Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's time to start the build page. So far loving the FJ and I can't wait to keep modding this thing as I own it.

I bought the truck used with 108K miles on it with the following equipped:
  • OME 3 inch lift
  • Bush-wacker fender flares
  • Expedition one front and rear bumpers
  • Bud Built skid plates (bumper to bumper including the fuel tank)
  • Magnaflow muffler (do not like the sound and will swap out at some point)
  • 285/70/17 Tires (2 BFG KM2's and 2 Hankook Dynapro MT's) front tires were shot when I got it so I had to get two used ones that matched the back tread wear.
  • Procomp 01 SERIES - SATIN BLACK
  • Harborfreight winch (not working)
  • Pioneer Double Din Touch screen head unit
  • Amp

Getting started:
First thing I did after getting the FJ was to do a complete maintenance check and service...so I did the following:
-AEM Dry flow filter
-Cleaned Throttle body and replaced gasket
-New Thermostat
-Replaced upper radiator hose
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced MAF (old one was looking sketchy and there was dirt and mud caked on it)
-Oxygen Sensors (all 4)
-PCV Valve
-Door handles (driver side was broke and the kit came with both sides)
-Window sills (all 4 were cracked and broken)
-Trans flush and filter replacement
-Alignment
-Oil change

Updated: 2/19/18

Current List of mods on the build:
Since I've had the FJ I've done a few things in the way of upgrades...and I'll add to this list as I own the truck.
  • Camburg Uniball UCA's
  • Smittybilt X20 Winch rated for 10K lbs and synthetic rope
  • Short Antenna 13.5"
  • Auxbeam LED H4 lights
  • All in one Key fob added
  • Sound deadening material to go in the back
  • LED fog lights installed
  • USA stealth flags on the rear quarter glass
  • Black out decal on the hood
  • Add the splash guards back in
  • Springtail Solution Rear basket
  • Winch Relay disconnect
  • Relay and switch panel installed
  • CB installed (Cobra C75 W)
  • LED back up lights in bumper
  • Wheel well lights wired

Pending list of things to get done on the FJ in the next few weeks/months:
-F(x) Pro wheels
-Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70/17
-Thinking to go with a 52" light bar
-Roto Pax roof rack mount
-Pull factory roof rack and paint it (looks really faded by the sun after 10+ years).
-Dash cam install
-Install oil catch can

Future list of mods and upgrades to do, let's call this the wish list:
  • Extended travel coilovers in the front or long travel maybe???
  • TBD changes in the back
  • Change the old Head unit out for something newer with GPS and integration with the FJ's CPU (monitoring and what not)
  • Real sliders with a kickout
  • Research and install 2nd battery with applicable hardware
  • Tablet with GPS maps
  • Rear storage/organizer
  • Rock lights
  • More to come...

And now for the pictures!

Here's the crusher when I got her home on day one (more pics to come see next post for mod pictures and what not):

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a somewhat productive weekend putting my sound deadening material in the FJ. However half way through I was thinking to myself I wish I would have had my CB antenna wire I could have strung along one of the sides I took apart...however now that I know how to take the back apart and how easy it really is its not that big a deal I guess.

here's some action shots, i forgot to get a final picture of all the areas I covered, but basically it's everything from the back to just below the rear seats and all the wheel wells inside and out and up the side a little.

I bought 35 SQ ft of this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I did not use all of it. I have about 1.5 squares left.

I would say that if noise is a concern then by all means this is a great quality of life enhancement to make. Since this is going to be a family FJ, it needs to be quiet enough that my wife and son can ride in it without the discomfort of MT tires can cause (sound wise).

Now for some pictures!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The last couple weekends have been filled with mods and putting things on or fixing things on the FJ...I'm finally moving into things that I think make the FJ look even more unique. I'm all about things that are functional, but I enjoy trying to make my vehicles look cool at the same time.

Making the FJ More patriotic:
I'm proud of my country and happily put this decal on the FJ:

It came out looking cool IMO.

Next were some fog lights and hood blackout decal:

Ok back to functional.

Added a springtail solution rear basket and I have to say...I'm really impressed with the idea and design. I'm so happy the back of the FJ is more organized now.

I plan to do more back here but this is a good start.

instead of wiring up a ton of relays and switches in the cab, I went with a Suitech relay box and 6 switch pad. I can now add in 6 accessories and you can see one of them in the below picture (a 500 Amp relay disconnect for the winch). Right now I have the winch power and fog lights wired to it with more to come.

I ran a heavy gauge wire and post over the passenger side to support the mod

here's the switch pad that the product comes with and for $145 I have to say I'm impressed. The pad is very response and simple to use, here its held on with heavy duty double sided sticky tape 3M.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have more to come...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Awesome you used that Suitech relay box and 6 switch pad I was just looking at that today as one of the possible options for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome you used that Suitech relay box and 6 switch pad I was just looking at that today as one of the possible options for me.
Couldn't justify the cost of the spods one and didn't need or want all that functionality. This was the better option for me and there was plenty of cable to run it from the passenger side into the cab, under the dash and carpet over to where you see the switch pad installed. If you want or need some more details pics let me know and I can get them for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Couldn't justify the cost of the spods one and didn't need or want all that functionality. This was the better option for me and there was plenty of cable to run it from the passenger side into the cab, under the dash and carpet over to where you see the switch pad installed. If you want or need some more details pics let me know and I can get them for you.
Agree on the spod cost also wasn't in love with the way their switch panel looked. I was going to fill all the stock empty switch spots on the FJ and then use an spod like copy and then modify the single cable coming through the firewall to those switches. I do like that little touch panel you got though and can think of lot of cool mounting options.

Great minds think alike too! I have a huge pack of sound deadening for the back of my FJ just waiting for winter to be over here. Did you go up on the wheel wells too or stay just to the floor with it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree on the spod cost also wasn't in love with the way their switch panel looked. I was going to fill all the stock empty switch spots on the FJ and then use an spod like copy and then modify the single cable coming through the firewall to those switches. I do like that little touch panel you got though and can think of lot of cool mounting options.

Great minds think alike too! I have a huge pack of sound deadening for the back of my FJ just waiting for winter to be over here. Did you go up on the wheel wells too or stay just to the floor with it?
I went over the wheel wells and up the side a little. I have to say with MT tires it made a huge difference, my wife has commented on it now several times it's better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was able to do a few things recently to the Cobalt Crusher!

CB installed and fabricated my own mic mount from a jeep mount, it could be a little closer to the dash, but it's good for now.

Few glam shots of one of the CZ Scorpions I have (I make parts for the gun)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's some after shots of the lights installed in the rear bumper and wheel wells. Went with combo turn signal and lights for the bumper cause why not have more turn signal for people to see...

PS if you're putting an expo one bumper on...put the lights on with it cause it's a PITA to put them in later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts