Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
planning to but an air filter for my 2010 FJ and I have found those three brands, which one is the best in a matter of engine sound, performance and cleaning.
plus they have dry and oiled one which one is better if I am driving in desert on weekends?

First: TRD 61 USD

Second: afe 54 USD

Third: K&N 54 USD

Thanks
:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'd stay away from the K&N... especially for desert applications... and other daily driver applications... It requires much more maintenance. The stock filter is great but if you have to replace it go TRD... Just my $.02

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks JackRabbit_Slim for the replay, I was searching for full air intake from TRD but unfortunately I didnt found any, and I dont know when they are going to make one.

it seems I will buy the TRD drop in filter.

thanks again :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM filter is very restrictive, you will see what i am talking about when you get it out. I went with TRD one. Worth every penny. :)
when I saw the OEM filter at first I said this "thing has to be changed immediately" :bigthumb:

I was doing comparison between TRD vs afe, TRD is 4 plys and afe is 5 plys do you think this will make difference? does 5 plys give more protection from dust?

both of them are oiled filters I dont know if TRD or afe have dry filter or not?

these are the links I have found:

TRD

afe

if any one has other links kindly pass them :rocker:

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you want to go with a Hi Flow drop in please go with the TRD as its best.

I have tried the K & N and the TRD and feel the TRD was superior.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i go alot on Desert trips with friends.. i got myself the AFE Pro Dry S since its not oiled it wont need maintenance every now and then. Plus its very dusty in the summer here so a dry Performance filter would be the go.
BTW, no need for an air intake in the 2010, the OEM intake is similar copy of the TRD intake just with baffles. Get rid of them and its a TRDish intake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to go with a Hi Flow drop in please go with the TRD as its best.

I have tried the K & N and the TRD and feel the TRD was superior.
It seems I need everything in one filter :bandit:, which is not possible, Hi flow + best protection + less maintenance, I really like the TRD filter but some times I spend 2 days in desert with friends and I should keep the dust a way from engine.

i go alot on Desert trips with friends.. i got myself the AFE Pro Dry S since its not oiled it wont need maintenance every now and then. Plus its very dusty in the summer here so a dry Performance filter would be the go.
BTW, no need for an air intake in the 2010, the OEM intake is similar copy of the TRD intake just with baffles. Get rid of them and its a TRDish intake.
I check the afe website, didnt find any dry drop in filter for fj 2010, could you please send me the link.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Re: 2010 FJ Air fitel TRD vs afe vs K&N

I say go cheap for the desert and spray it with red oil. My dirt bike is run in the sand and it has a piece of foam sprayed with red oil and its fine. Never had an issue. My RC cars have a similar set up and I run them on a baseball field with tons of dust.

Put the good filter in on the street.

My 2 cents

________
The Sanctuary of Truth Wong Amat

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was using the K&N, the problem with it and any other oiled filter is that in dusty environments, all the dust sticks to the filter and it loads up fast. I quite literally had a big spot of mud on the filter where the air flows in. I switched to the AFE dryflow and am much happier. As far as performance gains I cant tell the difference between the dry flow and the K&N.

I have no experience with the TRD, but as an oiled filter I would bet it has the same problem as the K&N

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I say go cheap for the desert and spray it with red oil. My dirt bike is run in the sand and it has a piece of foam sprayed with red oil and its fine. Never had an issue. My RC cars have a similar set up and I run them on a baseball field with tons of dust.

Put the good filter in on the street.

My 2 cents

YouTube - Baseball Diamond Drifting the SCRT10
I can use the fj factory filter in desert and TRD on the street, but i prefer to use one filter instead.

by the way nice car :rocker:

I was using the K&N, the problem with it and any other oiled filter is that in dusty environments, all the dust sticks to the filter and it loads up fast. I quite literally had a big spot of mud on the filter where the air flows in. I switched to the AFE dryflow and am much happier. As far as performance gains I cant tell the difference between the dry flow and the K&N.

I have no experience with the TRD, but as an oiled filter I would bet it has the same problem as the K&N
the problem is i couldn't find dry filter for 2010 so far

1 - 14 of 14 Posts