Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 12 years of FJ Cruiser ownership, I'm finally sick of the FJammer radio. All this time, I thought the FJ used a standard double din radio. I just found out that the aperture in the factory FJ radio bezel is 200mm wide so spacers are required to fill gaps when an aftermarket double din touch screen head unit is used. Anyone have any experience with the 200mm head units that are available to the rest of the world besides the USA ?

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here are some photos of a head unit out of a 2020 FJ. The person who put them up was banned so take it with a bit of skepticism. They said no brand markings on it but a model # in the manual of PZ360-00923. I tried to research it and even used UAE Google. Got one or two photos and some references to Lexus models which makes sense. Never found any price references or a way to order it. I will bec replacing mine hopefully this Spring and would love any help from our forum brethren finding this one if it is compatible with U.S. models.
Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
This Kenwood is 200mm but comes for RHD only (buttons on right side of radio). Shouldn't matter if you have steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and photos. I ran across this model lavh-zl5150bt Pioneer on the Australian Pioneer website. It has buttons on the left side of the radio. It also plays zone 1 DVDs where as the Kenwood model only plays zone 3 . I would probably buy the Australian Pioneer but it is lacking in some features compared to some similar USA versions. I like to listen to FM radio and evidently HD Radio is a US thing because none of the overseas versions have HD Radio. It also appears none integrate with the idatalink/Maestro . I'm looking at the AVH-2550NEX that seems to check all the boxes. Just wish it had the 200mm face width.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This Kenwood is 200mm but comes for RHD only (buttons on right side of radio). Shouldn't matter if you have steering wheel controls.

I bought one, got it few days ago. Still not installed.
Wireless Apple CarPlay. 👌
00238304-6CDD-43FA-9983-CB8E290285CD.jpeg

DVD is Region4, so useless here in Europe. But it doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, the Joying unit with knobs looks interesting. It says it has wired/wireless Apple CarPlay. It doesn’t play any kind of discs or FLAC files and since it’s not intended for US market doesn’t have HD Radio. I’d be curious to see how well it actually interacts with an iPhone. I’ve seen the Chinese Android radios on eBay for years and been intrigued but since I’m exclusively an Apple user never considered these head units as an option. I would assume it would be easy enough to paint the silver radio panel any oem color you want. I guess my only concerns would be if this FJ specific combo really is all it’s advertised to be and if it would still be working after 6 months or a year of use in the Texas heat. Anyone out there with experience using one of these Chinese radios in a FJ or any other application ? The price is reasonable enough. Almost tempted to roll the dice and try one.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Do any of the radios you guys are talking about come with a backup camera ? My 07 Fjammer is pretty much crap and I want to upgrade. I want to install a backup camera this time around. My wifes 2018 Subaru crosstrek has a real cool backup camera I would like to get something similar :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None of these head units typically come directly from the manufacturer with a backup camera. You might see retailers like Crutchfield or Sonic Electronics offer a head unit/backup camera bundle. I see it on eBay and Amazon too.

Virtually all decent/modern Double DIN touch screen head units have inputs for running at least one camera. Simple as running the wires and plugging the camera into the head unit. Camera is usually activated by a wire that taps into the backup light circuit so when you hit reverse, the image pops up on the screen. I have a Pioneer AVH-1440NEX plus back camera on my 92 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4. This is how the whole quest for a unit to update the FJammer started. Every time I drive the FJ, I really miss the features of the Pioneer unit in my truck.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
None of these head units typically come directly from the manufacturer with a backup camera. You might see retailers like Crutchfield or Sonic Electronics offer a head unit/backup camera bundle. I see it on eBay and Amazon too.

Virtually all decent/modern Double DIN touch screen head units have inputs for running at least one camera. Simple as running the wires and plugging the camera into the head unit. Camera is usually activated by a wire that taps into the backup light circuit so when you hit reverse, the image pops up on the screen. I have a Pioneer AVH-1440NEX plus back camera on my 92 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4. This is how the whole quest for a unit to update the FJammer started. Every time I drive the FJ, I really miss the features of the Pioneer unit in my truck.
Thanks for all the info. I`m going to start researching back up cameras, new head unit :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just came across this thread, and I'm wanting to blow some extra dough I've saved on a new head unit, but like the OP said, I didn't know a normal double DIN wouldn't fit without spacers. And, I also know very little about installing car audio. Are these spacers really that big of an issue, or is it subjective? I did a Google search to see if I could see what these spacers look like, but I didn't have any luck.

Do any of you have any pictures comparing a 200mm unit w/ one that uses spacers? Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I gave up on the idea of using a non US market Pioneer or Kenwood 200mm head unit. Too expensive and less features than models for the US market. I can live with the spacers on the sides. Any kind of warranty claim on the non US head units would also be very difficult.

I chose the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. 2 din touch screen, Apple Carplay, DVD/CD, HD Radio, Idatalink Maestro compatible. I purchased it online from an authorized Pioneer internet dealer called Drive-In Autosound in Colorado. New unopened box with full US Warranty for $295. They offer a 5% discount to new customers so the out the door price with free shipping was $280.25 and free ground shipping. Shipped same day I ordered it. They also threw in a free license plate mount backup camera. I couldn't find any other legit Pioneer dealers that could even come close to this low price. I usually buy from Crutchfield but their price was $445. Difficult for me to look past the price difference of $164.75 regardless of how much free/cheap installation parts they give you.

I can't afford to buy everything I want at one time right now so I will sit on the head unit for a couple of weeks. I intend to buy speakers, amp, Idatalink Maestro and sub enclosure over the next few weeks and take advantage of any deals I run across. It's not cheap to replace the stock system and do a really good job. I don't like regrets when I do a project so I'm trying not to cut any corners. I'll probably end up spending $1200-1400 on components. This all started because I wanted modern integration between my FJ audio system and my iPhone. Convenience doesn't come cheap. Heck, I have better connectivity in my 1992 Toyota 4x4 Pickup. Thank goodness I don't have to pay someone to do the install. I will report back and post some photos when I get everything installed and sorted out.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
29 Posts
I have installed about 14 months a Pioneer Nex 1440ex and update front rear spikers with tweeters and doors with hi quality sound Pioneer speakers.Top roofing speakers and bass box steel original. Want to change subwoofer on bass box but run on to many problems and low buget consider i have other mandatory brakes and control arms to replace. I'm amazed what junk Toyota have. Know my FJ sounds better than any stock manufacturer cars.My 2015 Lexus Es 350 don't come close to Fj.All start when my rear backup sensors don't work. Today I have all updated and android phone and Spotify on Fj rock.Plus rear backup camera and DVD player.On presets I think this head unit have options to select driver side.
In my opinion this head unit Pioneer Nex 1440ex it's one of the best unit up there. On 80" I was listening muzic on few Akai real to real and my ears don't listen muzic on normal cd player with frequency 20-20000Hz.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Pioneer AVH/NEX decks are great for the buck. I remember when decks with as many features were upwards of $800.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I didn't know a normal double DIN wouldn't fit without spacers. And, I also know very little about installing car audio. Are these spacers really that big of an issue, or is it subjective?
It's normal to have bezels or some kind of kit to fit an aftermarket radio. It's not big deal at all. They are just pieces of plastic that bolt to the OEM radio bracket.

Metra is a popular (I don't know why) bezel kit, but it is craptacular and would stay away from them. FYI, I have 2 sets that I am giving away for free (just pay shipping), but again they suck ass!!!! Why??, because you buy a Metra kit only to modify them to fit your application. Last I checked, I don't work for Metra. I paid money, I should get a product that works. Yet, they think I work for them and I pay them for the opportunity to create their product (sarcasm). Sorry for the rant. /end

I use OEM radio bezels from the Subaru BRZ. I'll take photos later today.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's normal to have bezels or some kind of kit to fit an aftermarket radio. It's not big deal at all. They are just pieces of plastic that bolt to the OEM radio bracket.

Metra is a popular (I don't know why) bezel kit, but it is craptacular and would stay away from them. FYI, I have 2 sets that I am giving away for free (just pay shipping), but again they suck ass!!!! Why??, because you buy a Metra kit only to modify them to fit your application. Last I checked, I don't work for Metra. I paid money, I should get a product that works. Yet, they think I work for them and I pay them for the opportunity to create their product (sarcasm). Sorry for the rant. /end

I use OEM radio bezels from the Subaru BRZ. I'll take photos later today.
[/QUOTE

So are you referring to the Subaru end spacers that are available in the Japanese market? I have seen these on eBay. Pretty pricy if I remember right. Something like $55 a pair? It would be great if you could post some shots of what your are talking about and where you buy them.

Thanks,
Bibbt

·
Registered
65 Posts
Scosche also makes a kit, slightly nicer than the Metra kit but still the same issue of spacers on the sides. At best you could paint it to match the trim of whatever radio you were installing. But honestly I’m in the same boat you are. After over a decade in the car audio industry myself, I personally hate the look of most install kits. Especially when the choices are spacers or pockets as they are in this case. At the same time I wouldn’t personally run an off brand stereo either. Alpine or the old Eclipse radios (eclipse isn’t really around anymore, definitely not what it used to be) would be my preference. However, Alpine doesn’t make a 200mm radio. Kenwood and Pioneer do, just not for the US market, nor will they. So you’re left with knowing a few things won’t work. I contacted Pioneer just before leaving to pick up my new to me FJ. And unfortunately according to them the advertising on eBay of region 1 dvd is incorrect. I’ve also been talking to Kenwood USA and I’m waiting to hear back once they gather more information from their other market. But the general thinking is that obviously DVD’s won’t work. Or HD radio, but everything else should. The FM/AM bands are what I’m trying to have them confirm. I was hoping someone had already tried it on here in the US, but I haven’t seen that yet. As for DVD’s not working, how often is anyone really expecting to play a dvd on their stereo. If you have rear headrest displays for kids, yes absolutely. But for the average user it’s just not going to be used. In addition to that, everything’s blu ray, 4k BD or digital now. And you should be able to play a digital movie just fine. So the only loss I currently see is the lack of HD radio. While not widely popular, it is a nice feature to have. I’ll wait to see what Kenwood says, but most likely I’ll wait a couple months and buy the 2020 version of the Kenwood for myself.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts