Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am currently in the market for an FJ and I have found a couple of really good options. One of them is a 2008 with 40k miles for $23,000. The other one I am considering is a 2011 with 100k for $20,000. I originally only wanted a 2010 and above model, but the low mileage on the 2008 is really eye catching. If any one has any advice for a newbie I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
For me, the decision came down to oil changes. The 2010+ relocated the filter to the bottom. Which means, every 5000 miles, the skid plate would have to be removed to get to the filter. I'd take the '08. Practically new (low mileage).

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure where you are located or what you plan to do with it. I’d be looking for 4wd and a rear locker. Good points about rust and oil filter location already mentioned.

(I’ve had an 07 and a 14. Loved oil changes on the 07. Not so much on the 14.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input! I’ll keep an eye out for rust and maintenance history. I work as a geologist so I definitely need 4WD. I’ll be using the vehicle for field work and camping on the weekends.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Most of the rubber parts don't care about mileage, just age. $23k is too much for a 12 year old vehicle that is going to need some maintenance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am currently in the market for an FJ and I have found a couple of really good options. One of them is a 2008 with 40k miles for $23,000. The other one I am considering is a 2011 with 100k for $20,000. I originally only wanted a 2010 and above model, but the low mileage on the 2008 is really eye catching. If any one has any advice for a newbie I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!!
All other things being equal, buy the 2008. If for no other reason than for the ease of oil changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an ’08 with just under 30k miles—no complaints. Had a ‘13 prior to current. Either vehicle will show age in the form of rubber and plastic components. Underbody is where you will likely see things to make the best decision. Check the lower window trim pieces (door belt moldings) on both vehicles and that will give you a good idea UV exposure on either vehicle—The one that looks like it needs replaced will have lived outside most of its life. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very good advice from Bluestar. Look at both. If they are both well taken care of it is likely that neither would be a bad choice. This does not take price into account. If price is not the difference then choose the color/options you like the most or hold out for the exact one you want. Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you haven't already purchased, decide upon the paint color you really like. As mentioned above, review owner maintenance, rust condition underneath car, accident history. 40k on a 2008 is cool but look at how many previous owners and accident history. 2011 with 100k is relatively low mileage but scrutinize the number of owners, origin of vehicle (snow belt vs. dry climate).

If nothing else and all things equal, pick your favorite color.

If you've already made decision and purchase, kindly send photos of your new FJ.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,656 Posts

The most complete guide we have available and Jimmy keeps it updated. Personally the 2008 if it’s mechanically sound in my opinion with the low miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks!!
I have a 2008 and picked it up 2.5 years ago at 47k miles; one thing is, it didn't come with a locker; I wish it did, but can always go the air locker route one day. I guess one thing to look out for in the earlier models is the known to be weak rear diff. My FJ has been reliable without any issues as of yet after 3 trips cross country and very mild off road fun. Only annoying issue is the driveline bump every now and then. It's all about maintenance and maintenance history. I suggest that you service the vehicle ie oil change, spark plugs, transmission flush, zerk fittings, gear oil change, coolant, brake fluid, power steering, etc for whichever FJ you choose.

The newer FJs have more hp and a stronger rear diff, but usually pricier. When I was searching 2 years ago, decent mileage ones were around the high $20k to mid $30k ballpark, which I couldn't justify for myself at least in my situation because it was technically in the slightly used 5th gen 4runner price range. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts