Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
In my opinion yes it would be easier to buy the whole complete axle assembly if you can find it. If I remember correctly it took over 20 tons to pop off the old bearing retainer. That press pressure was so great it dented my outer hub slightly and that affected the rotor from sliding over the hub. I had to grind it to remove the “press” flat spots. All in all, it was a pita. Not to mention the down time find a machine shop to do it. I called darn near every diff, trans, and machine shop in Southern California until I got lucky and found one old timer who could do it. He said the building shook when the retainer came off. Below are a couple pics of my bearings. Also don’t forget to replace the oring on the axle housing and check for rust like on mine. Water somehow got past the oring and into my bearing. - are you 100% sure you have oil in the bearing and not water? Last if you look at my first pic, the grease is white. If yours is still white you probably don’t have any contamination in the bearing. My contaminated bearing was ugly brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The issue with a complete axle bearing assembly is that it requires the brake backing plate in order to be assembled. That means that you have to remove the bearing on your axle to get to it or buy one from Toyota or maybe a junkyard. Then you have to ship that to whoever is assembling the new axle. I know East Coast Gear can do this because you can buy a completely assembled rear axle if you send them the backing plates. Whether they will do it for just 1 axle would have to be discussed with them. Even if they will do it the cost will be pretty steep. When I repaired my leaking seal I had 190K on the odometer so the bearing was getting replaced no matter what. I bought a Harbor Fright 20t press (it was on sale $180), brake pads/shoes, parking brake hardware kit, bearings, seals, O rings and gear oil for both sides and welded/machined the removal tool from scrap steel. Total cost for both sides was less than half of what Toyota wanted for 1 side. Plus I don't like to have anyone else work on my truck. Except for the stupid,stupid parking brake it's a very straight forward not very difficult repair. The cheepo press worked great. Videos and posts I watched that had been done at a shop that had a pressure gauge on the press said it took about 14 tons of force to pull the bearing so I figured 20t was enough overkill and it was on sale.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts