Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
elemint said:
They just make you need to wear sun glasses when driving and cause you to loose head room.
Really? Well first of all, you can close it, and take off your shades. Second, as far as I know, it gives you MORE headroom.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
The only way it gives you more headroom is to have it open and stick you head out the hole.:D Those of us that are not verticly challeged need all the room we can get. I hate driveing around with the seatback lowered way down so it looks like I am driving a "Pimpmobile".:eek: I prefer to sit up halfway straight.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
mbisson said:
The only way it gives you more headroom is to have it open and stick you head out the hole.:D Those of us that are not verticly challeged need all the room we can get. I hate driveing around with the seatback lowered way down so it looks like I am driving a "Pimpmobile".:eek: I prefer to sit up halfway straight.
Having sat in the FJC let me say, sunroof or not, you are not going to run into headroom problems unless you are above 6 and a half feet tall. I'm 5'10" and with the seat in its highest position there was easily a 3/4 of a foot of space above my head.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Thats good to know. I can't evern wear a hat in my Tundra.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
mbisson said:
Thats good to know. I can't evern wear a hat in my Tundra.

Not the best picture to illustrate my point but the guy in the front seat is 6'2", look how much room is above his head before you hit the roof line.

Also, if anyone is concerned about the back seat, the guy in the back of the FJC is over 6' as well.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Granger, copy that post and save it somewhere so we can add to the FAQ page - that's definitely one of the more popular NOOB questions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 94 Cruiser which we took up to the redrock trails of Sedona, Ariz. The sunroof is a great option when crawling over rocks and sliding through skinny trails, not to mention at night, for star-watching (who needs to watch the road, eh?). I'm glad to hear the new FJ has more headroom---but what was a bigger problem I found in the 94 (I'm 6'5") is the leg room: the seat didn't go back quite far enough.

Looking to get one of these bad boys in summer or fall.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ocbanana said:
Oh... by the way, the sunroof adds to the price of the vehicle, which TMS decided against as they wanted to keep this car as affordable as possible. The tried to think of ways to save money without jacking the price up too high... and things like a sunroof add to the price of the vehicle.

As far as head room, you'll have plenty as the seats are also 8 way adjustable seats... and back seats are surprisingly roomy.
i thought the sunroof lowered the price because there was less metal n stuff.

toyo trying to keep price down? why they charging for a friggin passenger seat armrest? convenience package? lame lame lame. it's base price is 23,5....but wait, there's more!!! you also get to pay XXX for this and XXX for that!!!! on top of that we're goign to throw in some running boards at premium cost!!! :D

i love this truck - but dam - maybe i do need a taco......DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
caliFJ said:
i thought the sunroof lowered the price because there was less metal n stuff.

toyo trying to keep price down? why they charging for a friggin passenger seat armrest? convenience package? lame lame lame. it's base price is 23,5....but wait, there's more!!! you also get to pay XXX for this and XXX for that!!!! on top of that we're goign to throw in some running boards at premium cost!!! :D

i love this truck - but dam - maybe i do need a taco......DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!
This has been said often, but just wait for a month or so. Then the "custom" orders should be able to be purchased.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Acutally, in light of the recent news about which accessories will not be available at launch I will be saving money.

I can now cross, door sill bling, wind deflector w/lights, hood protector... not a lot of money mind you, but it might kick it back down to around 28K!

SWEET.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ocbanana said:
So you would think... but logic doesn't always work when it comes to the auto industry. Because of the extra engineering work, fittings and such, sunroofs will always add to the cost of a vehicle. And when auto makers mention "affordable pricing", they really just mean a stripped down version is affordable... they've got to make money somewhere. But, for what the car is... I think it's affordable...

And as far as Toyota coming out with a removable top... not going to happen. After this year, the plan is to come in with a 6th color (tan) and offer a "special addition" all black FJ Cruiser...
a special edition? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......:D

any word on cupholders?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ocbanana said:
Yup... all black special edition... black roof, black color keyed body... and smoked out lights... They will also be adding a few cosmetic touches, of which I have no idea on details...
are you merely regurgitating old information or do you have anything new on the special edition? we've known for about 15 years now of the rumored all black submachine edition. if you are in the know, please provide details about stuff we really care about - suspension specs, tires, rock rails, standard accessories being offered with the SE and whether or not it will come with a built in camping crapper,....heated,...of course.

·
Registered
28 Posts
caliFJ said:
are you merely regurgitating old information or do you have anything new on the special edition? we've known for about 15 years now of the rumored all black submachine edition. if you are in the know, please provide details about stuff we really care about - suspension specs, tires, rock rails, standard accessories being offered with the SE and whether or not it will come with a built in camping crapper,....heated,...of course.
Woa... just found this site, so I'm just trying to contribute... wasn't sure what you all know or do not know. I've read some misinformation and some good information... but for the most part, most everyone obviously knows plenty. Nonetheless, the SE is marked to come stock with TRD exhaust, offroad suspension kit, the aforementioned rock rails (but in silver)...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ocbanana said:
Woa... just found this site, so I'm just trying to contribute... wasn't sure what you all know or do not know. I've read some misinformation and some good information... but for the most part, most everyone obviously knows plenty. Nonetheless, the SE is marked to come stock with TRD exhaust, offroad suspension kit, the aforementioned rock rails (but in silver)...
now go back to your rock!!!!!! :D

i kid i kid

welcome. dig up more information and be sure to visit the arcade.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
[U]FJ Exaltation Poetry[/U]

Long ago a Far East company sold Land’ FJ40’s
That became the standard for all off road sorties.
Then the company erred and discontinued manufacture
Of the leader of off pavement four wheel adventure.

But along comes 2006 and new FJ Cruiser news
With retro style and pedigree trail worthy reviews.
Rugged fans buy 4 by 4 with transmission of manual,
Plus, Toyota will furnish an alternate for the casual.

Now mister executive are you listening carefully
The options are chosen by individuals especially
To meet their expectations, desires and characters
With reasonable prices that fit budget parameters.

Be true to your patrons and provide a color pallet
And install only those parts that buyers will wallet;
Open sun above, not noisy speakers in the roof,
And solid bumpers and rock rails made bullet proof.

When offering a limited run for the new 4 by 4,
First reduce the C pillar and change the back door,
Then install rear air flow for warm day excursion,
And call the special Cruiser the Red Rocks Edition.

The new truck is great, but uniqueness is a must,
So cater to our desires before we drive into the dust,
And trust in Toyota means well built and reliable,
But please, at a price that is competitively viable.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Kansas Law Dog said:
Long ago a Far East company sold Land’ FJ40’s
That became the standard for all off road sorties.
Then the company erred and discontinued manufacture
Of the leader of off pavement four wheel adventure.

But along comes 2006 and new FJ Cruiser news
With retro style and pedigree trail worthy reviews.
Rugged fans buy 4 by 4 with transmission of manual,
Plus, Toyota will furnish an alternate for the casual.

Now mister executive are you listening carefully
The options are chosen by individuals especially
To meet their expectations, desires and characters
With reasonable prices that fit budget parameters.

Be true to your patrons and provide a color pallet
And install only those parts that buyers will wallet;
Open sun above, not noisy speakers in the roof,
And solid bumpers and rock rails made bullet proof.

When offering a limited run for the new 4 by 4,
First reduce the C pillar and change the back door,
Then install rear air flow for warm day excursion,
And call the special Cruiser the Red Rocks Edition.

The new truck is great, but uniqueness is a must,
So cater to our desires before we drive into the dust,
And trust in Toyota means well built and reliable,
But please, at a price that is competitively viable.
best first post ever.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Agreed - welcome to the obsession - even if you are a law dog... =)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Percy / caliFJ,

I'm not what you think. I chose the sign-on "Kansas Law Dog" because (1) I live in Kansas (Colorado transplant that needed a good paying job) and (2) I thought the roll Kurt Russell played as Wyatt Earp in Tombstone was classic, especially when he totally ignored Ike Clanton as Ike said "We don't like Kansas Law Dogs around here."

That said, thanks for the compliment. I have been monitoring this website for a while - it is the best on FJ Cruisers, bar none. The discussion by most of the members is invaluable and it seems that everyone has some special knowledge to contribute.

I agreed with others that Toyota looks at this site from time to time and I wanted to add my two cents about my desires in the Cruiser and how I expect to be treated by Toyota. Hence, the poem.

I am a long time Landcruiser owner. The first was a 1978 FJ40 that I traded in on a 1991 (because kids were too little to strap into the facing rear seats) and then traded the 91 for a 99 because the V8 is such a sweet power plant. So I have continuously owned Landcruisers for 27+ years. However, the 99 is too expensive to be a toy and bounce over rocks. I really miss my old 1978 for its ruggedness.

The new FJ isn't perfect, but neither was the 78. (It was a rust icon and the engine consumed oil, even after a complete ring job). That said the FJ is my top pick for my next 4x4. It can transport my briefcase to the office everyday, and carry my fishing gear and high top boots when driving to a secluded alpine lake in the Rockies. Furthermore, the 8 hour drive on I-70 from Kansas to the mountains will be in comfort.

I don't have an FJ on order yet and intend to wait a year. Toyota will not be able to incorporate many changes from year one to year two, but I believe that a sunroof is a real possibility. Also, by then they should have a dark tan interior to provide an alternate to the charcoal interior. Exterior colors such as red, tan and green (hopefully forest green like my 78) will make more sense. Also, I have FJ's papa to drive for another year while I decide on the options on the FJ that are right for me.

The target buyers are young adults, but this old codger wants one. Maybe Toyota will take pity on us old guys and realize that we can't hear anymore and speakers in the roof are a waste and won't change our hair color. My hair is white and I want the wind from the sunroof and rolled down windows to blow through it. Also, there needs to be a way for the air flow to vent out the back. The Landcruiser has back wing windows for that purpose. No need for the FJ to have electric wing windows, manual will be fine. Also, I like the tail gate operation of the 1999 Landcruiser, better than the swing gate on the FJ, but I predict that change will not occur for a few years.

The town where I live in Kansas has diagonal parking (as opposed to parallel parking) and that large C pillar will be problematic with the vision restriction while backing out. Maybe if I practice good boating skills and honk with two long blasts before backing up the people driving down the street will recognize an impending disaster and provide room for me.

Finally, only the 4x2 should have running boards, the 4x4 should all be equiped with rock rails as standard. Toyota - what were you thinking?

·
Registered
984 Posts
"Law don't go around here law dog...yeah law don't go around here law dog."
"I heard you the first time....winner..500 dollars to the queen"
"Yeah shut up Ike"

haha great movie

141 - 160 of 202 Posts