Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm mostly into vintage rigs and motorcycles, and this is only my 2nd new vehicle I've ever bought, but I've been loving my '10 FJC since last summer. I picked up this rig at my local dealer who was ready to wheel and deal. I left that evening with paperwork signed for my new Army Green (finally a color I liked!) 6spd manual FJC, back in May. It sat in my warehouse driveway for the next 90 days as I was in NW Territories of Australia for June and then upon my return started to source, research and order my parts for the modding fun. Having spent most of my June in Australian NW back country wheeling around in a loaned Prado on a wildlife research project didn't help me feeling a bit antsy to get home and begin working on my new killer FJC. In the land of ARB and TLCs, I had an eyeful of all sorts of 4WDs and assorted kit.

I did a lot of research on what was available to get for my FJC here on this forum. An amazing resource. Some killer build ups here and a lot of inspiration. I built this rig up for what I would want to use it mostly for and that was getting out to go camping, shooting on BLM, and wheeling on trails. No serious rock crawling as a focus.

Here's the list of mods so far:

• Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit
  • Sears Platinum Batteries
  • BFG AT KO 285/75/16's
  • American Eagle Series 100 Black Wheels
  • ICON Stage 3 Suspension Kit
  • OEM Rails with Steps
  • Body Armor Front Bumper
  • Super Winch EPi 9.0
  • LoD Rear Bumper with rack and MFC carriers
  • Tuffy Locking Center Console
  • Husky Liners
  • MPAC MOLLE System
  • Metal Grille
  • TRD Black Bezel Swap
  • OE Black Mirror and Door Handle Swap
  • Red LED Vanity Light Swap for Interior *Reminds me of C130 interiors..eh, pure fluff but fun
  • Black Roof Paint
  • Tail Light Brush Guards
  • Head Light Stone Guards
  • Black "TRD" Shifter Knobs *Found on ebay, exactly the same as TRD, from same factory but without "TRD" marks. Fraction of the cost.
  • Baja Rack *Not mounted at the time of the pics

Still want to get some good skid plates, but ran low on funds and time. Would like to upgrade my head lights at some point, but and still undecided and haven't done enough research on that yet.

BTW, for any shooters, last I heard, the Tuffy Center Console with lock is considered a legal vehicle storage gun case/box by the CA DOJ. There is a small hole in the sheet metal on the drivers side which is perfect to bolt on one of those cheapo Fobus holsters on the inside of the console.

I usually run my Garmin 1690 GPS, but haven't decided the best mounting solution yet. The MPAC system is genius and I can use all of my MOLLE pouches inside my rig to organize my stuff and road kit.

I did vacillate on what front bumper to get for awhile. I hate superfluous logos and IMHO some good front bumper designs are diminished by over decoration. The 72lb rating on the bumper was also a good weight savings. The Body Armor bumper isn't perhaps as elegantly designed as some others, but for what I use this Cruiser for, it's been great and about half the weight of a steelie.

I'm glad I finally got one of these. Not often I can say "I love" a new rig, but for my '10 FJC, I do. :bigthumb:

If any Norcal Wheelers see this rig out by Tumney or Panoche Hills on a Sat or Sun, that'll be me. Come by and say hello. :cheers:

Great, informative forum. Everything I got for my FJC was researched here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
730 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice looking rig. I too have an 2010 AG. I like the roof paint. I was actually thinking about either paint or line-x. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get it done and how much did it run you for the paint?

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Nice set - up.

Noticed you're using BFG AT KO 285/75/16 tires.

At what lift height are you running them, what alignment settings, and have you had any rubbing / had a body mount chop done?

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
Very nice clean build and thanks for the info on the Tuffy console. I've used both BudBuild and DeMello Offroad skidplates and recommend both. BTW, love my 000 gear--very functional and durable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking rig. I too have an 2010 AG. I like the roof paint. I was actually thinking about either paint or line-x. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get it done and how much did it run you for the paint?
I got the roof done at a local custom car paint shop in SF up by the Russian Hill area. I shopped around for prices and Yelp reviews and ended up at this shop which was rated highly by its customers and also noted as being reasonable. They turned it around for me in a few days, and it was perfect with quality paint and clear coat. I think it ran me around $600 or so.

Since then I found a local guy about 15 minutes south of SF who is a Rhino-Liner paint shop. I've been seriously considering re-doing my roof and hood. He was recommended by a friend and said he would do my roof and hood for around $600. It kinda kills me to think about painting again ontop perfectly good paint I already paid for, maybe next year...:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice clean build and thanks for the info on the Tuffy console. I've used both BudBuild and DeMello Offroad skidplates and recommend both. BTW, love my 000 gear--very functional and durable.
Thanks, will check out both outfits for skid plates.

Glad you're digging the 000 Gear :bigthumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice set - up.

Noticed you're using BFG AT KO 285/75/16 tires.

At what lift height are you running them, what alignment settings, and have you had any rubbing / had a body mount chop done?
The ICON kit had given me about 2" +/- of lift. My BFGs were the size recommended by ICON for this kit. The wheels I got were not my first choice, but the American Racing wheels were like 6 weeks out from every dealer last summer when I tried to get them, so I went with these American Eagles. I found the wheels on ebay and at a great price for all 5. The back spacing was not the 5 as spec'ed by ICON, but everything fit. To be honest, I don't know my alignment setting since the last time I last had Gary over at MUDRAKs do the alignment. No body mount chop. I considered it, but after reading some of the instructional posts here, I put it off.

The only time my tires have rubbed, and only slightly, is making the tightest turn possible at speed while making those SF city u-turns to snag a parking space on the opposite of the street. :lol:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Awesome built Patrick!

Can't wait to see more, and I love my TAD Ranger Hoodie!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Beautiful rig! I love the Black top with the Army Green color. Well done! And your patience is amazing to deal with waiting 90 days to play with your brand new rig. I would have lost my mind!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Very nicely done!

·
Registered
179 Posts
great write up I really like the army green color.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts