Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my TRD intake this morning. Can anyone guess what I'm doing after work? Pics to follow.

CB

·
Registered
61 Posts
does it make that whistling noise like others have complained about? I don't mind it just being louder...but the whistle would drive me finace' nuts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does it make that whistling noise like others have complained about? I don't mind it just being louder...but the whistle would drive me finace' nuts.
I had read the one post about the whistling noise before purchasing my intake. After the installation there was a slight whistle at idle but as the engine warmed up the noise went away. So seeing how the intake is designed and assembled I can see a few areas that could cause the noise.

The first area for concern is a small black plug that needs to be installed into a 3mm hole in the bottom portion of the air filter housing. If that plug is not installed I can guarantee that a whistling noise will come from there as the engine is inhaling. I would double check to make sure that plug is installed. I am not sure why there is a hole in the air filter housing but there is.

Secondly, when installing the silicone couplers to the main tube, if they're not attached just right (more so on the larger coupler that attaches the tube to the air cleaner box) a lip can be created and as the air passes over that lip that could cause a noise as well. I saw this lip when I was pre-assembling the system before install. I made sure that the coupler was positioned just right. The installation instructions say to tightened the clamps on the couplers after everything is installed but I tightened the coupler to the air filter housing first to ensure that the lip would not happen. Give that a look see.

Lastly the air filter service reminder and the 2 vacuum hose should be checked just to make sure there is a proper fit. Also check the bolts holding air box to the fender, if those are loose and the rubber grommets are not sealing the box correctly you could get some air coming in from there.

Aside from that its a great setup, its nice and quiet under 3000 rpm and when the vvt-i kicks in it sounds just bad ass!!! I love it!

You can certainly tell there is improved throttle response in the lower end and definitely some added torque. Over 3000 rpm you can tell its moving a bit quicker than the stock set up. So I can say that there are some performance benefits from this intake.

Money well spent!

CB

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first picture is the correct Intake.

·
Registered
308 Posts
And I was wondering about using something like this with a safari snorkel, anyone done this? Sorry if this is somewhere else probably should search before a quick post eh?

·
Registered
446 Posts
And I was wondering about using something like this with a safari snorkel, anyone done this? Sorry if this is somewhere else probably should search before a quick post eh?
Yes ....it is definitely possible to use the Sarari Snorkel along with the new TRD intake pictured above. In fact its like they are made for each other ...LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
AWESOME! I didn't know these were out. How much are they?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The intake could be mated to the Safari snorkel but you will have to find a coupler of some kind to make it work. It wouldn't be very hard at all.

CB

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed this on my 2011nsse two days ago and I love it. It sounds normal until about 4krpms and then it wakes up and screams all the way to redline!!! I'm sure it will increase efficiency as the intake is straight and free of obstructions like the resonator chamber. 400$ is not that much for the smiles you get when you wrap it out getting on the freeway!!

The best part is that it is quiet under normal driving...like growl on demand.

To paraphrase Clarkson..."it sounds like god is under the hood and he's very angry about something!"

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I have had mine for about a month. More power when you stomp on it. No gas mileage increase for me and if you do stomp, it is worse. Sounds really cool and it's pretty.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
So what's the difference between the factory Vs TRD? Looks to me it's only the filter design? Does TRD claim any type of gains? What's the advantage is any?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The factory has a more restrictive inlet to the airbox and the runner from the airbox to the throttle body is nowhere near as smooth and efficient. One big difference is the resonator chambers are eliminated on the TRD intake. The elimination of the resonator has two benefits, first is the obvious, your intake sounds a hell of a lot cooler because the resonator isn't cancelling out the intake tone. Second, by eliminating the resonator chamber they make the intake smoother and less turbulent meaning more efficient air flow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts