Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 FJ has a seized caliper so I am thinking of doing a big brake upgrade while replacing all the components.

From my research I saw a few options but my question is do they apply to the 2010+ FJ since they are on the 150 chassis. Most of the Posts were 2009 and earlier.

The one route is GX470 or V8 4Runner. Another route is the 5th gen 4 runner brakes.

Are these still applicable for the 2010+ crowd?

My logic is the Lexus 150 would be a GX460 (and do GX460 brakes fit?) and do the 2010+ FJ's not just have the same bakes as a 5th gen?

Thanks!

· Vendor
9,694 Posts
The ultimate upgrade for the front brakes are these: RR Racing Front Big Brake Kit for Lexus GX460 GX470 & Toyota 4Runner

And they're not that wildly priced IMO. I have the RR racing kit on my '07 and it uses 5th gen T4R rotors.

If you look at part compatibilities below for toyota P/N 47730-35411 (Disc Brake Caliper (Right, Front)) you'll find the 2010+ FJ models are nothing special.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

I would purchase the highest quality front calipers you can afford for a 5th gen 4runner (I had major issues with Centric, get Toyota OEM if you want them to last another 150k or Willwoods. It was beaten as a dead horse in this thread that the rear components on a 2010+ FJ can be upgraded to 5th gen 4runner parts but the difference in size is not much IIRC.
StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY)

· Registered
70 Posts
The ultimate upgrade for the front brakes are these: RR Racing Front Big Brake Kit for Lexus GX460 GX470 & Toyota 4Runner

And they're not that wildly priced IMO. I have the RR racing kit on my '07 and it uses 5th gen T4R rotors.

If you look at part compatibilities below for toyota P/N 47730-35411 (Disc Brake Caliper (Right, Front)) you'll find the 2010+ FJ models are nothing special.

View attachment 1214011

I would purchase the highest quality front calipers you can afford for a 5th gen 4runner (I had major issues with Centric, get Toyota OEM if you want them to last another 150k or Willwoods. It was beaten as a dead horse in this thread that the rear components on a 2010+ FJ can be upgraded to 5th gen 4runner parts but the difference in size is not much IIRC.
StopTech true BIG Brake Kit for 400$ (DIY)
How many much of a performance difference in braking do you feel? I'm debating getting the RR racing kit

· Vendor
9,694 Posts
How many much of a performance difference in braking do you feel? I'm debating getting the RR racing kit
It's awesome if you need to stop big tires 35"+. On regular pads they're not going to bite as harsh as a Corvette Z06, but they definitely can make 35's feel like stock tires. I think they locked up 37's. My 39's are definitely pushing the stopping distance a little further out now though.

Using ss lines makes a world of difference in the pedal feel too.

· Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
1,078 Posts
One thing to note on big brake kits is the impact to your suspension while braking hard in a straight line or corners. The front end of the truck is going dip when you get on the brakes. I have seen some scary situations on the track where under braking the suspension loaded up and the driver was not ready for the unloading.

· Registered
70 Posts
It's awesome if you need to stop big tires 35"+. On regular pads they're not going to bite as harsh as a Corvette Z06, but they definitely can make 35's feel like stock tires. I think they locked up 37's. My 39's are definitely pushing the stopping distance a little further out now though.

Using ss lines makes a world of difference in the pedal feel too.
This is the response I was looking for. I am going to go to 35s in a few months and want the stopping power before I do so. I'll make sure to grab a set of these. THANK YOU!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts