Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a nice brush guard for my 2010. I do not like Toyota's and would prefer a nice aftermarket kit. I like the brush guards the connect to the under carriage and not the bumper. Also, Toyota is telling me that the design for the skid plates for 2010 models has changed due to the redesign of the under carriage. They say that the skid plate is not yet available which I purchased as a part of the deal. I am wanting to go aftermarket on this as well. Seen some sites that carry these items but nothing specific for the 2010. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I am looking for a nice brush guard for my 2010. I do not like Toyota's and would prefer a nice aftermarket kit. I like the brush guards the connect to the under carriage and not the bumper. Also, Toyota is telling me that the design for the skid plates for 2010 models has changed due to the redesign of the under carriage. They say that the skid plate is not yet available which I purchased as a part of the deal. I am wanting to go aftermarket on this as well. Seen some sites that carry these items but nothing specific for the 2010. Any suggestions?
I got Ricochet skids (not all) for my 2010..

FJ Cruiser Skid Plate

You can contact cnckart (Brad) he is extremely helpful :bigthumb:

·
fka Mojave FJ
452 Posts
The Toyota skid hangs pretty low but that brush guard that attaches to the undercarriage hangs even lower so if you don't care about approach angle then it should work. I like the Toyota brushguard/light bar because it doesn't compromise approach angle like the aftermarket ones.

Here's what my Toyota skid looked like the day after I bought it, I have since removed it, and will probably get Ricochet skids.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got Ricochet skids (not all) for my 2010..

FJ Cruiser Skid Plate

You can contact cnckart (Brad) he is extremely helpful :bigthumb:

WOW! That thing looks so much sweeter and more exact on fitment than the Toyota one. No offense Raoul, but the Toyota one looks like it came from another vehicle and was retro fitted on. It is too bulky looking and the edges don't seem to be where they should... IMO...

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I'm basically in the same boat as the OP. Looking for various skid plates for my 2010. Sorry for the noob question but how much protection is an aluminum skid plate? Seems that it would be prone to bending, distorting and gouging. I'm not looking for armor to protect me from roadside IED's but are their some heavier metal options?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Seems that it would be prone to bending, distorting and gouging. I'm not looking for armor to protect me from roadside IED's but are their some heavier metal options?
The Ricochet Front Bash Plate's made of 0.25'' thick aluminum.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah, 1/4" is a lot of aluminum; I don't think it's going to bend or warp and as far as gouging, well, that's what you want (as opposed to failing). Plus, it's much lighter than steel; I'll be going with Ricochets when I get around to it.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
This is exactly why I like this forum... left to myself I would use my noob reasoning and lack of offroading experience to make poor real world decisions. Thanks for the input guys. A lil more reading, researching and learning and I'll be doing some undercarriage armor for my next mod.

Yeah, 1/4" is a lot of aluminum; I don't think it's going to bend or warp and as far as gouging, well, that's what you want (as opposed to failing). Plus, it's much lighter than steel; I'll be going with Ricochets when I get around to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your reply's. I seen a nice 4 piece set plates at this site.
BudBuilt Frames & Accessories

I do like the front bumper kits that include the guards and wench. Since I have stock suspension, could I get a replacement bumper w/guard and wench without upgrading my front suspension?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all your reply's. I seen a nice 4 piece set plates at this site.
BudBuilt Frames & Accessories

I do like the front bumper kits that include the guards and wench. Since I have stock suspension, could I get a replacement bumper w/guard and wench without upgrading my front suspension?
Has anyone seen this undercarriage?

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone seen this undercarriage?
I know this is a few years old. Yes I've seen that skid plate. What you're seeing is one of the original concept FJ Cruisers. That's a metal bumper and billets, as well as the skid plate. Also notice the recovery points are different than on the production FJ. It would have been great if they could have mass produced what's in that photo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts