Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have the dreaded P0016 code. :(
I pulled off the inspection plate for the timing chain tensioner and it looked like it was all the way extended. After reading the forums for a few days and watching a great youtube video from wells tech(?) I'm fairly certain I need to replace the timing chain.

Is there any recommendation on brand/place to buy?
I saw one on ebay for $150 from Mizumo Auto. Seems like they have good reviews.

Also does anyone have a guide for doing this? I'm pretty sure I can manage without a guide but I don't want to miss something important.

Going to clean out my garage this weekend to make room and make sure I have all the necessary tools. Things are still a mess from moving.

I think I need to get some air tools for xmas. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ouch. I haven't replaced mine yet as the CE light is controllable, just needs a few minutes of warmup in the morning to avoid the light. Looking forward to your writeup and results.

It's not the same year and model, but it has very good factory procedures and torque specs that appear to be the same as the 1GR-FE engine in FJ and 4Runners:

http:///www.customtacos.com/tech.old/files/05FSM/repair.html

I'm gathering parts for mine and just got a good deal on the gasket set including water pump, O-rings, etc on RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1434454&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2007 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4.0L V6
MAHLE ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ CS54462 Conversion / Lower Gasket Set
Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty $ 29.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 29.79

MAHLE ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ MS19554 Intake Plenum Gasket
Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty $ 5.23 $ 0.00 1 $ 5.23
Shipping Ground $ 8.99
Order Total $ 44.01

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this. I still need to find a good source to buy the kit.
I guess if no one else answers ill buy the one off of ebay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gaskets are inexpensive and if they leak you get to do that same thing all over again, so spend a little money up front for the good stuff. I own an old Porsche and look for the Victor Reinz products when I need gasket/kits. Pictures, pictures, pictures when you get to the tear down, please.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
you realize what you're getting into? via the intake,valve covers , timning chain cover , radiator (all the front end parts) the left front hub the front diff all have to come off...its about a $2500 dollar job for a shop ...buy the OEM Toyota timing chain and you will need a complete engine gasket kit

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
waypoint wrote:

"I'm gathering parts for mine and just got a good deal on the gasket set including water pump, O-rings, etc on RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclef...l=en&html=true

Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty $ 29.79"

Read the fine print: the cheap "wholesaler closeout" gasket sets are "old stock" or "old version" bought from parts dealers that went bankrupt or other "surplus" sources.

For the few dollars that you save, you are getting gaskets that may be years old, or a previous revision that has since been improved or upgraded. Given the complexity and labor content of a timing chain replacement on a 1GR-FE engine, I would never utilize anything but first-quality, brand-new, OEM or major name-brand gaskets, certainly not something that was discounted and specifically sold as "old stock" with only a 30 day warranty.

If you think you are going to get satisfactory results by purchasing the cheapest timing chains, chain guides, water pump and gaskets that you can find, your approach to this whole job is fundamentally flawed.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
X2 what Fjtest said above.
In this bypass surgery don’t compromise on parts. Always get “OEM” parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Read the fine print: the cheap "wholesaler closeout" gasket sets are "old stock" or "old version" bought from parts dealers that went bankrupt or other "surplus" sources.

For the few dollars that you save, you are getting gaskets that may be years old, or a previous revision that has since been improved or upgraded. Given the complexity and labor content of a timing chain replacement on a 1GR-FE engine, I would never utilize anything but first-quality, brand-new, OEM or major name-brand gaskets, certainly not something that was discounted and specifically sold as "old stock" with only a 30 day warranty.

If you think you are going to get satisfactory results by purchasing the cheapest timing chains, chain guides, water pump and gaskets that you can find, your approach to this whole job is fundamentally flawed.
Fully agreed on engine components such as the timing chains, guides, tensioners, etc. Only aftermarket exception would be IWIS if they made chains that fit this engine, but they don't currently and stated they're not planning to do so.

On the gaskets and seals, not sure what opinion you may have of Victor-Reinz but they fit the description of "major name-brand" unless you know something I don't. The sealed package is their current part # and date code appears to be 2015. I've seen old parts boxes w/ discoloration, crushed, bent, opened and resealed, etc. Not the case here or it would be going back for credit.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
(snip) On the gaskets and seals, not sure what opinion you may have of Victor-Reinz but they fit the description of "major name-brand" unless you know something I don't. The sealed package is their current part # and date code appears to be 2015. I've seen old parts boxes w/ discoloration, crushed, bent, opened and resealed, etc. Not the case here or it would be going back for credit.
Victor-Reinz produces quality gaskets and seals. I'm not familiar with the V-R date-coding scheme; if 2015 indicates a manufacturing date, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If it is an "expiration" date, then maybe slightly more concern.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Victor-Reinz produces quality gaskets and seals. I'm not familiar with the V-R date-coding scheme; if 2015 indicates a manufacturing date, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If it is an "expiration" date, then maybe slightly more concern.
On the subject of timing chains, Toyota publishes two part#s for the main chain:

13506-31010 is the original part number;
13506-AD010 is the superseding part number.

I've inquired via Toyota's customer service page on whether the new part# is a revised/improved design, but no detail...just that it's the current part number. I'm hoping this new one is an improvement. Either way, that's what will be going in next Spring along with Toyota replacements for the guides, tensioners, mini chains, etc.

It would be terrific if IWIS would build a main chain given their reputation in the racing community, but they won't even entertain an inquiry as to the order quantity needed to make a manufacturing run. And there are no parts in their catalog with the 1GR-FE's 174 link length that might interchange.

For the original poster, here's the Toyota parts list I've assembled thus far (minus tensioners as yet):

13506-AD010 Chain $187.22
13521-AD010 Crank Sprocket $20.91
13523-AD010 Exhaust Cam Gear $24.76 (x2?)
13507-AD010 Secondary Chain $55.60 (x2?)
13559-AD010 Chain Guide Right Lower $27.16
13562-AD010 Chain Guide Upper $16.19 (*2?)
13561-AD010 Chain Guide Left $66.95
13530-0P011 Idler Gear $16.99

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same question
Also, oil change history and brand & viscosity used. Long timing chains used in these overhead cam V engines don't seem to live long under certain conditions. Nissan, GM, Ford, etc. all seem to develop chain elongation for some owners. In my engine's case, the original owner was changing oil at ~22K mile average intervals and all 3 chains took the hit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a slight oil leak on my timing chain cover and am looking for a quality timing chain kit to install when I reseal the timing cover.

I was going to use OEM gaskets, but does anyone have a recommendation for a quality timing chain kit? 3 tensioners, guides, 3 chains and all sprockets, etc.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I have a slight oil leak on my timing chain cover and am looking for a quality timing chain kit to install when I reseal the timing cover.

I was going to use OEM gaskets, but does anyone have a recommendation for a quality timing chain kit? 3 tensioners, guides, 3 chains and all sprockets, etc.
don't worry about it lots of people have the same leak just clean it off now and then otherwise its about a $2500 dollar repair via everything has to come off to get to it

·
Registered
239 Posts
don't worry about it lots of people have the same leak just clean it off now and then otherwise its about a $2500 dollar repair via everything has to come off to get to it
I have been cleaning it, but I don't like oil leaks. I am going to do the labor and repair the timing chain cover leak, so I was looking for a quality timing chain kit, that included everything. I know that OEM is a safe bet, but I would like to know who sources Toyota's timing chain parts. I am not sure if the leak is caused by insufficient sealant or a 'dip' in the timing cover itself. A Wells mechanic tears the timing chain and parts down within 3 hours, in this video and uses a timing chain kit that doesn't look OEM.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
For the FJ it calls for 22 hours labor or so you can’t go by this video everything has to come off valve covers intake all the front end parts radiator etc left wheel hub front differential etc , yeah get the oem chain

·
Registered
111 Posts
The kid in the Wells video is no mechanic. Screwed up the main tensioner when he broke the plastic lockpin off in the hole. Not a catastrophic goof, but will make removal and installation harder for some poor guy later.

The video also skips several key steps during the reassembly process. It's a nice overview but not a substitute for the service manual. And the manufacturer & quality of the replacement parts he used are unknown.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had the P0016 code for over a year.
Sometimes the engine and other waring lights would stay off for weeks. But now they are continuously on, currently at 134,000 KMS year 2007. Oil changes every 6000-8000 kms with synthetic.
Just had a Full diagnostic, Indeed I need a timing chain kit, with the quote total price of $5000 Canadian.

Thinking about doing it myself after watching the videos of the Tacoma timing chain. I've worked on motorbikes and a classic mini not not a “V” engine.

Go OEM parts or aftermarket?
It’s not like the OEM are particularly quality since we’re having to replace the change?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts