Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has worn out this 2007 FJ. Hardly any off-road or 4x4 usage, just high mileage.
This would make a good project truck for engine replacement and/or off-road only applications.
Current engine is original and had catastrophic oil loss and subsequent lockup. One cylinder bank checked - 2 at less than 50 psi even when oil added. TRD supercharger added before we bought it. Don't know if it is Factory or After.
187K miles
automatic 4x4
Warn winch (no remote)
ARB bumper
roof rack
high end Toyota stereo with sub
as stated above, engine is dead.
Catalytic converter codes showing, may need replacement.
original automatic transmission
new rear 3rd member from ECGS.
royal blue with black interior
new Goodyear A/T tires
interior clean and nice 7 out of 10.
will try to load pics.

Asking $6,000 or best offer. See in North Texas, north of Dallas.

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Impressive that your daughter beat the crap out of the FJ. I'm glad I bought both of mine little sedans! It certainly would make a nice project vehicle, GL with the sale!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't believe you can overbore a Toyota 4.0L. All you can do is re-ring and hope for the best. I'd find a replacement and ditch the supercharger. In favor of crawl boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't believe you can overbore a Toyota 4.0L. All you can do is re-ring and hope for the best.
Whaaaattt? Have we entered the era of the disposable vehicle?

That is incredibly short-sighted considering the number of FJ-40s still hanging on after all these years. Can someone confirm that?

Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
How much would it cost to get the engine rebuilt? :)
Long blocks run $3k to $5.5k + all the labor to change everything over and replace any other worn out engine components. If the engine is rebuildable, which I think it is, since it does turn over (he did the compression test), it will run $2k-$3k. The question I would pose is, if it ran out of oil, why would the compression be low in 2 cylinders? It is possible that the valve train was affected by the lack of oil pressure (chain, tensioners, cam bearing surfaces), but typically the crank train will seize first and I have seen many seized engines!

·
Registered
524 Posts
You should see if it's possible to get the 1VD-FTV (Toyota 4.5L turbo-diesel and twin turbo-diesel V8) imported and swap it in.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Maybe you two guys should meet up and try to come up with one usable vehicle between the two of you?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/618977-rollover-keep-sell.html

Mechanically fine....but needs new exterior.

Could be a Reese's peanut butter cup sort of moment....hey you got chocolate in my peanut buttter. Hey you got peanut butter in my chocolate. In this case, he has the drive train but it needs a new outer shell.

·
Desert Moderator
5,856 Posts
Drop a replacement engine out of a wrecked FJ in there and you're golden. No dramas with transplants and it's an intact vehicle. You could decide to keep or sell the supercharger.
There's plenty of rolled or otherwise insurance written off FJs out there to find a decent engine from.
Just make sure that it's the mk1 version of the engine (single VVTI, not dual VVTI - they are completely different).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.