Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my FJ a couple of years ago. Previous owners had no issues with smog and the TRD CAI, which looking at the diagram on the hood is ‘aftermarket’?

Are these intakes not CARB compliant and do any other FJs in California have a problem with these? Smog check guys got me running in circles talking to the dealer and I’d just like to proceed to pay my money to the state and move on with life. Does anybody in So Cal, specifically orange county area, have a reputable smog shop that they can recommend that is familiar with this setup?
Looks like the smog shop also accomplished losing 3 of the 6 screws from the intake cover in 5 minutes they took to ‘investigate’ the intake...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems easy enough. The one I have has the stainless steel looking cover, but the one in the attachment shows the style below. This is confusing, is there something I am missing or more to the story?

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are two different PNs, one is for 2007-2009, the other you have pictured is for 2010-2014. Look at the CARB pdf I posted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Apparently the PTR03-35090 is the second generation for the 2007-2009 years, you must have the original version. Here is a thread.

EDIT: Added these

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently the PTR03-35090 is the second generation for the 2007-2009 years, you must have the original version. Here is a thread.

EDIT: Added this
Got it, so different versions but same part number? Smog shop is stating that I need a sticker and a photo of the part with the part number to verify? I don’t understand their logic or process as they were being very vague. Ultimately they suggested that I bolt on the ‘stock’ intake, which I don’t have.

Toyota dealer is checking a part number they pulled up for the sticker and will call me back to confirm if it is available to me. In the meantime, this smog shop seems to be under educated because the EO documents are there. This is all highly confusing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yours is PTR05-35061, technically not CARB compliant.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yours is PTR05-35061, technically not CARB compliant.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Looks like smog is going to cost me $400 bucks in parts to replace a perfectly good intake due to a part number change?

So has anybody else on the forums run in to this issue? What was their ultimate solution? California smog never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, this is slightly uneventful. Toyota dealer called and told me they could sell me the sticker for $10. Drove there, bought it, and proceeded to return to the smog shop unwillingly. Smog tech looked at the sticker, complaining about it, and proceeded to check the vehicle. FJ passed. I shelled out the money and burned a few hours more than I would have liked to today.. driving in circles scratching my head.

@4W2FJC Thanks for your help..I guess it was ‘technically’ CARB compliant after all.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand California smog.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Great! Glad you got it worked out for only $10. This reminded me I need to get my CARB sticker.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had the same issue with my TRD intake. Turns out the carb number changed. I knew AFE made the intake for TRD so I contacted AFE and they sent me the sticker free with the new numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts