Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you surely know, finding parts for 2010+ FJs is like finding another Dead Sea Scroll. Namely, anything related to lower control arms. Toyota doesn't have an actual lower ball joint part number or sell them individually. And they want over $110 for a pair of control arm bushings (best price I've found is a dealership that ships in Olathe, KS).

As much as I hate Moog, I even thought I'd give a pair of 'Problem Solver' lined lowers a shot since I'd like to replace the LBJ in addition to the bushings. No dice anywhere I've looked. SPC, Moog, you name it only make 07-09 lowers, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Thankfully, @Bolfunga just posted a thread with some Centrics, which are the first ones I've seen from a reputable company, as opposed to weird Chicom stuff that only costs $40 for a complete LCA. I checked this part number on CarID and it checks out with a '12 FJC selected. Questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone have any other part numbers or "real" brands who manufacture a lower control arm for 2010+ that they have personal experience with? Bear in mind, this truck is camped/wheeled, so I'm looking for a recognizable brand and experience with a truck that's used properly.

2. Would you rather do an AC Delco Professional series lower ball joint+OEM bushings for a rebuild, or trust the Centric complete assembly?

3. Does anyone know why third party stuff for 10s-14s is so impossible to find?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Most FJs sold were from 2007-2009, and there was a design change on the lower arms in 2010. Most aftermarket suppliers don't seem to think it's worthwhile to tool up for the few 2010-2014s that are out there (I've been wading through this issue myself).

I was generally upgrading suspension parts anyway, so I went with Dirt King Fabrication's ball joint lower control arms for 2010+. Sticker shock warning - OEM lower control arms are cheaper. Much cheaper. But the DKs are rebuildable with off-the-shelf ball joints and bushings so I view it as an investment as I don't plan to sell this FJ as long as I can drive.

I have seen mentioned rebuilding the OEM arms, but it takes a serious press and knowledge of what replacement parts to use.

·
Premium Member
11,923 Posts
Lower control arm bushings are straight forward change - a torch and bottle jack is all you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll let you know how it went once I get them installed but I need to solve 2 issues before I can do that. 1; Need to find a DIY garage near Annapolis MD, I need high CFL Compressor 4 my snapon soda blaster so I can get off temp Amsoil and do my chassis right with Navel Jelly first. 2 Need to find out if cam bolts and sleeves are supposed to fit snugly in bushing sleeves and not be able to rattle around or are those Centrics the correct LCAs with the wrong bushings preinstalled.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,994 Posts
I know of other 10+ owners who simply went with OE LCAs, and even tho mine’s an 07 that’s what I’ll do when the time comes - can’t beat the quality. Why Toyota doesn’t sell the balljoint separately is a mystery, but I know for a fact that dealerships replace with Moog. Olathe and Cool Springs Toyota do seem to have the best prices, and Cool Springs will throw in an extra discount for us as Forum members (they’re a sponsor here). Ask to speak with Roman 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the advice and the info (I will definitely check out Cool Springs for other parts I might want) but I don't have any issues with coil springs or ball Joints. My problem is figuring out whether or not my LCAs have the correct bushings installed.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,994 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the advice and the info (I will definitely check out Cool Springs for other parts I might want) but I don't have any issues with coil springs or ball Joints. My problem is figuring out whether or not my LCAs have the correct bushings installed.
There should be no play, nice and tight. Where did you buy the LCAs? I’d def contact them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought them from CAR ID, I've actually contacted them several times. They're basically telling me they've started an investigation to figure out the issue and there waiting to hear back from the manufacturer which probably means I'll never hear anything (especially with the current state of events) so I'll probably end up returning them and saving up for OEM.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Rock Auto does not list a lower control arm for a 2010. They show two different AC Delco lower ball joints at $26 & $30 each. And they only list replacement UCA bushings. I haven't found anyone else that offers anything different/better.
The two Toyota dealers mentioned previously seem to be a good source. And as also mentioned, there is aftermarket at a higher price-point.

Good luck in your search! :D(y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was told on my '13TT that they do not sell the LCA bushings separate that you have to buy the whole LCA! Dealer quoted like $350 ea.!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts