Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,i purchased this 2007 FJ with 255k on it.about 4 months ago,i have a friend that buys cars from the Southern Auto Auction in Windsor,Ct.I took a chance on it for $5,000.00.The frame is in Great shape however in the engine compartment lots of surface rust,i have been working on it little by little,as I am 66 and work for myself,and just when I get time I tackle this project.Just wanted to let people know,that if it is not your daily,then you do not have to rush it.Here is a list of what I have done so far.Removed all components in engine compartment,air clean,battery holder,power steering res,Sanded down to metal and undercoated with black Por-15,then removed coils from spark plugs to change plugs(what a job from keeping 10mm bolts from breaking off,i heated them up with an induction tool,then used a Harbor Frieght socket set that bites into head of bolt as they were completely rusted,you can only heat up a little or you might melt the coil),I was able to change all plugs,WOW Gap was around 50.Just an fyi I heard some people say that there FJ had 3 plugs Denso and 3 plugs of another brand...mine were all Denso,i put the same back in,Next I went for the fluids.Oil,5/30 full Synthetic,Drain and filled Tranny,Toyota WS,put back what I took out,i was not going to flush,my buddy is Head Mechanic at Hartford Toyota In Hartford,Ct.that is what they do.I did drop the pan and change the filter even though he said I did not need too.there was not a lot of metal chips on magnets or in pan,then I changed all diff oils.FYI,i found a receipt from pep boys In the glove box,New ties at 153k,the owners name was on receipt so I called him and he gave me the lowdown of why he traded it in,and bought a 2019 4 Runner,says he should have kept his FJ..He says he bought fj new and lives on an island off the Rhode Island Coast,that is why so mush surface rust,and I mean surface,as I got underneath while I had fj on big heavy duty truck jack stands,to get it higher off the ground,i used finger air tool to get off surface rust and in process of using por-15 and Fluid film in areas that just needed to be wire brushed.The pevious owner said he worked in Boston,about a 1-2 hour drive from his house Monday-Friday,so there is a lot of highway miles,so according to what I here ,my FJ has about 40-50 k road miles..,i do not know how true that is,but it has never been off road,and is very tight.i want to put 5100 bilsteins on but not now,it rides fine I gave the Cooper tires to my Daughter for her 2000 4 Runner and put on Toyo"s.As of right now I am finishing up installing all new calipers short break lines off caliper rusted.. all 4,new slotted rotors,Akebono pads,all 4 sway bar links,moog.this truck runs Great,i always wanted one,It is silver and black inside,has the gauges on dash,a-trac,etc.My daily is a 2004 Lexus GX470 with 160k on it.thanks for letting me ramble...joe w

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi again,My son is 25 and goes off road with his 2009 Jeep Wrangler,i do not like jeeps,i asked him why he did not get an FJ,he says he can do a lot more cool things wiyh the Jeep..LIKE GETTING STUCK!!!,so I got this to pull him out when he gets stuck..Ha Ha

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Joe, welcome form Ohio!
Great story, congrats on your FJ ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the good read. Now let’s see some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,155 Posts
Greetings from VT! That’s a lucky FJ, found you for it’s owner ?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Welcome brother FJ'er. I think ur on your way to hours and hopefully years of enjoyment. My 2007 FJ TRD SE has been a joy since I purchased it new in Seattle. I'm 68 years old and in the airline industry. I left my employer in the Pacific Northwest for a new employer in Oahu Hawaii. Shipping my FJ next week. Been here a month now and love it but miss my FJ my wife and the dog. All three are coming soon. Oh ya think our 4 runner will have to make the trip too. Anyway enjoy that new to u FJ....

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Nice price on your FJ purchase, sounds like a fun project! Welcome to the forum, full of good folks and good information.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome brother FJ'er. I think ur on your way to hours and hopefully years of enjoyment. My 2007 FJ TRD SE has been a joy since I purchased it new in Seattle. I'm 68 years old and in the airline industry. I left my employer in the Pacific Northwest for a new employer in Oahu Hawaii. Shipping my FJ next week. Been here a month now and love it but miss my FJ my wife and the dog. All three are coming soon. Oh ya think our 4 runner will have to make the trip too. Anyway enjoy that new to u FJ....
Hi Seattle,Did you buy yours new?

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 3" lift, american racing rims, homemade t-case shift handle
282 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Nice score on the FJ! As stated before...pics please lol

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Welcome from Oregon ?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Full Flushing details on another category.flushing facts."Trans flushing and procedure facts",which is on this firum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts