Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I joined recently. Can someone be kind to point me to the section that talks about engine rebuild.
My engine with 377k has blown gaskets. I'm trying to read more posts on engine rebuild before I decide to rebuild it or just buy a used engine.
My cousin is a machinist, so he's going to help me with the rebuild. In the process of removing the engine.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
You have at least 3 options:
1. Buy a short block directly from Toyota, have the heads rebuilt by a local (& reputable) auto machine shop, and install the "new + rebuilt" engine;
2. Find a lower-mileage engine salvaged from a clean, wrecked 4Runner or FJ. You'll have to find the appropriate engine type, single VVTi ('02-'09) or dual VVTi ('10 or later) to match your original engine.
3. Rebuild your original engine, if the engine has been well-maintained and doesn't have ANY issues other than the failed head gasket(s). But be advised that the 1GR-FE is a complex, close-tolerance engine and parts cost can skyrocket if there many other parts that are nearing end-of-life. Cam chains, guides and tensioner, VVTi actuators, valve guides and valve stem oil seals, probably piston rings and all crank and rod bearings, etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi wiyn, welcome from Ohio!
First congrats on the FJ and good wishes for getting it back in operation.
FJtest is one of the top members here for maintenance and repair knowledge. I know option 3 may seem like the most wallet friendly option at the outset, but if you have the budget I think FJtest's order ranks the choices for the best for dollar per mile expense long term. Whichever route you go, hope you're on the road soon!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I guess a lot depends on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. 377K miles is a lot of miles as far as the rest of the driveline, ABS brake booster system, etc.

If you are looking to just get a few more years of use out of the vehicle, then the least-expensive engine repair option might make sense.

Again, it depends on how well maintained the vehicle has been during its entire life, how conservatively it was driven, and the root cause of the blown head gasket(s).

Did the engine severely overheat? Was it losing coolant for a long time before the final catastrophic head gasket failure? Was ANY coolant ever found in the engine oil?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Buy a short block directly from Toyota, have the heads rebuilt by a local (& reputable) auto machine shop, and install the "new + rebuilt" engine;
2. Find a lower-mileage engine salvaged from a clean, wrecked 4Runner or FJ. You'll have to find the appropriate engine type, single VVTi ('02-'09) or dual VVTi ('10 or later) to match your original engine.
3. Rebuild your original engine, if the engine has been well-maintained and doesn't have ANY issues other than the failed head gasket(s). But be advised that the 1GR-FE is a complex, close-tolerance engine and parts cost can skyrocket if there many other parts that are nearing end-of-life. Cam chains, guides and tensioner, VVTi actuators, valve guides and valve stem oil seals, probably piston rings and all crank and rod bearings, etc., etc., etc.
Thank you man for your recommendations. appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all for you response. I love this car and will try to get it back on the road. I was able to remove most of the stuff that is in the way of getting the head out.
I'm going to try to remove the heads next weekend and have my cousin who is a engine building/machinest inspect the conditions of it. I found a used engine at 110k. Will decide to buy or not base on what problems we find. The gaskets and seals were so brittle. surprise this engine got up to 377 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would yo recommend buying a used Japanese engine? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Toyota has made many different versions of the 1GR-FE engine for different international markets, and they have also evolved in subtle ways over the years. To reduce the potential for problems related to incompatibility between engine and the rest of the complex Engine Control System, you would probably better off to find an engine of the same model year as your FJ.

If a supplier of Japanese engines can GUARANTEE compatibility, then maybe there's not so much risk.

Looking at your photo of the engine with the valve covers removed, there doesn't appear to be any severe sludging present. Prior to the head gasket failure, did the engine run well (no oil burning, no OBDII codes, decent fuel economy, etc.)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi FJtest. smoke was coming out of the from the head gasket and losing coolant. I looked at it last night. I noticed lots of oil from the head gasket.
I just bought a used 1GR-F3 jdm engine with 60k. The salesman guaranty it will work. He mentioned you just have to swap out the sensors that don't fit the, new to old engine.
I thought about rebuilding it, but with such high mileage. Sounds like a higher risks and cost maybe close to a used jdm engine. Owner told me Toyota never recommended him to change the timing chains. I'm very surprised reach to 377k. Amazing engine. I bought a complete gasket oem set for $190, so i will swap out gaskets and seals, except for the head gaskets.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Hi FJtest. smoke was coming out of the from the head gasket and losing coolant. I looked at it last night. I noticed lots of oil from the head gasket.
I just bought a used 1GR-F3 jdm engine with 60k. The salesman guaranty it will work. He mentioned you just have to swap out the sensors that don't fit the, new to old engine.
I thought about rebuilding it, but with such high mileage. Sounds like a higher risks and cost maybe close to a used jdm engine. Owner told me Toyota never recommended him to change the timing chains. I'm very surprised reach to 377k. Amazing engine. I bought a complete gasket oem set for $190, so i will swap out gaskets and seals, except for the head gaskets.
What year vehicle did the JDM engine come out of?

If the JDM engine is the same series as your original engine, I can't think of any sensors that would have to be swapped between engines. Did the JDM engine sales guy state which sensors might have to be changed?

Let us know how the engine transplant goes, and if you have any problems with ODBII problem codes.

As far as timing chain life, I think there are forum members who have 500K miles on the original engines, with the original timing chains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not exactly sure. The salesman promise it will work. Knock on wood. I'll keep you updated. Thanks FJtest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some fun updates: The jdm engine looks great when I received it, but oh boy there was a leak on the timing chain cover. I was paranoid so I did compression test; two cylinders had 60 psi.
Frustrated I returned the engine and decided to do a rebuild at my cousin's shop. Discovered a headgasket problem after we took off everything. Share some photos of the process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts