Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Percy / caliFJ,

I'm not what you think. I chose the sign-on "Kansas Law Dog" because (1) I live in Kansas (Colorado transplant that needed a good paying job) and (2) I thought the roll Kurt Russell played as Wyatt Earp in Tombstone was classic, especially when he totally ignored Ike Clanton as Ike said "We don't like Kansas Law Dogs around here."

That said, thanks for the compliment. I have been monitoring this website for a while - it is the best on FJ Cruisers, bar none. The discussion by most of the members is invaluable and it seems that everyone has some special knowledge to contribute.

I agreed with others that Toyota looks at this site from time to time and I wanted to add my two cents about my desires in the Cruiser and how I expect to be treated by Toyota. Hence, the poem.

I am a long time Landcruiser owner. The first was a 1978 FJ40 that I traded in on a 1991 (because kids were too little to strap into the facing rear seats) and then traded the 91 for a 99 because the V8 is such a sweet power plant. So I have continuously owned Landcruisers for 27+ years. However, the 99 is too expensive to be a toy and bounce over rocks. I really miss my old 1978 for its ruggedness.

The new FJ isn't perfect, but neither was the 78. (It was a rust icon and the engine consumed oil, even after a complete ring job). That said the FJ is my top pick for my next 4x4. It can transport my briefcase to the office everyday, and carry my fishing gear and high top boots when driving to a secluded alpine lake in the Rockies. Furthermore, the 8 hour drive on I-70 from Kansas to the mountains will be in comfort.

I don't have an FJ on order yet and intend to wait a year. Toyota will not be able to incorporate many changes from year one to year two, but I believe that a sunroof is a real possibility. Also, by then they should have a dark tan interior to provide an alternate to the charcoal interior. Exterior colors such as red, tan and green (hopefully forest green like my 78) will make more sense. Also, I have FJ's papa to drive for another year while I decide on the options on the FJ that are right for me.

The target buyers are young adults, but this old codger wants one. Maybe Toyota will take pity on us old guys and realize that we can't hear anymore and speakers in the roof are a waste and won't change our hair color. My hair is white and I want the wind from the sunroof and rolled down windows to blow through it. Also, there needs to be a way for the air flow to vent out the back. The Landcruiser has back wing windows for that purpose. No need for the FJ to have electric wing windows, manual will be fine. Also, I like the tail gate operation of the 1999 Landcruiser, better than the swing gate on the FJ, but I predict that change will not occur for a few years.

The town where I live in Kansas has diagonal parking (as opposed to parallel parking) and that large C pillar will be problematic with the vision restriction while backing out. Maybe if I practice good boating skills and honk with two long blasts before backing up the people driving down the street will recognize an impending disaster and provide room for me.

Finally, only the 4x2 should have running boards, the 4x4 should all be equiped with rock rails as standard. Toyota - what were you thinking?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Great 2nd post too KLD. Keep em coming. Glad you've piped in with the rest of us gray and/or white haired codgers around here, since there's not many around these parts.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
KLD - welcome to the obsession. We are all certifiable but probably not curable.... I feel your pain having moved from Colorado to Texas for a better paying job. I love Colorado, but who can live on minimum wage? I was turned down for fast food jobs because the manager already had guys with doctorate degrees running the fry vats...

Beautiful state and amazingly friendly people - pretty much impossible to get a job. I went back in September hoping that something had changed in the 11 years since I had left and turned out a healthy stack of applications and resumes only to find I was somehow still not qualified even with 13 years of verifiable experience and MANY positive references. One day... one day I will make it back home and I will never leave again.

Aside from that, the cruiser forum rules and Toyota does make it a point to check up on us. We were even mentioned in their internal publication Toyota Today!

Welcome to it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Nope, should be summer before you see actual specs. Think all black with BFG All Terrains, probably some TRD stuff, maybe a lift.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
GM apparantly owns the rights to the "Moab" name so it won't be called that. But yes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All!

I'm new here and drooling over the FJ like the rest of you. I'm having a hard time decoding the pricing list, so could someone do me a huge favor and price the FJ I'm looking at for me? Thanks a lot

It includes:

-4x4 6MT
-Convenience Package
-17inch alloys (stand-alone option)
-Carpeted floor mats
-Roof Rack
-Roof Rack Bike Attachment

·
Registered
459 Posts
Driven Mikey said:
Hi All!

I'm new here and drooling over the FJ like the rest of you. I'm having a hard time decoding the pricing list, so could someone do me a huge favor and price the FJ I'm looking at for me? Thanks a lot

It includes:

-4x4 6MT (22890)
-Convenience Package (1840)
-17inch alloys (stand-alone option) (600)
-Carpeted floor mats (200)
-Roof Rack (649)
-Roof Rack Bike Attachment (189)

26368 BEFORE destination charge and taxes @ MSRP

Approx 28421 out the door after destination, title and taxes @ MSRP

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put my deposit down two weeks ago. Local dealer has secured my Black 6 speed manual. It landed in New York today and I am expecting delivery next week. Been waiting 3 years for this puppy since I saw it at the Javits car show in 03.
Can't wait BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice info everyone! Thank you, especially for the KBB link with invoice & MSRP on the options. Like most people here, I'm adding up enough options to go over the $30k mark. Does anyone have reliable pricing on the exhaust & towing packages? Also, the Roof Rack isn't included in any packages? That is absurd. Keep the pricing info coming folks! Dealer should be calling me in a few weeks to schedule a test drive.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I just now "locked in" my new FJ at John Elway Toyota in CO.:D Here is
my build spec:

Sun Fusion
AT
4X4
CQ DL AL FE GY CF 37

I got it at MSRP with a $399 Dealer fee and unfortunately, I have to
pay the 6% sales tax because I live in Florida, even though I am
buying the car from here! :(

MSRP $27539
+ $399 Dealer fee
+ Tax

Do not have an exact delivery date yet, but should no more by tomorrow. Looking at
first week in April for delivery right now!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
MelloFJYellow said:
I just now "locked in" my new FJ at John Elway Toyota in CO.:D Here is
my build spec:

Sun Fusion
AT
4X4
CQ DL AL FE GY CF 37

I got it at MSRP with a $399 Dealer fee and unfortunately, I have to
pay the 6% sales tax because I live in Florida, even though I am
buying the car from here! :(

MSRP $27539
+ $399 Dealer fee
+ Tax

Do not have an exact delivery date yet, but should no more by tomorrow. Looking at
first week in April for delivery right now!
Mellow,

I know of a yellow AT with CQ, UP and airbags available for the first run and located in MD.

Looks like your good though

Anyone? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Just FYI..............Once I get my FJ, I am willing to sell my 17" alloy
wheels to anyone who might want them at cost, and you can buy my
tires too for whatever YOU think is a FAIR price? ;) This is contigent
on whether or not I can find a compatible wheel to go with the
Bridgestone Dueler Revo's I have on order!:cool:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
MelloFJYellow said:
Just FYI..............Once I get my FJ, I am willing to sell my 17" alloy
wheels to anyone who might want them at cost, and you can buy my
tires too for whatever YOU think is a FAIR price? ;) This is contigent
on whether or not I can find a compatible wheel to go with the
Bridgestone Dueler Revo's I have on order!:cool:
I'll sell mine for $1 cheaper then Mellow

;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
tattooedbones said:
Nice info everyone! Thank you, especially for the KBB link with invoice & MSRP on the options. Like most people here, I'm adding up enough options to go over the $30k mark. Does anyone have reliable pricing on the exhaust & towing packages? Also, the Roof Rack isn't included in any packages? That is absurd. Keep the pricing info coming folks! Dealer should be calling me in a few weeks to schedule a test drive.

Thanks!

Try the search button for two good reasons:

1) alot of info on accessory pricing
2) you find out that the roof rack is in a package

Check out the C7 C8 thread

Are you getting a manual or auto?

It is easy to top out over 30k if you are not careful and want most of the toys. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my first post!!

I'm coming over from the UK soon and there are quite a few acronyms on this thread that I don't understand. EG PIO, MSRP etc. Is there a guide somewhere where I can find out what these things mean?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
PIO - Port installed option (as opposed to being installed in Japan at the factory)
EG - (I'm drawing a blank on this one - depending on context could Extra Gadgets)

161 - 180 of 202 Posts