Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear forum members. I have problem with my Mass Air Flow sensor on my 2007 fj cruiser. Since I've installed TRD CAI on the vehicle Check Engine lights on. I tried to explore problem through several ways: 1. Replaced old MAF sensor by new one(before I cleaned old sensor by contact spray but did not help), problem was not solved, 2. I checked engine by special smoke launcher, blowing smoke in the engine, to ensure that engine is not loosing air. 3. Through the diagnostic, checked fuel injection, it was normal. 3. Several time checked that everything was well tighten during the whole CAI installation. (even I reinstalled it).
If someone have such kind of experience please share it me. Don't know what to do, engine check still lights on and says MAF sensor problem.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I think either the MAF is faulty, or maybe you don't have the gasket underneath the MAF that comes with the TRD CAI kit?

If anyone that you know has an 07-09 FJ, try their MAF and test it.

I have seen used MAFs on eBay for as cheap as $25.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answer. Another was whole new Denso snesor, installed by well experienced auto service staff, maybe it needs Original toyota sensor but not denso? don't know...anyway thanks for helping. )

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Thanks for answer. Another was whole new Denso snesor, installed by well experienced auto service staff, maybe it needs Original toyota sensor but not denso? don't know...anyway thanks for helping. )
Hmmm, my 07 oem MAF is Denso. Maybe the new one is Denso, but not the correct one? I can take a pic of my original one after work, or you can see the part number on the MAF and cross check the part number on Google to make sure it's the correct one for an 07 FJ :cheers:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Denso sensor was returned, back to auto service, so unfortunately I don't know what was exactly it's code. Concerning my old sensor, It was working nicely on with old, factory air box,so it should be working now as well.

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
G'day,
When to installed the TRD CAI, and cleaned the old MAF sensor, did you disconnect the negative battery terminal first ?
and subsequently when you swapped the MAF sensor, did you disconnect the battery again ?
If not you might have damaged both sensors, at some point with a power short.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello )
At first thank you for answer.
I did not disconnect the battery, but engine was not running during replacement. It still might have damaged sensor? Or is that in practice that only battery connection damages sensor? If it is right I must look for new one.

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
G'day Tokito,
It is possible to still damage any electrical items without the engine running. Standard procedure when touching / modifying anything that has power is to disconnect the battery first, even tiny LED lights .... so it is possible that you have damaged the MAF sensor when removing it... as it was still powered.
The simple rule is always disconnect the negative pole on the battery before starting any electrical work on your car... and make sure it cannot ground to any metal when its off the terminal...
Hope you get this fixed..
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very helpful point of view, thank you, I'll start looking for new sensor, I live in a country where is hard to find fj's parts, I hope will find soon.
Have a good evening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the exact code that is coming up?
Dear S/C
Code was P0101. Today I was to toyota dealer and maybe they found exact problem, don't know exactly is that true or not.
According the P0101, toyota system says that: Something must not be lower than -20% and more than +20%, my FJ doing it by +24%. I don't what it exactly means. But now I installed old air intake and tomorrow they'll check that percentage again, if it will show same 24% it will ensure us that, mess is not TRD CAI's fault, so final reason will be Fuel Injection System, which must be cleaned up.

·
Registered
46 Posts

From a quick search on this site I found the above picture.

+/-20 Air Fuel ratio is what you were talking about.

Time to check the PCV valve and hose connections.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

From a quick search on this site I found the above picture.

+/-20 Air Fuel ratio is what you were talking about.

Time to check the PCV valve and hose connections.
yes but i checked everything on trd cai, it was well tighten. Even check light coming on while factory filter is working, but sometimes. Maybe when it catches ratio more than +20%, for example now it is turned off, it did itself without diagnostic or battery disconnection.

·
Registered
525 Posts
+20% or +24% is usually a vacuum leak,pcv and +14% with your stock airbox is still too high or lean. if it corrects while driving it's a vacuum leak if it's still high while driving it could be fuel delivery or maf sensor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts