Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I have a 2008 FJ 4WD with 160K miles and the suspension is starting to feel a bit sloppy. I am looking at this kit- and comments or advice? Anything else need to be changed out at the same time?

Kit includes:

-2 Bilstein front shocks (6112's)

-2 Bilstein remote reservoir rear shocks (5160's)

-2 red front coil springs (1" taller than stock - LEVELS IT OUT)

-all hardware to put everything together and mount everything up.

· Registered
516 Posts
I did mine at 165k miles this is what I installed
- Bilstein 5100 on second notch (approx 1" lift)
- 1/4" spacer on driver side
- Replaced 1 frozen cam bolt
- Replace both lower control arms.

I would first check all four cam bolts if they are frozen. If they are frozen you possible need to cut out the lower control arms and install new cam bolts and lower control arms so it can be aligned. I use my FJ as my daily driver and no off road use.

I did not use spring compressor tool to replace the bilstein shocks, it was easy and safe by using the weight of the FJ to decompress the spring.

Here is a photo with the front bilstein and lower control arms installed.

Attachments

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Hello-

I have a 2008 FJ 4WD with 160K miles and the suspension is starting to feel a bit sloppy. I am looking at this kit- and comments or advice? Anything else need to be changed out at the same time?

Kit includes:

-2 red front coil springs (1" taller than stock - LEVELS IT OUT)

-all hardware to put everything together and mount everything up.

I just bought this setup and it arrived yesterday. I installed the rear shocks and went for a quick drive, before installing the front. VERY happy!

My FJ is an ‘07. A few months ago, I installed a lightly used set of Toyota Bilstein TT 5100 shocks from a 2014 TT all the way around, and was actually quite thrilled with the ride. At the time, it made me wonder why people upgrade this setup so soon.

Then the suspension that you posted above came up for sale, and somebody on the forum informed us about it with a post. I couldn’t pass it up, even though I recently installed shocks. I had to buy my kit on eBay because this deal isn’t available in Canada( that me or the Toyota dealer was aware of..one AWESOME forum member offered to get them for me and ship them to Canada, but I’d already bought them on eBay before reading the PM that she’s sent me..THANK-YOU again for your generous offer Deb!)

So like I said, I installed the rear yesterday afternoon. It was time to do the front end after supper and putting my daughter to bed because it was already close to 10pm.

I pulled everything apart on the passenger’s side only to find that my tophat was fused by rust to the spacer lift that was installed on my FJ by the previous owners. I couldn’t get them apart, which means I’d have to install them with spacers for now and order new tophats?..I installed the passenger’s side, going to do the driver’s side today. Tophats will be here Friday, and then I get to do it all over again??. At least I get more practice this way.

Buy that kit if you’re considering a suspension, especially in that price range! You will instantly feel and hear the difference from the stock setup.

Be aware the the front lower LCA shock mounts on our older FJs are about 2mm narrower than the metal bushings on the bottom shocks mounts, so you will either have to grind 2mm off the metal on the bushings, or slightly open the gap on the LCAs.

You may also want you also look at all the fasteners for the shocks, and make sure that they aren’t seized and are reusable. If not, then order the extra little bits you need before you start the install, so that you are able to complete the job in one shot.

For now my nose is riding high until my parts show up..good thing I don’t work today!

Here’s some pics for you:

By now it was 11:30 PM so I left the driver’s side for today.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
469 Posts
I am running 6112'S with the silver 650lb springs with Light Racing upper control arms, 5160'S in back. you will be very happy with these. one thing i will throw out there is i also am using Wheelers Offroad bump stops. very easy to change the front it mounts the same as the stock one and the rear comes with a new bracket.
i also used the Toytec sway bar relocate kit. the 2 1/2"body compared to the 5100's i took off made the sway bar was very close on my truck with the 6112'S looks like the 6112'S come with a boot now. mine did not have the boot.

JKFJ08

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the kit does not come with front upper coil spring mounts. The kit also does not come with upper bushings to the rear shocks. As to the modification to the lower control arm I really can not answer that other than to say the part number for the 2007 is the same for 2014. Any suggestions for proper spring mounts and bushings? Replace all of them? Control arms?

· Registered
307 Posts
Guys please, Does this shocks

work for LT Coils!

I am planning to buy it with 3in Coils for the front and the rear.

still searching for which coils to buy..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
472 Posts
Guys please, Does this shocks

work for LT Coils!

I am planning to buy it with 3in Coils for the front and the rear.

still searching for which coils to buy..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, the rear shocks are good for 2".

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.