Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I have read so much that I'm now more confused than ever. There seems to be some form of black magic being used in the 3 button key in FJ's for the years of 08/09. Some knucklehead lost his keys (me), but it came with another when I bought in 9 months ago, thank god. It has the infamous L stamped on it. I ordered a replacement key from car and truck remotes and of course it's back ordered. Alrighty then, can I follow this post and program the rig to start.. Diy programming a TRANSPONDER key for 2008 FJ. Or will it have to be programmed at either a dealer or locksmith? I live in Chicago so lots of locksmiths. Next question, there a few how-too's on utube in regards to programming the 3 buttons, will that work on this year? If so, can someone point me to the directions that worked for you? Or, do I need to just have the locksmith do it all?
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, after all of that I found my keys which had fallen off my deck and into the bushes. But I also bought some spare keys(sold in pairs) from Walmart before I found them, great deal, they have a dimple on the key. Followed instructions online to program key to start car, followed by instructions to program buttons to unlock doors. Worked great, only needed a lock smith to cut keys. Now here's what I also noticed and what I read about. Since I already had two keys programmed, the third key worked great, but could not get fourth to program. Something about there only being a certain amount of keys that can be programmed to the car. I guess you can have the dealer erase this, some lock smiths can as well, but 3 keys is enough for me. So, if you find yourself in the dilemma, read many posts where people could not program keys themselves, then I'm guessing part of the issue is this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts