Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Summit is coming close! I am pumped to go! One thing I am not pumped about though, are these insane gas prices. Is anyone else that has a long road trip ahead of them second guessing going to the summit? I know I am kind of teetering if I will go or not. It depends on how insane gas prices want to get in the next couple months. HOPEfully this year will follow most other years, and gas will peak at memorial day, and then start to fall.

I'm feeling the pinch I guess lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm having a brain fart... How can I estimate the amount of gas it will take to get to Ouray for me? There should be a formula, but I'm having a hard time finalizing it.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
I'm having a brain fart... How can I estimate the amount of gas it will take to get to Ouray for me? There should be a formula, but I'm having a hard time finalizing it.

Thanks!

miles from you to Ouray / MPG = approx gas needed

so for us

Houston TX to Ouray CO = 1181.57 miles
We get 18 MPG

1182 / 18 = 66 gallons of fuel

66 * 4.00(per gallon) = $263 (one way)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
CRAW,

Try this:

Use GoogleMaps to plan your trip. Click on "get directions". When you enter your zipcode and the zipcode (81247) for Ouray, it will give you the total distance between the two places.

Divide that number by your gas mileage.

Multiply that number by the cost of gasoline per gallon.

The result is the cost for fuel (one way). Multiply by 2 to get the total cost for the trip both ways.

EXAMPLE: 904 miles divided by 19 MPG = 47.6 gallons of gas
47.6 gallons x $3.50 = $166.52 cost of gas to Ouray from my home
$166.52 x 2 = $333.05 cost of gas to and from Ouray

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
miles from you to Ouray / MPG = approx gas needed

so for us

Houston TX to Ouray CO = 1181.57 miles
We get 18 MPG

1182 / 18 = 66 gallons of fuel

66 * 4.00(per gallon) = $263 (one way)
I did do it right then... Thanks CaliChaos. I figured 16 mpg (get 18 mpg here now) as there will be luggage and what not in the back of the FJ and might effect the gas mileage. I'm @ $250 one way. :(

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
CRAW,

Try this:

Use GoogleMaps to plan your trip. Click on "get directions". When you enter your zipcode and the zipcode (81247) for Ouray, it will give you the total distance between the two places.

Divide that number by your gas mileage.

Multiply that number by the cost of gasoline per gallon.

The result is the cost for fuel (one way). Multiply by 2 to get the total cost for the trip both ways.

EXAMPLE: 904 miles divided by 19 MPG = 47.6 gallons of gas
47.6 gallons x $3.50 = $166.52 cost of gas to Ouray from my home
$116.52 x 2 = $333.05 cost of gas to and from Ouray
Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Craw, we figured on around $600-$800 for gas from Des Moines. That includes mileage for other sightseeing and the decrease in gas mileage due to the trailer we will be pulling.

No way would I back out of the summit! It is our family vacation this year. We will save money in other areas like bringing more food from home, eat at cheaper places on the trip, etc.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Cost me about $800 in fuel last summer in my 05 Rubicon.. I figure I'll be 20% better in the Fj.. Ron

The Summit is coming close! I am pumped to go! One thing I am not pumped about though, are these insane gas prices. Is anyone else that has a long road trip ahead of them second guessing going to the summit? I know I am kind of teetering if I will go or not. It depends on how insane gas prices want to get in the next couple months. HOPEfully this year will follow most other years, and gas will peak at memorial day, and then start to fall.

I'm feeling the pinch I guess lol

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I look at it with realistic mileage. Bogged down with weight, and drag, im going to assume 15-16... maybe 17 mpg highway.

871 miles from my house, to Ouray city hall.

so at 16 mpg, it will be 54.43 gallons of gas.

And at a realistic price since they are not falling, i'm going to say $4.25 for 89.

So that's only $462 there and back with NO extra driving. I know i will be driving a hell of a lot more than that, Therefor i have an even grand set aside for Ouray.

BBBUUTTTTT, to answer your question..

Yes, i am still 50/50 on going. I am cleared from work, but, FOR MY INCOME, That is a massive, massive chunk of change!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Gas for me will be a little over $900 total for this trip including off-roading. But I used 14mpg to over estimate my needs I also used $5 a gallon but it shouldn't be that high. I hope I will get much better then that when on the hwy and that gas will be cheaper then 5 a gallon.

D/M*G=C

D=distance
/= divide
M=MPG
*=times
G=coast of gas per gallons
C=cost of gas for trip

2522mile / 14mpg * 5.00 = $900.71

1 - 15 of 15 Posts