkpoint services 3 times (or is due). How many times has the transmission been flushed? Same question for rear diff. Belts, water pump, t-stat, coolant flush...

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
Yes. totally worth 9K. Even if a 4x4 is worth 5 grand more that is still a decent price. Very clean too....minus the seats.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
KBB shows that as $11,400 to $14,100.

As long it looks right and the maintenance has been done, that thing is a go.

180,000 miles on a Toyota truck is just getting warmed up. In my experience (2 Toys with more than 200,000 on each), the only issues you'll run into are little trim parts breaking, and plastic pieces having gotten eaten up with UV.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Check the frame. If you are anywhere in the north where they see snow and salt the underside might be in bad condition. You might also be worried about fender bulges which affected early FJs but since this one probably didn't go off-road it probably won't be a problem. Otherwise, looks like a good deal! Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks like a great deal to me. I just bought one around Christmas time and didn't bat an eye about the mileage (109,xxx on a 2011). Buy it before someone else does. GL

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you want a 2WD, that one looks pretty good. Have him provide maintenance records, or if they were done by a Toyota dealer, you can pull them with the VIN at toyota.com/owners or any Toyota dealer should be able to provide. Might grab a carfax just to see if there is any accident history. When I bought mine in a private transaction), I had the local dealership give it a once over and got their sales dept to run the carfax for me since dealers have subscriptions (saved me a few bucks on that since I was paying for the service area to check it out).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! Glad to hear y'all. Thanks for the help! I'm taking it out for a test again tonight and I'll check it out some more. I'll look through the service records as the night goes on and I'll throw some of the info up on here. We live in Austin Texas and the vehicle has been here it's entire life so no northern weather has hit it.

Thanks so much y'all!

I'll keep ya updated!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The pictures look good but, I would definitely get under it and see what it looks like. A little surface rust on the rear axle is pretty normal and it's probably OK if the exhaust system looks a bit gnarly but, if you see tons of rust everywhere, I'd walk away. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an FJ with 180k miles if the service records/carfax look good. You might have to replace some wear and tear items but, the truck as a whole should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts