Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I go completely crazy, I thought I would ask for help here. I have a 2008 FJ that came with the standard radio. Everything I read says it has 6 speakers but I can only find 4...2 in the dash, 2 in the doors so where the heck are the other 2?

I just got a new radio for it and want to put in better speakers. I have read in some places that the wires are already run to the rear post speakers but then was told there aren't any wires. So...are there wires and are they active or do I need to run new wires for the rear post speakers that are not there?

And what size speakers go in the rear since there aren't any?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
some people don't like the headliner speakers because they won't part your hair

I found that they add a very nice fullness to the sound though.

What I did was put new speakers in the dash and doors, when I fitted a new head unit with more power, and I left the rears alone. The sound image is mostly in the front, and those headliner speakers are able to make the room feel larger. I had to shift the fader about 3 ticks to the rear, though, to hear it.

If your vehicle came with the wiring for it, then adding a sub woofer that helps, too. The handy thing about how Toyota did it was they simply took the woofer signal off of the speaker wires, filters it and amplifies with a dedicated amp in the rear.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,859 Posts
Yep the 6 speaker system is 2 in the dash, 2 in the door, and then the headliner speakers. The 8 speaker system is 2 in the dash, 2 in the door, they headliner speakers, and 2 in the rear pillars. The 9 speaker system is 2 in the dash, 2 in then door, the headliner speakers, 2 in the rear pillars, and they subwoofer. I've noticed the speakers in the headliner on some styles of music where I can pick out the filling sound of them and then at other times I can't tell that they were even there.

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Registered
981 Posts
Mine was the 6 speaker system and the wiring for the speakers in the rear pillars was already there. All you should need is the wiring harness (which Crutchfield will throw in for free if you order the speakers from them) and you should be set. Just be forewarned, you wont be able to hear the rear speakers that well from the front. I have 6.5 inch speakers in the back and I can barely hear them while sitting in the front. If you sit in the back, they are very loud :)

Adding speakers to the back really only benefits your passengers IMO.

Oh, and 3.5 inch speakers will fit in the rear pillars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in the headliner??? So, do you think I'm better off upgrading the front speakers in the dash and the doors and forget about putting in rear? What about components??

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,859 Posts
They aren't really speakers like you would think of normally. They are called exciters and they basically vibrate and use the whole roof area as a sort of speaker. There are two of them with one on each side and above the back seat area.

Here's what they look like.

Here's the general area they are in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I've been looking for a diagram like that to figure out where they are. So, maybe I will skip the D pillar and put in components in the front??

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,859 Posts
I'm not sure what to put in as a system or speakers myself. You might contact @ZoSoIV as he can give you some great help and advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just installed a Jensen VX7022 and it already sounds better but just need to upgrade the speakers.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Thanks. I've been looking for a diagram like that to figure out where they are. So, maybe I will skip the D pillar and put in components in the front??
Components (6-3/4 midbass in the doors and tweeters in the dash) are great but will run the budget up if you're ok with that via you would need a subwoofer and a good 3 channel amp like the JL XD 500/3v2... otherwise full range speakers( 6x9s in the doors and tweeters in the dash) you wouldn't necessarily need a sub or a amp ... you don't need rear speakers ... PM me for details

1 - 16 of 16 Posts