Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into the Toyota dealer "to look". Told them I couldn't afford a new one ($40,000 Can), so they had me test drive the only used one they had. A purple (what is the Toyota name for that colour in 2007?) automatic, non-off-road package. Ended up getting a deal I couldn't refuse.

Now, I used to own a 1969 FJ40, then a 1982 FJ60 (tapered engine compartment with small fenders sticking out). I remember them with rose coloured glasses. The BEST mileage I ever got with the FJ40 was 15 MPG imperial and with the FJ60 - 20 MPG imperial. They weren't exactly "gutless" but they would slow down on mountain pass'. They were cold in winter and hot in summer (no A/C), rode like "lumber wagons", didn't handle well, were noisy, and I loved both of them (kept each one 11 years).

The FJ Cruiser, while a bit of a guzzler, should be giving me around 25 MPG imperial but we'll see. Only burned 1/2 a tank so far.
Keep in mind I own a 2007 Prius and love it. My first impression of the FJ is it's a hoot to drive, but is so 20th century! I actually have to get the key out of my pocket to drive it! (the Prius has SKS - smart key system - you keep the FOB in your pocket, touch the door handle and it senses the FOB and unlocks the door for you, then you press the "on/off" button, and again it senses the FOB in your pocket and starts the car). The vehicle I had before the Prius was a 2001 Pathfinder LE AWD.

Took me an hour to get used to the power. Kept spinning the rear wheels taking off from lights and stops, as with the Prius, to get going you actually -press down- on the accelerator to go. The FJ you -imply- you want to go and you do. Nice! Traction is amazing, but I suppose with a set of tires costing $1300 they should work well. ;)

Can't wait for the weather to warm up (it's -18 to -20 C or just below 0F here right now) so I can start to install amateur radios, GPS modules, etc.

What do you guys do to carry "stuff" such as tow straps, shovels, booster cables, etc.? Build a box on the floor in back?

Anyway, I have to keep calming myself down so I don't keep driving the FJ. I use the Prius whenever possible, and the FJ when it's tough driving (ice and snow or off-road and gravel travel).

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the FJC madness!
The color you purchased is "Black Cherry"
Most people use simple bags to carry recovery gear. Some have opted for purpose built box/drawer setups. I use the M-PAC system from http://www.springtailsolutions.com/ with some additional molle bags of my own.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Welcome.

But its time to park the Prius and enjoy the FJ.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
2010 FJ/prius owner here too!! Welcome to the FJ community!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome...from fellow noob!!

I wish the FJ was offered in purple (like actual purple); that would have been the cake and eating it too!!!

The FJ is the kind of vehicle that can pull that off for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Admin
8,449 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome to the gang and congrats on the rig.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Some refer to it as "MAN PURPLE"!:rofl: Either way Congetes and Welcome to the maddness.. besure to keep every one posted on mods and adventures:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Congrats on your purchase of the FJ (in the best of colors) and welcome to the Forum. Let the fun begin as well as the end of your own funds. It is not the mpg issue; it is all of the mods that you will want that will liquidate your assets.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Congrats on the buy and that you found us here on the web.

About your "should get 25mpg"....ummm....Good luck with that. lol. I got into the high 24 range one time on a long highway trip in the summer. Cold weather is a monster on mpg for me. Normally in the summer I can get almost 500km before the fuel light comes on but routinely 480. In the winter it drops down to maybe 400-420 depending on how cold it is.

But as with most of us you love it anyway and smile everytime you see it. You will find yourself parking it so you can see it out windows and in parking lots you will catch yourself parking so you can admire it as you exit the store...lol...Oh yeah you will also find yourself wanting to park near other FJs (especially when you start modding it)....:rocker:

Enjoy your newest addiction because this monkey never gets off your back....EVER!!!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Some refer to it as "MAN PURPLE"!:rofl: Either way Congetes and Welcome to the maddness.. besure to keep every one posted on mods and adventures:cheers:
Man purple? Ummm... Uhhh... Nope, I've got nothing on this at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I really like the black cherry, I like to call it maroon myself.
How is the transition from a Prius to an FJ treating you, other than at the pump.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the black cherry, I like to call it maroon myself.
How is the transition from a Prius to an FJ treating you, other than at the pump.
The Prius is 21st century. An electronic car. Hence my comment that the FJ is "so 20th century". The Prius is actually easy to drive in the winter due to its' refusal to spin a tire. So you don't loose what little traction you do have on ice due to heating the tire by spinning it. Plus VSC (yes the FJ has that too) and small size and only 3000 lbs makes the Prius much easier to drive, especially in parking lots! And of course the FJ uses more than 3x as much fuel.

But the FJ is a lot of fun to drive. I'm impressed by the exhaust note. And if I use 4WD high on icy side streets it's got amazing traction. I also forgot how nice it is to sit so high.

I got used to the throttle (careful there dude!) in a few hours.

Still love the Prius, and now I also love the FJ. For different reasons and different uses.

The Prius excels at efficient use of space. Storage everywhere. I'm amazed the same company's engineers were not able to put -any- useful storage in the HUGE FJ! My FJ40 had a steel storage compartment under the drivers seat for example. Yes, things in there often got wet, but it was lockable too!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the "Man Purple FJ". I just use a big old duffel bag for my stuff in the back. It's big enough for all my recovery gear, first aid kit and the like. :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your FJ!........:cheers:

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you prefer the brick color to black cherry, good news. If you don't wash it ever it will look less purple. I just had mine detailed and I had forgotten how awesome the real color is.

As far as MPG, I got around 20 when it was stock. Now I'm rockin' about 14.5. Fortunately I work at home.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If it suits your taste more, the "man purple" 2007's were also called "Bordeaux". Same color with different name...not sure I ever figured out why they did that.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts