Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Question for you guys who have installed the Mag SC on a 2010+ FJ: I currently have a tranny cooler mounted in front of my radiator. If I get the Mag SC...will I have to remove it to put the Mag SC radiator in instead? Can all 3 theoretically mount in that space?? I guess it would be a lot of blockage for the FJ radiator eh?

Thx

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
Question for you guys who have installed the Mag SC on a 2010+ FJ: I currently have a tranny cooler mounted in front of my radiator. If I get the Mag SC...will I have to remove it to put the Mag SC radiator in instead? Can all 3 theoretically mount in that space?? I guess it would be a lot of blockage for the FJ radiator eh?

Thx

Mike
The SC intercooler is not the full size of the main engine radiator - there's still "space" below it. What's the footprint of your transmission cooler? Where's it currently mounted? Is it a full box with reservoir & fins, or just one of those "coil in front of the main radiator" things that some folks run?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It’s a box with fins. I don’t think I have a pic of it... but it covers about half of the available space in front of the radiator just under the horn.

Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here Steph. This is what we did. Given this was the first ever Supercharger install on an FJ for the 2010-2017 models. We had to improvise a few things to make room for the winch and pump. The pump was moved to the more towards the passenger side as you see in the picture. Hoses were slightly re routed to the pump. (We later added a hose to the lower part of the pump that didn't droop so much).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here Steph. This is what we did. Given this was the first ever Supercharger install on an FJ for the 2010-2017 models. We had to improvise a few things to make room for the winch and pump. The pump was moved to the more towards the passenger side as you see in the picture. Hoses were slightly re routed to the pump. (We later added a hose to the lower part of the pump that didn't droop so much).

The problem is that between the chassis frame and the bumper Demello there is almost no space, just spacing the pipe of the air conditioner.
I surrounded the problems in the photo.
Unless I have room between the radiator SC and the relocated support to pass the pipe to route it to the other side

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If the aftermarket bumper doesn't leave enough space, can you cut back that edge of the bumper to create needed space? Or, if it is the beam itself, can you drill new holes in its mounting brackets to shift the whole thing forward enough?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just tested the assembly, it is impossible to mount the pump with my bumper.
Even assuming that I make a new pump stand so that it is pressed against the radiator so back, the pump protrudes too much and I can not ride my Demello bumper and there is no feasible location or right or left.
The pump does not fall into the winch housing but below, no solution at this level.
The solution will be to place it as @ football751

For those who are passing pipes they will be right, maybe a little bit crushed but it should go

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I just tested the assembly, it is impossible to mount the pump with my bumper.

Even assuming that I make a new pump stand so that it is pressed against the radiator so back, the pump protrudes too much and I can not ride my Demello bumper and there is no feasible location or right or left.

The pump does not fall into the winch housing but below, no solution at this level.

The solution will be to place it as @ football751

For those who are passing pipes they will be right, maybe a little bit crushed but it should go
Oh I see what u mean , u have very little space to pass the two hoses from the heat exchanger. Can you make a notch or shave an access on your demello bumper so the hoses pass by?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
The pipes are gone right!
Small problem where there is the driver side hose with the air conditioner hose.
I added protection but it strongly supports the air conditioner hose.

Tomorrow I will try to find elbows to connect the tank to the pump.

It would be good to put some information to modify these elements of the kit Magnuson because I think that most of those who mount this kit has a modified FJ and meets a problem of installation.
And arranged the catalog because we mix between 4Runner and FJ

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
The pipes are gone right!

Small problem where there is the driver side hose with the air conditioner hose.

I added protection but it strongly supports the air conditioner hose.

Tomorrow I will try to find elbows to connect the tank to the pump.

It would be good to put some information to modify these elements of the kit Magnuson because I think that most of those who mount this kit has a modified FJ and meets a problem of installation.

And arranged the catalog because we mix between 4Runner and FJ
U gotta bend the AC line slightly. So it clears the hose. It's aluminum so it can easily bend just be careful when doing so.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
it is the misery here, all the morning to seek, impossible to find elbows 19mm to make the modification of the connection ��

·
Registered
315 Posts
@ football751, is it possible that you are a link at worst the exact name of these 90 degree elbows with thermoformable ring?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
"@ football751, is it possible that you are a link at worst the exact name of these 90 degree elbows with thermoformable ring?"

Translation: please post a link to the elbows, or provide the exact name (for a successful search for them)

:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
"@ football751, is it possible that you are a link at worst the exact name of these 90 degree elbows with thermoformable ring?"

Translation: please post a link to the elbows, or provide the exact name (for a successful search for them)

:)

😅😅:grin

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
@steph99 I don’t remember where I got them, I think I just went to the local auto parts store and picked them up. You could also use 0.75” elbows if you can’t find 19mm, they’re the same size. Not sure what your options are for online ordering the Ivory Coast.

·
Registered
315 Posts
@steph99 I don’t remember where I got them, I think I just went to the local auto parts store and picked them up. You could also use 0.75” elbows if you can’t find 19mm, they’re the same size. Not sure what your options are for online ordering the Ivory Coast.
No, there is nothing locally, we searched for 2 days. we find 45 degrees soldering stainless steel, I'll see Monday ...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello guys,

I finished installing the pump, I made the simplest with what I found locally, I hope not to leak.
Hopefully I start my FJ tomorrow.

I think in the future I will probably change the location of the pump and its connection again.

After several research, I found where the supplies come with the Magnuson kit

https://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/28624/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/28476/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/p/Gates/Gates-Power-Grip-Clamps/943359/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/28472/10002/-1

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just started the FJ, no problem apparent, I was afraid that our essence here is too poor and causes detonations, I hope it will continue like this.

On the contrary, when filling the water, I was able to put only 1.5L in the small tank off they speak in the manual of 3L, I tried to pump the pipes but the level does not go down, I hope it there is no problem at this level

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hi Steph,
I am worried about the octane of your fuel. Based on your statement "I (am) afraid that our essence here is too poor and causes detonations".

For the S/C, a minimum of 91 octane is required (using the US rating, roughly equivalent to 95 RON European rating system).

If the ECU is capable of retarding the ignition timing sufficiently to protect the engine, you'll get low power and very low fuel economy. If the octane goes below what the ECU can compensate for, you can harm the engine. This is why successful Baja 1000 racers don't supercharge their motors, they typically run stock setups, due to the generally low quality of the fuel available in Mexico.

My understanding is based on the TRD S/C, so you may want to confirm with Magnussen about this in detail.
Norm

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Steph,
I am worried about the octane of your fuel. Based on your statement "I (am) afraid that our essence here is too poor and causes detonations".

For the S/C, a minimum of 91 octane is required (using the US rating, roughly equivalent to 95 RON European rating system).

If the ECU is capable of retarding the ignition timing sufficiently to protect the engine, you'll get low power and very low fuel economy. If the octane goes below what the ECU can compensate for, you can harm the engine. This is why successful Baja 1000 racers don't supercharge their motors, they typically run stock setups, due to the generally low quality of the fuel available in Mexico.

My understanding is based on the TRD S/C, so you may want to confirm with Magnussen about this in detail.
Norm

I made several laps without forcing in my neighborhood, for the moment no suspicious noise.
At worst I would see, I have a garage here that sells octane motul.
After my FJ already consumes a lot ...
Nobody here is able to give me the octane number of gasoline

Otherwise I will check this afternoon if the water pump is able to pump because I put only 1.5L in the tank which I think can because they say 3L.
The radiator is at room temperature and the outputs (a soft one) and the top, closer to the very hot engine.
I'm going to unplug the radiator's final hose to see if the pump is doing its job or if it sucks empty.
In all that there is no leak and everything is tight

I tried editing too with my dougthorley the sound is really different from your facilities, I have not pushed yet but it seems close to before installation

181 - 200 of 226 Posts