Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Re: 208 Canyonlands Maze Trip

Nice. I don't recall being invited though. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Re: 208 Canyonlands Maze Trip

Great photos. We really have to get into Utah more.

I know all of you had a great time.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great pictures! My wife and I were there in April, Panorama Point, Maze Overlook, and the Dolls House. This was our very first trip with our FJ, only 1,000 miles when we left Spokane. We had a great time, we spent 7 days in Canyon Lands.

Oh, where is Silver Steps?
Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Cool hieroglyphics. I was especially intrigued by the collapsed chambers. How they were formed?

Looks like some of the spots may have been a little hair raising with a trailer in tow.

How many miles did you cover?

I’ll am eagerly waiting on an open invite to Canyonlands Maze Trip II.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Green River to Moab was about 350 Miles. I going to guess that about 200+ was off road. The problem with Maze trips is you a limited by the camping rules of no more than 3 car and 9 people per site. This prevents a large expedition. We also spent 1 night at Natural Bridges and then finished the trip driving through the Needles District and over Elephant Hill. I'll try to get all the pictures labeled.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice! Beautiful pics. How's the trailer? Did it affect your line much?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Beautiful shots - looks like you all had a great trip - thanks for sharing - :bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Very nice! Beautiful pics. How's the trailer? Did it affect your line much?
The trailer tracks only about 4" outside my line. It worked really well. The only challenge was Elephant Hill. On the back side there is one REALY tight switch back. With out the trailer I can make it in a 2 point turn. I was concerned that I was going to have to back the one section. Instead I went for it and was able to make it with no problems. I just ended up being about a 5 point turn. Dale was able to spot me from his FJ and tell me when the trailer was at about the max jackknife. The one thing I might do is modify the trailer so I can extend the tongue so I have mode room to backup. I would only extend it when I needed the extra room.

I did have a shock fail on the FJ but I don't think it was due to the trailer. Had the lower mount break off on a rear EMU.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks for the response. Do you have a thread about your trailer? Looks like the way to go when you go on longer trips.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Hey didn't we meet on Elephant Hill for the first time....and realized we were neighbors? :rofl:

I've been missin Dale's posts... you've been hiding him :D

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Unbelievable photos. Looks like yall and the Durhams had a great time. :)

This looks like the kind of trip we were talking about doing next year.

LilMissTNSquire (Makayla) was looking at the pics with me and she said I know her! (she remembers playing with your daughter this year at the Summit. :lol:)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I too met you all out there. I was on a Bill Burke 4WA expedition trip, Hole in the Rock, and we had stopped at an overlook above Beef Basin. Next thing I know Shirley pops her head in my window and hollars "Hi" at me (I had met her and Dale on the Kokpelli trip the previous month). When we saw you later at the base of Elephant Hill I did not think about how you got that trailer through (I wish I had seen that!).

Canonlands has some strict rules which are kind of unfriendly to group trips, besides the camping restrictions they also do not allow dogs, not even if they stay in the rig. I took mine through but she stayed low and we never met a ranger. I would really like to explore Canyonlands more completely but the anti-dog rule limits my access severly. Leaving my dog home is not an option as my home is on the road.

Please keep me in mind if your doing any other expedition trips in the future. I am retired and ready to go at a moments notice.

Alan "Ace" Brown

·
Premium Member
16,570 Posts
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts