Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was recently in a fender bender with my 2009 BW FJ. Despite the seeming lack of damage the frame was creased in two places and actually had to be completely replaced. Thank God the factory still makes them. The good news for everybody is that my 2009 has only depreciated $1650 in 7+ years with 83,000 miles! They hold their value so well my insurance company bought off on the frame replacement. Thinking this was a great opportunity to add a brush guard and start the transition to a more off-road oriented aggressive look.

I’m a noob to this forum so if there is a thread covering this specific subject please send me a link and I’ll go there.

Well, I go exactly what I asked for, however as you can see it is far from complete. I got the brush guard and not much else. I share the blame, as I believed the lower grill and some sort of tie in to the skid plate would be included. Everything from the headlights and Toyota branded grill down insert is missing. The OEM bumper and trim work above down to the skid plate is gone. Not that I wanted to replace them anyway.

I'm on a budget but need to button up the lower front end on a budget. I know this is pretty vague but it's all I have. I’m not that savvy as I’ve kept it stock up until this point Any recommendations on necessary parts and sourcing would be very much appreciated as well as your reasoning for selecting the parts you did. I'm not looking to replace the OEM lower bumper with those ugly silver end caps. Worst case is to buy the total blackout kit for about a grand. However my original intent was to replace plastic with metal and black out the front end.

Any links to similar projects with specific parts would be a huge help. Assuming that everything is back in alignment (I won’t accept anything but) I have the tools, lift, and basic mechanical skills to bolt on parts is well within my abilities.

Thanks!

TjG

Attachments

· Registered
715 Posts
Can't really tell from the picture, is that just a regular brush guard bolted on too low? Is it some sort of poor attempt to a tube bumper? A brush guard is just a paper weight hanging off the front of your car. Will not help in case of a collision except for increasing the damage to the hood of your car. Just take what you have off, buy an after market bumper to bolt on to the frame, and depending on what bumper you go with there are many options to tie it into the skid plates. Nothing that I am aware of other than custom work exists to button up your front bumper the way it sits now. Either keep the paper weight upfront with an OEM bumper or get an after market bumper. The insurance check you got should be more than enough to get a nice after market bumper.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.