Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm new to the Forum, I just bought a 07 Fj with 117k miles about a week ago. I'm coming from a 05 4runner and so far I love the Fj. It is completely stock expect for 31 bfgs with about 50% of tred left. I need to replace one of the shocks and figured id upgrade them, I was thinking the old man emu 2.5 lift. I intend on putting a tent and a front bumper on, but I wasnt sure if I should replace the leaf springs as well. Has anyone done this lift or can anyone advise me on this behalf or enlighten me with fun facts about the Fj that I might not know.
Best Reagrds,
Kstarmack

·
Registered
100 Posts
You need to accurately calculate weight you intend to add as well as find your weight now.
This info will be used to find “best OME “ setup for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
325 Posts
kstarmack,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on purchasing your Cruiser.

I'm not going to recommend any brands but give you some general info to get you started. Unlike the 4runner, the FJ has coil springs at all 4 corners. There are 2 types of lift terminologies. (1) A Leveling Kit, which lifts just the front of the vehicle roughly 1.5 inches removing the Rake, making the vehicle sit completely level. (2) A Full Suspension Lift, replacing all 4 springs and shocks to achieve a taller overall stance. You can achieve 3 inches of total lift without any major modification. There are 5 inch lifts on the market but they require cutting out and replacing the frame crossmember. Radical, and I do not recommend them.

There is an entire section in this forum dedicated to lifting the FJ. You should also search Youtube for information. Once you've gained some knowledge, determine how much lift you desire and how much weight you intend to add to the vehicle. Factor in how you plan to use your FJ, then search brands to determine what springs and shocks will meet your needs. Also do research on aftermarket Upper Control Arms.

I will recommend the following: Don't be in a hurry to mod your Cruiser. Do your homework. Purchasing the correct components the first time will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just found some take off springs & struts from a 2020 TRD Tacoma for $25 locally. They lifted the front of my FJ 1.5". I did this to level it for cheap while I decide what suspension I want.
I've had my FJ almost 1 year & I am still trying to figure out what setup I want, read up & probably best to add your heavy accessories 1st, GL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts