Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2008 Team Trail special edition FJ's have the TRD quick shifter in the "trail team" option package? From what I have read it does not. I have found articles mentioning the 2007 special edition TRD included the TRD quick shifter. I am assuming 2007 TRD has the quick shifter and the 2008 Trail Team edition does not. Can anyone confirm?

Here is an article I found on the 2007....

"Inside, the package includes seat-mounted side airbags and side curtains; a multi-informational display with compass, inclinometer and temp gauge; six-disc CD changer; all-weather cargo mats and a quick shifter on manual-transmission models."
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116996

Thanks

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
There should be a should be a short throw shifter though, since it's a SE. You should know if you have one cuz you'll feel the difference. If you don't you should just get one from TRD. :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the posts. I just picked up my 08 Team Trail and feel like a giddy school girl. Such a sweet ride.

I confirmed with a buddy his '07 SE TRD came with the quick shifter (it was in the TRD package). I need to drive his and see how big of a difference there really is.

I've read through the posts on this site and think a quick shifter is in the near future. URD or TRD......it's a toss up. Everyone seems to like both and I haven't seen a negative post yet. URD seems like the best option as it is ~$150 cheaper.

I won't ask for recomendations on the quick shifters........I know how to use "search" on the forum :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
i always see short shifters with the really short ball knobs, am i right in thinking that the length of the stick shift has nothing to do with the throw? for the most part

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I think that is right. Like I said, I have the URD and if I remember, It used the same stick... just changes up the linkage to provide shorter throws somehow. I'd just call URD or TRD for specs on their short shifters. Some, myself included, like to throw weighted knobs on too. They actually really make a diff in the feel of your shifts. The ball acts as a counterweight and does a lot of the work for you. Only problem i've encountered is when on really rough washboard roads at below 30mph. The stick can bounce around so violently from all the bouncing around that it might throw itself out of gear. It hasn't happened to me yet, and the remedy is simple. keep your hand on the knob during the rough stuff. It is usually on there anyhow as that is just my driving style. Thats my experience for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I personally went TRD to keep as much OEM as possible.
I just didn't want to hear any warranty issues if my tranny gets in trouble.
AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING THEY WILL GIVE YOU ANY, I JUST DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT IF I HAD TOO BRING IT IN.
There where some issue getting into reverse with the other brand.
Sometime I have to get my Fj valet parked so this was a concern for me.
My TRD has ZERO issue. The mod took 15 minutes to do with basic sockets. Hardest part was taking the console apart.

TRD kit comes with spacer and new stick.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The people with difficulty getting into reverse using the URD short shifter have it improperly installed. The ball isn't seated properly. I had the same problem initially because I had the dealer shop do the install. It was so hard to get into reverse, I had to use two hands to get it in gear. I called URD and they explained the problem. When installed properly, you will have NO issues with the URD shifter. I understand your concerns about using aftermarket parts, but it isn't an issue for me. At this point I've got so many mods on my rig, the shifter is the least of my warranty concerns. Also, I will never take my rig to the dealer for ANYTHING other than a recall. Even then, I may just get the parts and do it myself or have a competant shop do the work if possible. Every dealer in my area has TERRIBLE service departments. I learned that the hard way and it cost me thousands to repair the damage they caused. If I do have to take it to the dealer, I now have to drive 45 minutes out of town to take it to a dealer with a decent service department.

The TRD and URD shifters are both great upgrades for the manual. Enjoy those short, crisp shifts!

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
With the TRD can you reuse the stock shift knob? Not a fan of the TRD ball that comes with it.
The TRD Ball knob is not included in the TRD Quick Shift kit. The stock knob fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
That depends on where you order from some places combine the two and give you a better price. AAAAHHHHH the internet.:)
Folks shop around.
I got mine with the grey (Tacoma) knob and it was cheaper than some vendors offering without it.
I then sold the knob to further reduce my cost for the kit.

But I then spend more $$ to get the black TRD SE knobs set.

You can keep the grey knob but your will you have to find a vendor (one of our supporting vendor here Iron Mountain Performance - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum ) to get a matching transfer case knob since the Tacoma grey one only comes in a tranny knob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts