Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 fj that i pull behind my motorhome. i have installed a blue ox face plate and tow bar along with a remco drive shaft disconnect. i have recently installed a readybreak surge brake system to help with breaking.. but after the installation and while on a test drive the fj was breaking to hard and it felt like the fj was going to pull my tow bar right off the hitch.. and ideas and does anyone use this type of setup.. thanks for any advice

pete

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I tend to think of my FJ as the Toads' more handsome cousin, the Frog! Ok, with that out of the way, is there any method of controling the amount of brake intesity on this unit. If so, turn it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a simple system that has a cable running from the tow bar so when the fj is being press against the tow bar a lever pulls the brake in the fj. i guess increasing the cable length would help with not so much braking prower. the instructions call for the cable to be tight enough just before the brakes lights come on.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Break assist is electrical right? If so, find the fuse and pull it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I thought most brake assists were electrical, but, in this case, it sounds like what is called a break assist, as opposed to a brake assist, is mechanical.
Perhaps a weak component in the braking system was actually broken as a result of using the break assist.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm confused. What exactly does the cable pull on? Is it connected to the emergency brake cable? Does it go through the floor and pull on the brake pedal? I can hardly believe there is no way, with instructions, to adjust this thing. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^agree.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Pete,

Can you update us on how this brake system has worked out? And any issues with the driveshaft disconnect?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no issues with the disconnect but i do power wash it every other oil change.. im not real happy with the brake assist had to do a lot of adjusting.. i dont think im getting that much braking from this system.. you get what you pay for i guess.. the only thing im counting on is the breakaway..

pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the system has a cable that goes through the firewall and pulls the brake pedal.. the tow bar has a lever and as weight is being pushed the lever pulls the brake and will assist with braking.. i guess it the same system as surge brakes.. but if you adjust as per the instructions when you go to do a panic stop the fj will brake on and off very violently.. the trick is to let out cable as to not have so much pedal travel while braking.. my opnion i would spend extra money on a better unit then on this one

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,777 Posts
It kind of sounds like maybe when you panic stop the brakes on the FJ come on, the ABS kicks in, and then maybe some slack and the brakes on the FJ are backed off a bit and then back on.......repeat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i stopped researching after i bought the readybreak system.. i tired irv.com and rv.net.com no one knew about that type of braking system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts