Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
So this ^^^ is what I would see if I didn't buy a 200 mm head unit? I'm sure those in the custom car audio field couldn't stand that look, but I don't think it's all that bad.

Something I don't understand though, and I can post in a new thread if wanted, but why would you want a DVD player in your head unit? For movies? Movies for the passengers? That doesn't appeal to me. So would I want what they're calling mechless head unit? I'm looking at the Alpines... but IDK much about what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So this ^^^ is what I would see if I didn't buy a 200 mm head unit? I'm sure those in the custom car audio field couldn't stand that look, but I don't think it's all that bad.

Something I don't understand though, and I can post in a new thread if wanted, but why would you want a DVD player in your head unit? For movies? Movies for the passengers? That doesn't appeal to me. So would I want what they're calling mechless head unit? I'm looking at the Alpines... but IDK much about what I'm looking for.

I still play some CD music discs in my vehicles so this feature is important to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@CRAW Yes, that’s all you would see. Most people don’t mind, but if you can get a quality stereo that fits without an adapter and works in the US it’s a nice plus. That’s what the OP is looking for, or inquiring about, myself as well. As for your question about DVD’s in dash, you basically answered that yourself. They were designed for rear seat monitoring, or for front while the vehicle was in park. If that doesn’t interest you than you don’t have to worry about that feature. A region locked dvd player “like most 200mm units are” will still play CD’s or rewritable CD-R/W though. Most will even play DVD-R as they’re region free. It’s DVD movies that you purchase that won’t play, as they’ve been coded for certain regions to play in. This was something set up years ago to protect the release and sales of content across markets. As in some markets the price is less or more than others, and some content releases earlier or later than others, it may even be edited differently in certain regions. That’s all region locking is.
As for Alpine it’s a great company (most would argue the best for headunits, myself included) and they have lots of stereos that would be a great choice. All would require a spacer if some type on the FJ of course. If you’re not worried about having any type of hard format player, CD, DVD or BD you could simple get one of their multimedia players without a drive. As that will allow you to do anything but hard formatted content. You’ll still have all your apps, and digital content which is most of what everyone uses today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a question about the international units that don’t play cd, dvd. I don’t use those features and so that’s not a detractor for me. What I do care about is satellite radio. Do these units come with the capability to play Sirius or xm satellite radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a question about the international units that don’t play cd, dvd. I don’t use those features and so that’s not a detractor for me. What I do care about is satellite radio. Do these units come with the capability to play Sirius or xm satellite radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just looked at the specs on the Australian Pioneer website for the Pioneer 200mm head unit. There is no mention of compatibility with a satellite radio radio module. I also looked at the PDF instructions and it does not show a connection for it on the rear of the head unit. Not sure about the Kenwood unit. I will research it and post what I find.

Bibbt in San Antonio

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed, neither the Pioneer or Kenwood have built in SiriusXM. It’s rather unfortunate, but SiriusXM is currently only offered in North America. SiriusXM has a phone app though, which “should” (might, lol) allow it to play it through either unit. As both support the use of apps. You’d have to confirm that with the manufacturer though.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Here's a photo I took today of the Subaru BRZ side bezel. It isn't on the FJ, but will give you an idea on how it looks. I have the same radio and bezel on the FJ, but it's in hibernation anytime salt is on the ground. I'll take photo installed on the FJ soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@iLuveKetchup Yeah that gloss finish blends a lot better with the stereo as compared to the textured semi flat black Metra and Scosche use. Is that a Toyota trim panel, or Saburu part? I know the 86 and BRZ are a joint project, I’ve just not seen that trim piece. Did you have a model number by chance?

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This unit looks pretty good and there is a good FJ install review in the reviews section. Only wish it had a disc player to as for some reason I still really like CD’s... hahaha 🤣
Yeah, I saw this unit when I was searching for head units. Its great if you use Android devices and don't have interest in playing CD or DVDs. Really good reviews on Amazon and ships from a US warehouse. Ultimately, I purchased the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX as it had every feature I wanted. HD Radio, Apple Car Play, plays CD and DVD, iDatalink Maestro interface etc. Glad unit from a major manufacturer was also important to me too. I'll just live with the side spacers.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I saw this unit when I was searching for head units. Its great if you use Android devices and don't have interest in playing CD or DVDs. Really good reviews on Amazon and ships from a US warehouse. Ultimately, I purchased the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX as it had every feature I wanted. HD Radio, Apple Car Play, plays CD and DVD, iDatalink Maestro interface etc. Glad unit from a major manufacturer was also important to me too. I'll just live with the side spacers.

Bibb in San Antonio
So everything else still functions correctly with this one? It seems like some are experiencing different issues, but don’t remember which units they were using.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you given any consideration to other Toyota (or Scion) radios so you keep the "factory" look? I've tried three different ones in mine and have settled on this one from the Toyota 86 (same as Scion FRS). The p/n is PT546-00170 (-00160 for the Scion model) and it drops right in and works with your steering wheel controls and bluetooth mic in the mirror. You'll need a couple factory hardness adapters but they're relatively inexpensive. Here's a link to a blog with a great write-up on a similar model but the harness parts are all the same The Ultimate Scion Head Unit: 2003 Toyota 4Runner - The Track Ahead

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Have you given any consideration to other Toyota (or Scion) radios so you keep the "factory" look? I've tried three different ones in mine and have settled on this one from the Toyota 86 (same as Scion FRS). The p/n is PT546-00170 (-00160 for the Scion model) and it drops right in and works with your steering wheel controls and bluetooth mic in the mirror. You'll need a couple factory hardness adapters but they're relatively inexpensive. Here's a link to a blog with a great write-up on a similar model but the harness parts are all the same The Ultimate Scion Head Unit: 2003 Toyota 4Runner - The Track Ahead

View attachment 1123146
I finally got over the aesthetics issue. I did consider those factory Toyota/Scion 200mm options. There were definitely some nice features like the good old fashioned volume knob, Bluetooth, Nav options and obviously the OEM aesthetics and fit. Amazing how similar these Pioneer/Toyota OEM touch units are to Pioneers aftermarket touch screen radios. The look of the display and architecture of the menus etc. is real close. These darn things can be had for almost free in many instances too. It became apparent after all my research that if I really wanted to upgrade to modern connectivity and significantly better sound quality it was going to take installing an aftermarket Double Din touch screen head unit.

In my earlier posts to this thread, I mentioned finally choosing a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. I installed it about a month ago and I'm really happy with it. Aesthetics look better than expected. It sounds better even with the crappy factory speakers. I still like to play music on CD and wanted HD Radio, Maestro interface, Apple CarPlay, preamp outs etc. etc. This specific menu just wasn't gonna happen with an OEM head unit short of installing a head unit out of a 2020 f86 model and it still lacked features I wanted. Glad I went the aftermarket route. The car audio savvy guys on this forum were right when they told me to go aftermarket.

Very shortly, I'm gonna upgrade all my speakers, wiring and add a 5 channel amp. Probably add some sound dampening in the doors while I'm at it too. It's a lot of work but I plan on keeping the FJ till it won't go anymore so it will be worth it. I've been collecting all the components for the last month and watching for sales/deals to help keep the cost down.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear you settled on something you like. Yeah no arguments here on sound quality etc when going aftermarket. I used to really be into hyped up stereo systems back in the day, but the FJ is my weekend toy so when I'm driving its usually on the trails and I don't use the radio much, and definitely don't need something that's boomin in the mall parking lot any more.... I just needed something simple to use, reliable and a little more modern than the dumb FJammer.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts