Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the Diffrence in the 2010 FJ Cruiser that says 10K for oil change and previous years FJ Cruiser that require a oil change at 5K.
where is the reasoning?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 2010+ FJ's run a different motor than the 07-09's. If you look at the different engine compartments you'll see a lot of differences (i.e. filter location, intake location, etc.). When the 2010's came out they still recommended the 5k OCI and then sent letters out to change it to 10k.

There are a number of threads on this subject, as well as used oil breakdown analysis.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2010 runs synthetic. Synthetic last and protects longer.
so does that mean I can run synthetic oil like RP or Amsoil and change every 10K and still be under warranty?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
so does that mean I can run synthetic oil like RP or Amsoil and change every 10K and still be under warranty?
Well that depends, do you have an 07-09 or a 10+? The new engine in the 10+ is what allows it have an official 10k OCI. The 07-09 are still officially 5k miles, even with synthetic.

That being said, if you look around the forum you should be able to find some used oil analysis for people who go ~7500 miles with synthetic in an 07-09. As long as you're using good synthetic oil and a good filter I think you can safely go 7500 miles and not have any warranty issues, unless they specifically ask you for documentation. I've been pushing my last couple oil changes out to 6k miles and haven't noticed any differences.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If I may, my 2010 came out with 0-20. The oil filter cartridge is mounted at the 6-O clock and with the factory skids it's a little bit of a PIA. The 2010 engine has several differences, one being more HP and better gas mileage than the other FJ's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If I may, my 2010 came out with 0-20. The oil filter cartridge is mounted at the 6-O clock and with the factory skids it's a little bit of a PIA. The 2010 engine has several differences, one being more HP and better gas mileage than the other FJ's.
2010 is a very different engine on the inside. Used OCA show that 10K mile is fine for the 10+.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts